Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NJERNIE View Post
    Went up to Joliette, Quebec, Canada for the Spyder Mania weekend. Arrived on Thursday and spent some time riding around locating the event site. Around 6 p.m. I put my RT Limited back into the enclosed trailer and locked it up for the night. Trailer was parked almost directly in front of the door to the hotel lobby. Was completely shocked the next morning when I went to get the bike and noticed the trailer was not locked. The brackets holding the padlocks had been broken and my spyder was gone! Along with the bike they took my can-am leather jacket, my can-am first edition jacket (including the hangers), two rain suits, two helmets, two western hats, an ipod and a motorcycle cover. Don't know yet what the outcome will be, the Canadian police of course don't know if they will ever find it. Now it's a game of wait and see what the insurance company will cover and how long a wait it will be. Not a good trip at all and probably will never go back to Canada.

Really sorry to hear about this and I to am embarrassed that this happened in my province! We were just there, staying at the Chateau Jolliette on Friday nite and they had a security guard there, as they said a motorcycle was stolen there the night before, would this be yours?? We were all pretty worried as there was a bar there and we did not like the fact that it would be closing at 3am when we were all in bed! Luckily all was well this morning. I really hope it all works out with your insurance and I am truly sorry and pissed that someone from my home province would do such a thing!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default lojack

but if you have full coverage will a lojack reduce your premiums?
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

This is horrible! I am so sorry this happened to you. I can't imagine what you must be feeling, not to mention all the insurance hassle you will probably have to go through.

What is an IPS?

Spyder Garage

We had 2 sleds stolen in Quebec 5 years ago, Insurence covered them, but a real bad trip. We still go, but stay only in secure parking areas. Most people in Quebec are the nicest people in the world, but tourists seem to be a big target.

Spyder Garage

Default IPS

IPS = In Plain Sight .... you put your spyder key in it. Lamont sells them.... I believe it is on the Home page.

NJERNIE sorry to hear about your spyder. I've seen it and it was a nice looking bike. Hope insurance gets you on

a new one ASAP!
    Last edited by xraypat; 08-18-2012 at 08:09 PM.
    Very Happy Owner!

Spyder Garage

I feel your pain. I would be livid! But the truth is, if you want to avoid this happening again, don't go anywhere. This is not isolated to Canada. There are a lot of great, law abiding citizens in that country that are no more happy about your experience than you are.

My brother used to do a lot of jet skying and he had highly modified, big dolllar skis. He was all geared up with an enclosed double ski trailer and all the stuff. He stayed in a nice hotel in Florida and the next morning everything was gone. Trailer and all. He had the hitch locked (both pin and ball) as well as locked safety chains and it had been attached to his truck. (they didn't take his truck!)

2 jet skis (one his, one his buddies).

I've got more stories but this one will do.

As sad as it is, the reality is that you just happened to be in the great country of Canada when these low lifes found you. It is a black eye on Canada but no one would visit your town either if these same types (who are everywhere) found them out.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your loss. Like others have said, hope your insurance co come s thru for you. Dale

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Would almost be worth setting up some bait vehicles, wouldn't it?
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    Makes me wonder how many of the criminals involved are employed by the hotels. Makes so they can always know where to get the best pickings.
    It makes me more than wonder.In plain sight of the night clerk outside in a locked trailer.Just the noise of breaking in should alert the clerk.
    I have done thousands of miles of road trips on my Goldwing(none yet on my Spyder).Always staying in hotels/motels.This includes one week in Canada BC and Alberta last June.With very rare exceptions I always park under the overhang outside the lobby with a top cover on the bike and thankfully have never had a problem.
    You hopefully have good insurance so you should get adequately paid out

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That would surely be where I'd start asking questions too!
    The only way to make sure that your stuff will be there... is to just never leave it!
    I've slept in my truck more than once!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I've slept in my truck more than once!
    Was that because you wanted to keep an eye on your stuff or because the "Missus" suggested that would be a good spot for ya?
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Default Canadian Spyder Gone

Quote Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post
    Perhaps our criminals are a little more crafty and brazen because we (Canadians) for the most part lack a "property owner equalizer" that is readily available in the US? Its called a gun...........
    That may be the answer but the other side of the coin is just as bad. When I was down in Missouri(two months ago) a sheriff deputy asked me if I was "carrying". I said NO and he said "The next time you come to this County you'd better have one." I am going for my CCW permit next week.
    Which is better?

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 800steve View Post
    We had 2 sleds stolen in Quebec 5 years ago, Insurence covered them, but a real bad trip. We still go, but stay only in secure parking areas. Most people in Quebec are the nicest people in the world, but tourists seem to be a big target.
    About 5 years ago a group of us (5) were touring the Gaspe loop on snowmobiles out of River De Loop in a secure lot and on our last night after we had loaded up the sleds and turned in for the night, they tried to get our complete setup. (truck, trailer and sleds) We had know for years about Quebec's problem with theft of motorcycles and sleds so we had taken steps prior to leaving on our 6 day loop of Gaspe so they did not end up getting anything, but they tried and caused about $3500 in damage, but we were able to get it all home.

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    Would almost be worth setting up some bait vehicles, wouldn't it?
    I have said this for years, but I'm convinced the government in Quebec is involved. If this was as widespread here in the states, there would definitely be a sting operation. Never been back to Quebec since however we may go back this year.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

if this happens, as you say "ALL TOO OFTEN"... then maybe it's time your Canadians DEMAND your right to carry firearms... AND, get judges that will back you up..... i hate like hell that this happened also, but in most of the lower 48, you have the Right to protect your property from theft..........

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    I'm really ashamed of my fellow Quebecers. It sucks bigtime for you.

All too common in Quebec though. The thieves target out of province & US vehicles all the time when they are parked overnight.

Seems like a perfectly legit insurance claim. Hope it's dealt with speedily.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    I have said this for years, but I'm convinced the government in Quebec is involved. If this was as widespread here in the states, there would definitely be a sting operation. Never been back to Quebec since however we may go back this year.
    Get real!!

Spyder Garage

How, exactly, would carrying have helped NJERNIE??

Also, coming back east from Utah and leaving my motel at 3AM to ride when it was cool (day temps were 107) I happened to look in the front window of the motel and the night-clerk was asleep on the couch! I submit that we can't depend on anyone or anything but ourselves unless, for this situation, the motel/hotel provides a security area.

I know NJERNIE and know that he took every precaution to protect his bike (who among us doesn't?) but they (there must have been more than one to push the bike out of the trailer) clipped the hasps. These guys were smart, capable and had planned the theft carefully. There is little that any of us can do against such planning -- carrying or not.

ken tompkins
    Last edited by kentompkins; 08-19-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    Get real!!
    I am very real, your Government needs to crack down on this, since there not, they are part of the problem. Only seems to be in Quebec and they deny there is a problem.
    Last edited by rnet; 08-19-2012 at 09:43 AM.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Uh-oh...

Spyder Garage

Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post

What an idiot!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    What an idiot!!!
    I dont know if the govt is involved, but I can tell you
    first hand that they dont put much effort in finding my stuff when it got stolen. Police said contact Ins, co asap, these things never get found. Best have good ins. if you travel.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THAT JUST SUCKS !!!!!!!!

That just sucks......
    that is why I always carry full coverage ins.
    Dave

Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Having just recently experienced an attempted theft of one of our Spyders I can relate to how it feel. By luck of fate I was able to save ours and not have to use the kind of force I was prepared to use. Some locals were not so lucky that night as their four wheelers and two wheelers were stolen in the same manner that was tried with ours (draging across the property to an awaiting get away vehicle).

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yfactor View Post
    I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Having just recently experienced an attempted theft of one of our Spyders I can relate to how it feel. By luck of fate I was able to save ours and not have to use the kind of force I was prepared to use. Some locals were not so lucky that night as their four wheelers and two wheelers were stolen in the same manner that was tried with ours (draging across the property to an awaiting get away vehicle).
    And this was not in Quebec or any province in Canada! It can happen anywhere, any time.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post
    Was that because you wanted to keep an eye on your stuff or because the "Missus" suggested that would be a good spot for ya?
    Awwww... You caught me!