Thread: GPS devices

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default GPS devices

I have a fairly new Garmin which I use in my car when needed. But I also have a (much preferred) 2012 red RT and was wondering if there is some sort of mod available to clip it onto bike? I assume that the GPS unit is not waterproof, so would need to account for that too. Also- are you all just running the GPS off battery or have you installed an electrical hookup (if so, what). I could technically use one of the 2 aux ports in the trunk and just use my line, but it would be awkward. Anyone out there with reasonable solutions? Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Do a search

This topic has been discussed a lot. Just do a search on the topic and should get lots of ideas. There are holders specific for almost every model of GPS available. There are lots of vendors online to get all the bits, pieces and power cables to create the solution that works for you. I have used gpscity and was pleased with the service.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

RAM mounts are the easiest way to go for most of us. GPSCity.com has a good selection, and brackets for many GPS units. As far as waterproofing, that is tougher. You might find a Pelican case to fit. Some just use a ziploc bag. For power, you will need some kind of USB converter cable, eithe plug-in or directly connected to the battery. I installed Powerlet (BMW-type) outlets on the dash and use a Powerlet USB charger cable with a Garmin adapter. You could use the garmin cable, but it will have to be plugged into the trunk outlet unless you add an additional outlet.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    RAM mounts are the easiest way to go for most of us. GPSCity.com has a good selection, and brackets for many GPS units. As far as waterproofing, that is tougher. You might find a Pelican case to fit. Some just use a ziploc bag. For power, you will need some kind of USB converter cable, eithe plug-in or directly connected to the battery. I installed Powerlet (BMW-type) outlets on the dash and use a Powerlet USB charger cable with a Garmin adapter. You could use the garmin cable, but it will have to be plugged into the trunk outlet unless you add an additional outlet.

^^^^^...There's your answer...I had the BRP GPS mount and it blew apart on me while riding down the road...Replaced it at a total cost of $34.95 versus the $154 or whatever it was from BRP.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by muonwhiz View Post
    I have a fairly new Garmin which I use in my car when needed. But I also have a (much preferred) 2012 red RT and was wondering if there is some sort of mod available to clip it onto bike? I assume that the GPS unit is not waterproof, so would need to account for that too. Also- are you all just running the GPS off battery or have you installed an electrical hookup (if so, what). I could technically use one of the 2 aux ports in the trunk and just use my line, but it would be awkward. Anyone out there with reasonable solutions? Thanks
    -For the power supply I went to radio shack. They have the gps adaptor that will fit into the power supply in the trunk and than ran it under the seat and "glovebox" They have about 6 connectors for various gps units in the package including the usb connector. It was $24.95 Make sure you use heat shrink tubing or something appropiate to keep the connector hooked to the wire or you might be like me losing the adaptor and since I had thrown the rest of the adaptors away I had to buy a new package.