Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kentompkins View Post
    How, exactly, would carrying have helped NJERNIE??

Also, coming back east from Utah and leaving my motel at 3AM to ride when it was cool (day temps were 107) I happened to look in the front window of the motel and the night-clerk was asleep on the couch! I submit that we can't depend on anyone or anything but ourselves unless, for this situation, the motel/hotel provides a security area.

I know NJERNIE and know that he took every precaution to protect his bike (who among us doesn't?) but they (there must have been more than one to push the bike out of the trailer) clipped the hasps. These guys were smart, capable and had planned the theft carefully. There is little that any of us can do against such planning -- carrying or not.

ken tompkins

Carrying a gun wouldn't make any difference in this situation. This kind of thing happens all over the place---- not just in Canada. There is no 'conspiracy'... bad people steal things. Period.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    Those that know me know that I do not comment unless I have a good handle on the subject matter so I will give you a brief story of why I feel this way. About 12 years ago I started snowmobiling in Quebec and became friends with an administrator of a snowmobile trail conditions forum and sled theft was so high in the area of which he lived, he and a buddy started looking into the situation to which the police never seemed to care. To make this breif, his buddy was murdered and they burned his motel down and eventually my friend left Quebec in fear of his life. I was told that they had stumbled on to what was going on. (organized crime) To this day I do not believe anyone was charged in the murder. So if you want to call me an idiot, I have broad shoulders and I alway consider the source. You, when you made this post was your 15th post, so perhaps you need to read the sticky at the top of the page and read about the rules here before posting again.
    Is it really a shock that snowmobile theft would be higher at a place where everyone goes to snowmobile?

I bet motorcycle theft is higher in Sturgis too during that week....

Someone had a Spyder stolen down in the Smokies last year... are you going to avoid that area too and blame some North Carolina crime mob?

None of this other stuff (guns, country location, police, mobs, crazy conspiracies,etc.) has squat to do with the original situation.... which was someone simply getting their spyder lifted when they had taken decent precautions to secure it.

This can happen in anytown, anywhere, any country. To pin it on a particular area or country is offensive to those living there.

Carry good insurance and do your best to lock stuff up, park in safe areas, etc.

Spyder Garage

this happens just way too often in quebec, and montreal area in particular!. while staying at a hotel in montreal,(holiday inn) waiting to catch a flight to anticosti island, we had an attempt on stealing my buddies brand new "duelly" and trailer. i say attempt, as we got up at 3:45 am. to pack and head to the airport, only to catch the guy in the act. just happened the hotel didn't have a spot in their secured parking lot, therefor we had to park in their open lot. i swear the desk clerk had something to do with it. over $4000.00 worth of damage had been done. when the cops came, they made nothing of it. when i asked them if they had ever thought of setting up a "sting" as it has happened to us before, they just laughed and said basically, "it is what it is", ce la vie!
    in mont laurier,que. we stayed at the comfort inn and right across the street from the police station. the first night there, a guy from ma. had a five place trailer with a new excursion stolen. you guessed it--- five sleds on the trailer as well. tell me the police weren't lookin the other way? once again, the truck and trailer weren't in the locked secured parking section.
    sorry to hear about this incident, but we now sled in northern me. and ny instead. from now on, i guess i would say, i really don't plan on taking my spyder up to quebec either, unless it's coming back with me the same day. that really !!!!!

Spyder Garage

Had 30 bikes stolen in the last two months in our county. Current scuttlebutt says the cops in 4 counties have been working on this and it appears they have nabbed an orgainized theft ring. So yes, I'm with FireFly on this one, it happens anywhere. By the way, most of these bikes were secured in sheds or garages. Whenever I park the Spyder I make a habit of setting the parking brake. Came out of a store one day and had 5 folks athered around. One guy said he tried to push it to see how heavy it felt. He said he couldn't move it and asked why. I just said it had a security setting. I also lock the handlebars sometimes too.
    Last edited by bruiser; 08-20-2012 at 06:59 PM.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NJERNIE View Post
    I may have lost my Spyder but I still have my 2005 Chevy SSR. My next rally is going to be in October with the SSR to Cape Cod, Mass. Hope you still have your SSR and are enjoying it. I also belong to the SSR Fanatics and have the same name NJERNIE on their website.

NJERNIE
    Unfortunately I don’t have it any longer, Back in Oct 2011 I found out I had Cancer of the RT Kidney and they needed to remove it so I decided to get my wife a new car. So I took the “R” and her 2007 HHR and traded them in on a new 2012 Equinox so there wouldn't any payments with all the bells and whistles. I am also a SSR Fanatics I go by Legend Lime my last trip in the “R” was the Route 66 run in Flagstaff AZ in Sept 2011.
    Last edited by Lava Flow; 08-20-2012 at 07:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Is it really a shock that snowmobile theft would be higher at a place where everyone goes to snowmobile?

I bet motorcycle theft is higher in Sturgis too during that week....

Someone had a Spyder stolen down in the Smokies last year... are you going to avoid that area too and blame some North Carolina crime mob?

None of this other stuff (guns, country location, police, mobs, crazy conspiracies,etc.) has squat to do with the original situation.... which was someone simply getting their spyder lifted when they had taken decent precautions to secure it.

This can happen in anytown, anywhere, any country. To pin it on a particular area or country is offensive to those living there.

Carry good insurance and do your best to lock stuff up, park in safe areas, etc.
    Very well said!!

Some folks are smoking some good stuff around here. If Quebec is such a bad place to go, just don't go and quit bitching about it and invent some late night stories.

Spyder Garage

Gee.. with all these crazy stories from Quebec... it's a wonder any of our Spyders ever made it out of the factory without being stolen......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Gee.. with all these crazy stories from Quebec... it's a wonder any of our Spyders ever made it out of the factory without being stolen......

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default stolen spyder

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybob View Post
    Feel really bad that you have to go thru that mess!! Hope your insurance covers all of the loss. If the trailer was hooked to your tow vehicle you may have coverage from your tow vehicle insurance also. Might be something to look into if needed.

Doesn't matter what country you are in, it still happens and still feels the same - bad.
    Don't bet that your vehicle ins. will cover the loss. In PA if you don't have ins. on trailer and contents, your ins. will not pay for any loss.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A bit of clarification is needed with your statement; Which insurance, and for what? A motor vehicle will be covered for loss by theft IF the insured has purchased that coverage for that particular vehicle. A trailer will be covered for loss by theft if the insured has purchased that coverage for that trailer. Contents within a trailer MIGHT be covered if they are merely "personal property"; coverage would exist in the insured's Homeowners policy.
    And of course, I have now confused myself too!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One more small clarification...
    Had njernie been foolish enough to take a firearm into Canada (Let's pretend it was a handgun...), His spyder still would probably STILL have been stoeln; only it would have been taken from a Police Impound yard while he was in custody over the illegal weapon...

Don't take handguns into Canada... bad things will happen!

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A friend of mine had a wheel lock similar in appearance to the Denver Boot while at Durango. There are several devices on the net to prevent your bike or trailer extremely hard to move at a reasonable price. Unfortunately, the Spyder can't carry everything on our adventures. It would be amusing however to see such a device clamped around the rear grips or elsewhere.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

There is a reason they call it organized crime. Quebec and Montreal have well entrenched groups who are professionals. The hotels are paid off. That must be obvious because security cameras would see these things happen and so would staff.
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Default SAY WHAT!

First off frenchy as i see you are new here we do not call each other names on this forum and you should apologize. Please do not be offended you probably just did not know. Now back to the subject and what i know. I am an avid fan of northeast dirt track racing and on occasion the teams race in canada and have had there equipment stolen i'am talking about tractor trailers highly painted with there sponsors name on the side with 2 race cars, tools, radios, taken from hotel lot. This has happened on more than 1 occasion. Now does this happen in the northeast of the US maybe but just have not heard about it.

Roger

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Roger,
    Good to hear from you!
    We're hoping that he'll settle down once he gets a better feel for the place...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    One more small clarification...
    Had njernie been foolish enough to take a firearm into Canada (Let's pretend it was a handgun...), His spyder still would probably STILL have been stoeln; only it would have been taken from a Police Impound yard while he was in custody over the illegal weapon...

Don't take handguns into Canada... bad things will happen!

Excellent point! I was waiting for someone to make it.

I spend 75% of my time on the road for work and travel pretty much throughout the world. I have been to Canada (Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, etc) on plenty of occasions and I can tell you that we had rooms broken into at the hotels, we had pockets picked and we had our car broken into and all of that was in Montreal. Don't take this wrong, I love the city and still plan to go back on many of occasions, however - FACTS ARE WHAT THEY ARE!

2012 RS SE - White. Sport rack with Backrest, ISCI Armrests, Two Brothers Exhaust

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Roger,
    Good to hear from you!
    We're hoping that he'll settle down once he gets a better feel for the place...
    Yes i have not been on in awhile so i just thought i would check in and catch up on things happening and say hello to some old friends.

Roger

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NJERNIE View Post
    Went up to Joliette, Quebec, Canada for the Spyder Mania weekend. Arrived on Thursday and spent some time riding around locating the event site. Around 6 p.m. I put my RT Limited back into the enclosed trailer and locked it up for the night. Trailer was parked almost directly in front of the door to the hotel lobby. Was completely shocked the next morning when I went to get the bike and noticed the trailer was not locked. The brackets holding the padlocks had been broken and my spyder was gone! Along with the bike they took my can-am leather jacket, my can-am first edition jacket (including the hangers), two rain suits, two helmets, two western hats, an ipod and a motorcycle cover. Don't know yet what the outcome will be, the Canadian police of course don't know if they will ever find it. Now it's a game of wait and see what the insurance company will cover and how long a wait it will be. Not a good trip at all and probably will never go back to Canada.

As a Canadian who has ridden motorcycles extensively throughout Canada and 40+ States. please don't judge all of Canada by any experience you had in Quebec...I'm not going to bash Quebec but there's a reason why they have been going through decades of wanting to separate from Canada.

Anything in a 200 miles radius of Quebec City or Montreal requires double padlocks and anything and everything you can think of to make it's as difficult as possible for anyone wanting to ruin your day....they are absolutely brazen....on a motorcycle ride a few years ago they actually caught a few punks trying to swipe gloves and helmets off bikes - directly in front of the patio where the owners were sitting....

Sorry about your poor Canadian experience, give Ontario a try - we are much nicer people and our primary language is ENGLISH!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Could this option have made the difference??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CDNSpyder View Post
    As a Canadian who has ridden motorcycles extensively throughout Canada and 40+ States. please don't judge all of Canada by any experience you had in Quebec...I'm not going to bash Quebec but there's a reason why they have been going through decades of wanting to separate from Canada.

Anything in a 200 miles radius of Quebec City or Montreal requires double padlocks and anything and everything you can think of to make it's as difficult as possible for anyone wanting to ruin your day....they are absolutely brazen....on a motorcycle ride a few years ago they actually caught a few punks trying to swipe gloves and helmets off bikes - directly in front of the patio where the owners were sitting....

Sorry about your poor Canadian experience, give Ontario a try - we are much nicer people and our primary language is ENGLISH!
    You know nothing about it!!
    Don't go pretending the GTA is a haven of innocence.
    You are more likely to get shot there than you are robbed in QC.

Spyder Garage

This is a ridiculous post!!! I will say no more,answering ignorance is not what a beautiful Sunday afternoon is for...cheers to all of our members in Quebec!

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i thought that we were touchy down here...
    Let's break out the bikes and hit the roads; we need some spinnin' and grinnin' in here!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eraser View Post
    This is a ridiculous post!!! I will say no more,answering ignorance is not what a beautiful Sunday afternoon is for...cheers to all of our members in Quebec!
    Have to agree here. There are bad areas (or should I say bad people!) in every province or state, to say it is more prevalent in one place is ludicrous! And I am not just saying that because I am a Quebecer.
    I personally love all areas (and people) in both Canada and the United States and would not hesitate to visit anywhere, just be aware of your surroundings and be vigilant. That is all you can do.
    Last edited by Netminder; 08-26-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Really???????? I mean really??????????????????????

This is a prime example of why people from each of these 2 provinces can't stand each other!!!!!

As someone else said, THIS IS A RIDICULOUS POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Really???????? I mean really??????????????????????

This is a prime example of why people from each of these 2 provinces can't stand each other!!!!!

As someone else said, THIS IS A RIDICULOUS POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Funny I never knew that people from these 2 provinces can't stand each other! I guess I'll have to inform all my friends from Ontario!!! This is almost as ridicdulous as the previous post! Also we are far off topic and I fear it is bordering on being political, so I think I will bow out. To the original poster, so sorry this happened, but hope you will return to our wonderful province!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze