Thread: "Brake Failure"

Spyder Garage

Default "Brake Failure"

I was riding to work this morning on my usual route, when I came to a downhill section of road where the speed limit drops from 45 to 35. I typically just down shift in this section and let the Spyder engine brack to slow down, which is what I did this morning. I happened to look down to check my speed ( as this area is a speed trap) and noticed the brake light indicator was illuminated on the gage cluster, then suddenly, the display flashed an orange warning "Brake Failure". It only lasted a couple of seconds and then disappeared from the display. It didn't do it again, but I was only a mile or so from work so I've not ridden it any great distance since this incident. Just curious to know if anyone else has had this type of experience? I ride a 2010 RTS.

Spyder Garage

I had this happen to me going downhill ... check the fluid in the resevoir ... My fluid was not low enough to see but I added a little and it cured the fault ... ... the spyder is very sensitive to these things ... btw ... the only time I got this brake failure was going downhill while engine braking!!! ... hope this helps!
    If you lost your virginity, do you still have the box it came in?

09 Phantom SM5 LE #108
    My Mods- Corbin Seat, Homemade exhaust, Kury ISO Grips, ISCI passenger floorboards, TRIC LEDS, Evoluzione o2 mod

Spyder Garage

As was said, check the fluid level in the reservoir. Even a tiny bit low causes a warning, especially on change of grade, acceleration, or brake application.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Agreed x 3

Spyder Garage

Agree x 4

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh... Let's make it an even number...
    Agreed X 5!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stutzmason View Post
    I had this happen to me going downhill ... check the fluid in the resevoir ... My fluid was not low enough to see but I added a little and it cured the fault ... ... the spyder is very sensitive to these things ... btw ... the only time I got this brake failure was going downhill while engine braking!!! ... hope this helps!
    Thanks, will do.