Spyder Garage

Default p1614 not in book?

3000 miles on and started getting the p1614 code called my dealer and he said that code is not in there books but will check buds when I bring in for 3000 mile service , just get it morning after a days riding so far, hope they fix it. he did say they would be doing the filter upgrades yea for that .
    Ram mount on both upper air deflectors custom ram mount for ATC9k action cam
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    Dual Color MagicFLEX® Channelz finder lights
    TIPZ units
    CAN AM SPYDER RT RADIATOR UPPER BLOCK OFF PLATE
    CAN AM SPYDER RT RADIATOR LOWER BLOCK OFF PLATE
    CATALYTIC CONVERTER SHIELD
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Spyder Garage

It means "congratulations, you get a new throttle-body -please see your local dealer ASAP"!
    2011 RT-SE5 - Orbital Blue - Garmin Zumo 660, Shoei Firestrike Helmets, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs, Sena SMH10 Bluetooth, Real Chrome Dash Kit, Butler Mug and Camera Mount, Spyderpops Heat Shield, Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard

Spyder Garage

He's looking in the wrong book. The codes for the RS and the RT are not all the same. This isn't promising. He could even have looked in the service bulletin to find this one. I hope he is capable of properly changing a throttle body.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    He's looking in the wrong book. The codes for the RS and the RT are not all the same. This isn't promising. He could even have looked in the service bulletin to find this one. I hope he is capable of properly changing a throttle body.

My thoughts exactly he has always been good on my other toys hope he is same on the spyder or hope his service department is.
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    TIPZ units
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Spyder Garage

P 1614 has been causing me grief as well, dealership knowledge and ability to do research plays a big role in solving Spyder problems. No I lie it is still causing me grief...dealer actually now talking to BRP tech to sort the problem. Get on to them asap and get it fixed...it will left you stranded at the most inconvenient times and places and if it comes up it is not easy to "reset". Hope you get it sorted.....

Spyder Garage

P-1614 is a bad throttle body...period. No other "fix" will fix it. My Spyder stayed at the shop for 2 months while the tech checked all possibilities (with my agreeing that he keep it until fixed). I rode it with a bad throttle body for about 6 months, learning to make it work. It never left me stranded (about 6,000 miles) riding this way.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mine went from code to dead in about 3days. So dont depend on it. The code is super common my dealer had the parts in stock and was fixed same day. Mind you they rushed as the bike was about a week or so old then .
    Josh
    AKA "Camdenlake"
    Soon to be 2012 Red Goldwing

Spyder Garage

Default finally got to shop

I finally took my bike to the dealer for 3000 service and code p1614 it was easy enough to reset but was getting aggravating, caught a little grief for bringing in with almost 3800 miles but they said problem is fixed, so far it runs and shifts a lot better what ever they did, so keep fingers crossed.On a side note service has run just under $300 for 600 mile and just over $300 for 3000 mile that averages just under $100 a month so I will be doing my own service from now on, that is just not acceptable service expenses in my opinion, and it is around 80 miles one way to the dealer, guess I will start ordering my service kits.
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    TIPZ units
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default P1614

I got the dreaded P1614 code and dealer did two recent updates but would NOT replace the throttle body as long as the code was shown as "Occured" in BUDS and not "Active". About 400 miles later and no more problems. But I'm still for it to "occur" again.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    I got the dreaded P1614 code and dealer did two recent updates but would NOT replace the throttle body as long as the code was shown as "Occured" in BUDS and not "Active". About 400 miles later and no more problems. But I'm still for it to "occur" again.
    I here you, I will have that nagging feeling that it can come back any time, but hopefully not, he said he has only had to replace one so far.
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    TIPZ units
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The fact that this dealer didn't know where to look for a code that is talked (and griped) about by an awful lot of RT jockeys is disturbing...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Oh noes!
    14000 miles and just got my first p1614 today.... About 90 miles from home... :C
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

My 2010 RT is in the shop patiently waiting for the throttle bodies to arrive from Canada.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    Oh noes!
    14000 miles and just got my first p1614 today.... About 90 miles from home... :C
    The first couple of them are rarely a death-blow to your riding season...
    Get to your dealer and have them ull up the codes so that they can document everything and order the parts.
    Once they're in; then just drop the bike off for them to make some magic for you!

Good Luck!

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The first couple of them are rarely a death-blow to your riding season...
    Get to your dealer and have them ull up the codes so that they can document everything and order the parts.
    Once they're in; then just drop the bike off for them to make some magic for you!

Good Luck!
    I know the 1614 is a throttle body. The instant it happened I called my dealer and told them to order a throttle body and said I'd call back if I needed a tow. I'm on vacation out of town this week, so I just dropped it off with them to take care of. Needs a new rear tire and oil change as well. And putting on a rear Elka shock during all this. Good timing I guess since I won't be riding for at least a week anyways. I was mainly concerned that it was going to strand me, since the engine wouldn't stay running till I pulled the key and walked away for a bit.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad to hear that it's not costing you much in the way of riding time!

Spyder Garage

Default more power

Just an update since 3000 mile service, wonder what the software update did to give bike so much more pep low end and mid-range, I am burning rubber like crazy off the line and pulling much stronger through the gears, its like a completely different bike now and no limp mode so far not that I am complaining I like it a lot just curious.
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    TIPZ units
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The fact that this dealer didn't know where to look for a code that is talked (and griped) about by an awful lot of RT jockeys is disturbing...
    i here you but what can I do it would be another 100 miles or so to the next nearest dealer, so I will just have to hope I am lucky enough to not have anymore problems with it and work with him if I do, only other option would be to sell or trade it in and I would take a big loss on that deal.
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    TIPZ units
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Spyder Garage

Still waiting
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    Still waiting
    Hope they get you going again soon I hate when my bike is in the shop.
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    TIPZ units
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Flight Risk's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My bike threw the horrid P1614 code. Thanks to the guys here online, I was sent a service bulletin showing the 4 codes that would dictate a new throttle body. First two times the tech just hooked my bike up to the computer and cleared the codes and supposedly downloaded updates. The third time (always on a weekend right before a large group ride) it happened again and I was fuming when I called on Monday!

I finally got the replacement but am still miffed that they knew what to do all along and still just threw me out to the elements, so to speak.

Good luck with your situation!!
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Drift HD 720 digital video camera w/ remote
    Russell Day-Long Custom Seat and Driver backrest
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka Stage 1 Plus Shocks
    Original Grip Buddies
    Seal Floorboards DLX
    Two Brothers Exhaust
    GloRyders with remote
    Zumo 660 GPS
    2011 RTS SE5