Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Getting my Spyder before long and need to set up for rigid wheelchair and dog

I will hopefully be getting a Spyder really soon. I need ideas for setting up for a rigid wheelchair and a small service dog. Prue will always be with me when I take the Spyder out so I want to make sure she is comfortable. I am choosing the RS because it will be easier to put a wheelchair mount on it and it's lower so I will be able to transfer to it and get the chair up easier, plus it's cheaper. I am still trying to figure out how to adapt for my service dog (4 pound Chihuahua) to ride with me and be comfortable. I have see Teddy's setup but that is on an RT and I will not have the nice back seat that Teddy has. Wondering if y'all have any ideas for me for this, Thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am not sure of your situation and I might be giving you information that you already have, but you might utilize a rehab engineer through vocational rehab or a local CIL, or your state Tech Act program. In Georgia, we have several programs that will help in some creative engineering for assistive technology and vehicle modifications. Our agency works with the Georgia Tech program Tools for Life and they are always working on modifying something. I have seen some who have used the traditional back seat rest and then strapped in the smaller pet carrier. I also recently saw a mounting bracket created for a car seat on a wheelchair which possibly could be modified.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Not sure if you already have your Spyder

But there was one recently for sale in the SL 4sale section that was already set-up for a wheel chair and fully handicap ready, not sure but worth a check.

As for your dog, being so small, I'd recommend one of those over the shoulder pouches. We have a buddy with a little Yorki that he wanted to ride with on his Harley & this worked out really well for them

There's many different ways to go about it, but just be as safe as possible and have fun

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default adaptive bike for sale

I did look at that post. I just don't know how comfortable I am purchasing a used spyder with the warranty less than a year left on it. It looks nice but for a couple thousand more I can get a new one with a full warranty. And I am pretty sure I will not be able to buy before this one needs to be sold. Than you for the heads up on the one for sale though, I appreciate it. I will probably be going down to Cowtown to purchase a new one in about October. May even go with a 2013 but not sure yet.

Spyder Garage

Default Theres may be more than just a Spyder, WC holder and Dog basket needed

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCowgirl View Post
    I did look at that post. I just don't know how comfortable I am purchasing a used spyder with the warranty less than a year left on it. It looks nice but for a couple thousand more I can get a new one with a full warranty. And I am pretty sure I will not be able to buy before this one needs to be sold. Than you for the heads up on the one for sale though, I appreciate it. I will probably be going down to Cowtown to purchase a new one in about October. May even go with a 2013 but not sure yet.
    Hi SpyderCowgirl:
    Not really sure what your medical situation is. But if you are a SCI like a lot of the owners in this forum, it's likely that you may need a few modifications other than a wheelchair and dog carrier. As a T-10 I found that I needed to add handlebar risers so I do not lean to far forward, giving me better stability and keep my hand from cramping. I also added a Corbin seat with a backrest for further support. A larger windshield to enjoy long highway rides and not fight the wind. I also have a fancan from ISCI to keep some of the heat off my right leg (that I cannot feel). I wrapped the header pipe too to minimize heat. Along with the handbrake from ISCI too. You may need floorboards or some ways or mean to keep your feet in place and protected to the exhaust on the right side. I also have a parking brake extension to easily apply when I stop the bike. Even though it weighs 700lbs, it rolls on the slightest grade. Some like a loud pipe. I opted for more lights for safety. Unfortunately the Spyder has a lot of reflectors. I changed them all over to Custom Dynamic lights. When I put on my directional or put it in reverse, everyone nearby knows. This is all info IF you are a SCI. If not, there may be others to assist you on the little things. Just a note. I bought a 2011 RS and added well over 4k in extras to enjoy a safe and accessible ride. If you look at my profile you will see pictures of everything I mentioned. I also added a few items for fun and convenience such as a GPS mount, flag holder, shock covers and a 12v plug in the trunk. Best of luck and please feel free to ask me anything.
    Mods:
    Can Am 23" Windshield & Tank Bag. Corbin seat w/gas flap and backrests. Protective covers for shocks.Sena SMH10 headsets. Wrapped header pipe with insulating tape. GPS mount for Garmin Nuvi 680. Various lights from Custom Dynamics. Hand Brake, Floorboards, Brake Pedal & Fancan from ISCI. Parking Brake extension, Floorboard tabs, Wheelchair mount.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default The one for sale is mine

Since your dog is so small you could do the over the shoulder bag and just set it in the chair, secured naturally, The rack that I have is strong enough, I reguarly put suitcases on top of my chair when I need to go to the airport and when it was in the shop my friends picked up the rear end of the Spyder with the rack.

I fully understand that you would rather have the longer warranty it adds a piece of mind that’s for sure. I’m working on selling just the Spyder here locally so if you’re interested in just the Hand brake and wheelchair mounts let me know.

Happy riding

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Modifications

I have a rare neuromuscular disease. I have been in a chair for a year and a half. I will not leave home without my service dog so she has to have a place to sit and be safe. I am not comfortable with her being strapped to me because I might go on longer rides and I want Prue to be comfortable and be able to stretch a little. My Mom has an RT so we might go on some longer rides too. Yes I am sure there are more modifications that I will need... Wheelchair Rack, Handbrake, Handlebar Risers, Heat Deflector, Corbin Seat with Backrests, Place to hook my iPhone for tunes, and a place for my dog to sit even with the chair on. I have a rigid chair that doesn't fold up so it will need to be mounted on the back somewhow. I have seen a few different mounts for the chair just have to decide which one or else get someone to build one for me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CantWalk:) View Post
    Since your dog is so small you could do the over the shoulder bag and just set it in the chair, secured naturally, The rack that I have is strong enough, I reguarly put suitcases on top of my chair when I need to go to the airport and when it was in the shop my friends picked up the rear end of the Spyder with the rack.

I fully understand that you would rather have the longer warranty it adds a piece of mind that’s for sure. I’m working on selling just the Spyder here locally so if you’re interested in just the Hand brake and wheelchair mounts let me know.

Happy riding
    I will let you know. Do you know if you can add a longer warranty to it? Yours is already set up the way I will need it, wish it was closer. I am sure I can figure out something for the dog, that isn't an issue.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCowgirl View Post
    I will let you know. Do you know if you can add a longer warranty to it? Yours is already set up the way I will need it, wish it was closer. I am sure I can figure out something for the dog, that isn't an issue.
    I googled it and from the looks of it it can http://en-us.spyder.brp.com/Files/en...Protection.pdf, its one of the first FAQ's. Like you said I’m a bit far away but Mark is right about the costs to mod the Spyder for your use. Building the rack in house saved some money, only about 250 in parts but then after getting the 1300 hand break and 400 floor boards it starts to add up quick to the cost of the bike. Also I googled how much it would cost to ship the Spder to you, 575 according to Uship
    Last edited by CantWalk:); 08-28-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Spyder Garage

For your dog check out kuryakyn pet palace. We use on our RSS with a wheelchair rack. Works out great for the pup and wheelchair. Hope you are enjoying your spyder
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, TricLED fender lights, TricLed Underglow kit (green), Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake