Thread: Double Trouble

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Double Trouble

.....and the dealer can't figure out what's happening, either.....

This is a follow up to an earlier post about my parking brake locking, and not releasing. Here's the latest twist - two versions.

There are times now when the parking brake won't engage.
    There are also other times when after it's engaged, it won't unlock.

In both cases, the windshield won't raise or lower (yep, the bike's on).

When the brake issues go away, the windshield works again.

The dealer said since the errors didn't throw fault codes into the ECU, they have NO idea what it is. They've never seen these two things go bad at the same time. He's convinced there's a gremlin in the wiring.

What I do know is, that if the bike sits for a bit (at least 15 minutes), the system recycles and SOMETIMES that clears the problems up.

Thoughts - prayers - ideas?

Five Bikes

Spyder Garage

I'd guess either a wiring flaw, bad connection, electrical short...or a bad cluster. Your dealer is gonna need help on this one. He needs to contact BRP dealer tech support, and get the brains at Wausau working on this one.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Convinced ?

Quote Originally Posted by Five Bikes View Post
    .....and the dealer can't figure out what's happening, either.....

This is a follow up to an earlier post about my parking brake locking, and not releasing. Here's the latest twist - two versions.

There are times now when the parking brake won't engage.
    There are also other times when after it's engaged, it won't unlock.

In both cases, the windshield won't raise or lower (yep, the bike's on).

When the brake issues go away, the windshield works again.

The dealer said since the errors didn't throw fault codes into the ECU, they have NO idea what it is. They've never seen these two things go bad at the same time. He's convinced there's a gremlin in the wiring. Then he should exercise his GO TO rights with BRP support. DARN!!

What I do know is, that if the bike sits for a bit (at least 15 minutes), the system recycles and SOMETIMES that clears the problems up.

Thoughts - prayers - ideas?

Five Bikes

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I read in the manual that ws and park brake are controled by the same module so maybe check relays and fuses or it could be the module

Spyder Garage

Good call! The wiring diagram shows the parking brake and windshield to be controlled by the same module...the windshield and parking brake module. (What else would they call it?) You might also check Main Relay 2 and Fuse F3. I'd also check for a loose or corroded/dirty connector. There are some on the outputs to the brake actuator and WS motor, several between the switch and the module, and some between the CANBus and module as well. Surprised there are no fault codes. The shop manual lists several for this module. All appear to be involved with power, switches, or limit switches, though so a fault on the output wouldn't trigger a code. Could just be a faulty WPM module, too.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 09-09-2012 at 03:02 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Good call! The wiring diagram shows the parking brake and windshield to be controlled by the same module...the windshield and parking brake module. (What else would they call it?) You might also check main relay 32 and Fuse F3. I'd also check for a loose or corroded/dirty connector. There are some on the outputs to the brake actuator and WS motor, several between the switch and the module, and some between the CANBus and module as well. Surprised there are no fault codes. The shop manual lists several for this module. All appear to be involved with power, switches, or limit switches, though so a fault on the output wouldn't trigger a code. Could just be a faulty WPM module, too.
    Haven't ridden for a week or so; back to shop, tore down bike; couldn't find problem.

Rode today; same problem occurred. I don't have the service manual; just the owner's manual. Where can I find the items you reference above - are both in the front fuse box? (I think I know which ones you're referring to, but I want to make darn sure before I tell the shop to get me a new module.).

Thanks much -

Five Bikes

Spyder Garage

Haven't ridden for a week or so; back to shop, tore down bike; couldn't find problem.

Rode today; same problem occurred. I don't have the service manual; just the owner's manual. Where can I find the items you reference above - are both in the front fuse box? (I think I know which ones you're referring to, but I want to make darn sure before I tell the shop to get me a new module.).

Thanks much -

Five Bikes
    They are in the front fuse box. Not the tyo in my original post, it's Main Relay 2. I have corrected my original.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    They are in the front fuse box. Not the tyo in my original post, it's Main Relay 2. I have corrected my original.
    Is Fuse F3 directly above the relay?

Thanks,

Don

ps - how much is the service manual? If this continues, I might need one.....

Spyder Garage

Is Fuse F3 directly above the relay?

Thanks,

Don

ps - how much is the service manual? If this continues, I might need one.....
    If I recall correctly, there is a diagram inside the lid. Main Relay 2 is the 3rd one from the left in the long row, with the long row at the top. Fuse 3 is the same, right above Main Relay 2. Shop manuals available online or via eBay.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!