Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Whew! Avoided Disaster; I Think!

So while the Missus was getting ready to lay down all of that vinyl last weekend, I was prepping everything with a good alcohol bath. While rubbing down the right fender, I noticed that it seemed... loose!
    Naturally I'm thinking "busted bracketry" Everything seemed to be tight, but I din't lay a wrench to it; this was a project for another day..
    That day came today! I jacked the RT up in the air and popped the wheel off so that I had room to my bestest damage...
    Lo and behold... Both of the bolts holding that bracket to the hub were loose! Wrenched them down, and checked the other fender; they also each took up a bit more than I was comfortable seeing.
    Soooo... If you notice your fenders dancing just a bit more than normal; don't wait for something to bust! Dig out the wrenches and make sure that what is supposed to be tight; IS!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

always good to do a pre-ride inspection, I always check my fenders and windscreen arms now after some of the posts.

herry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the information about the fenders.

How come your not out riding today? We are getting ready to do some riding. Were just waiting for the weather to get a little better--its happening as I speak.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh but I was! I had to go pick up some wine for Monday; our 29th anniversary!
    It's really great when you find that special someone that you want to make miserable... FOREVER!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Oh but I was! I had to go pick up some wine for Monday; our 29th anniversary!
    It's really great when you find that special someone that you want to make miserable... FOREVER!!
    good one robert
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Default Disaster

It's really great when you find that special someone that you want to make miserable... FOREVER!! .....You best hope she don't see that or you might not avoid a disaster !

Spyder Garage

Think I'll avoid the marital bliss issue and cut directly to the thread.....(but...HAPPY ANNIVERSARY Robert!)

Would a little blue lock-tite be a good idea on those bracket bolts?
    '09 SM5, Hindle pipe, K&N, sport rack, backrest, Givi shield EVO swaybar, Symtec grip heaters, Spyderpops belt guard....some other stuff.

Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it,
    Be afraid of the one saying 'To Whom it May Concern'!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So while the Missus was getting ready to lay down all of that vinyl last weekend, I was prepping everything with a good alcohol bath. While rubbing down the right fender, I noticed that it seemed... loose!
    Naturally I'm thinking "busted bracketry" Everything seemed to be tight, but I din't lay a wrench to it; this was a project for another day..
    That day came today! I jacked the RT up in the air and popped the wheel off so that I had room to my bestest damage...
    Lo and behold... Both of the bolts holding that bracket to the hub were loose! Wrenched them down, and checked the other fender; they also each took up a bit more than I was comfortable seeing.
    Soooo... If you notice your fenders dancing just a bit more than normal; don't wait for something to bust! Dig out the wrenches and make sure that what is supposed to be tight; IS!
    So what I'm reading here (as a curious future owner) is that I should keep in mind to revert back to my early days of riding Harley to carry tools, and do what I do now - circle checks (pre/post)

Spyder Garage

Bob,
    Do you know that these were indeed tightened properly in the rebuild after the accident?
    I recall the rebuilding dealer muffed up something else in the front end?
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wasn't gonna say that... , but it is a possibility... I might tend to believe that it would have shown up sooner though.
    I am going to lay some Blue Loc-Tite in on them though!
    (Thanks Danny!)