Thread: Exhaust gasket

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Exhaust gasket

Took my spyder in for my 12,000 mile service, and when my mechanic started my bike he said you need to replace your exhaust gaskets can you hear how load they are? I said not with my ears I don't. He said listen for the popping as the hit the throttler. Again I said not with my ears. Mind you I should wear hearing aids, but don't. He said do you feel the heat, and I said always. I told him if he says I need them go ahead and replace them, but will you install the Honda gaskets? He said BRP has improved theirs, but if I want Honda's he will install those. I told him to install the Honda's, as I have not heard anything about BRP improving their gaskets.

My question is has anyone found that BRP has improved their gaskets, and if so, are they now better than the Honda gaskets? Maybe BRP did improve their gaskets, and that was why he did not notice them being bad at my 9000 (8847 miles) service.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

I can't say with certainty, but I suspect they are improved. The 2008s and 2009s went through the gaskets in short order. We haven't heard the kind of complaints about the later RS's. How the newer ones compare to the Goldwing gaskets is anybody's guess, but I suspect the new BRP gaskets will last longer than 3,000-5,000 miles now.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    Took my spyder in for my 12,000 mile service, and when my mechanic started my bike he said you need to replace your exhaust gaskets can you hear how load they are? I said not with my ears I don't. He said listen for the popping as the hit the throttler. Again I said not with my ears. Mind you I should wear hearing aids, but don't. He said do you feel the heat, and I said always. I told him if he says I need them go ahead and replace them, but will you install the Honda gaskets? He said BRP has improved theirs, but if I want Honda's he will install those. I told him to install the Honda's, as I have not heard anything about BRP improving their gaskets.

My question is has anyone found that BRP has improved their gaskets, and if so, are they now better than the Honda gaskets? Maybe BRP did improve their gaskets, and that was why he did not notice them being bad at my 9000 (8847 miles) service.
    I asked my mechanic to take a picture of them so I can see how bad they were. Will post if he remembers to send them.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold