Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyders on the Dragon Kick off event...

Ok, In another thread, I checked interest in a group meeting somewhere in the Deals Gap area for some riding. Since there has been some interest in this, but with the short notice, I decided to do it like this for the first year...

Dates are Thursday, November 1 - Sunday, November 4 Don't feel obligated to do all 3 nights, I know this is short notice this year.

There are rooms available in RobbinsVille, at the Microtel Inn - I called, and they have plenty of available rooms at this moment.
    Rates are from 64.95 / night to 84.95 / night for the suite. I did look online, and it appears that it is a bit cheaper to book online.
    Microtel Inn
    • Phone: 1-828-479-6772

My plan is to use this as our initial "kick off", then we can start planning for next year, and maybe start reserving either cabins, or Bed and Breakfasts.

Confirmed going.
    David and Lisa MacArthur
    Mark and Kathy Heckler
    Last edited by shelbydave; 08-20-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    Ok, In another thread, I checked interest in a group meeting somewhere in the Deals Gap area for some riding. Since there has been some interest in this, but with the short notice, I decided to do it like this for the first year...

Dates are Thursday, November 1 - Sunday, November 4 Don't feel obligated to do all 3 nights, I know this is short notice this year.

There are rooms available in RobbinsVille, at the Microtel Inn - I called, and they have plenty of available rooms at this moment.
    Rates are from 64.95 / night to 84.95 / night for the suite. I did look online, and it appears that it is a bit cheaper to book online.
    Microtel Inn

My plan is to use this as our initial "kick off", then we can start planning for next year, and maybe start reserving either cabins, or Bed and Breakfasts.

Love It .... checking my calendar now !!!

Spyder Bytes: Kury ISO Grips, GL1500 Windshield Vent w/ accent, Heel-Toe Shifter(inspectorgadget), HMT Brake Light, 12v outlet in frunk, GPS-Phone mount w/ case(techmounts.com), seat seal, Right Side Grill Covers(customdynamics.com), Fan Can10(ISCIrides.com), CAT Shields(SpyderPops.com), Elka Shocks, PressurePro TPMS, Cobra CB....and of course Cup Holders(mycupholders.com)

Registered Users TeddyBearHohma's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Dragon's Tail

Guys from my unit are planing a trip up there in October. This would be a mixed group of 2 Wheeled and me. (I'm the only Trike rider in my unit.) I wouldn't mind hitting it a second time with a group of just Spyder Riders. I'll have to come up Friday night as I work Mon-Fri (Unless there is a long weekend).

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I plan on doing the Tail in conjunction with my trip to Lamonts BBQ seeing that it's not far from Greenville...Kill 2 birds with one stone....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebadwolf View Post
    I plan on doing the Tail in conjunction with my trip to Lamonts BBQ seeing that it's not far from Greenville...Kill 2 birds with one stone....
    This isn't necessarily just for the Tail... Personally, I don't care for the Dragon, but I could spend a lifetime on the Cherohala Skyway. People who want to ride the dragon can go in one group, others can go in another group.

I would recommend that anybody who has NOT run the Tail, to do it at least once.... We did. in my SRT, and the wife will not go again.
    Other things to see in the area...
    Cherohala Skywayord
    Route 28 - Moonshiner
    The Road to nowhere in Bryson city. It ends at the tunnel where part of the movie "The Fugitive" was shot (Harrison Ford ran out of it)
    Bridal Veil Falls - Apparently you can drive UNDER the falls - or behind... probably a good photo op.
    At the end of the Cherohala, there are some nice falls also Another nice photo op.

DSCN6908.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Interested

I am interested in going. Going to have to work some things out before I can commit. Does anyone have any picture of the area?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dschnepp View Post
    I am interested in going. Going to have to work some things out before I can commit. Does anyone have any picture of the area?
    Here's a few....BridalFalls-2011best.jpg PA065168.jpg 2011-10-08_13-13-54_304.jpg RTat-the-Gap.jpg
    Last edited by cjackg; 08-20-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

we could probably do that one for Saturday only though.

it'd be good to see CJackG again. haven't gotten off my
    butt and stayed in touch with him, but this'd be a good
    place to meet up again.

Spyder Garage

Default Vacation

My wife and I are going to be in that area. We are riding in from Southeast Texas and should be there Monday the Oct. 29. We want to do all the rides in that beautiful area and would love to ride with a group of spyders. Where will we meet up? What do you think the weather will be like at that time?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Wes View Post
    My wife and I are going to be in that area. We are riding in from Southeast Texas and should be there Monday the Oct. 29. We want to do all the rides in that beautiful area and would love to ride with a group of spyders. Where will we meet up? What do you think the weather will be like at that time?
    It would be good to have you with us! Our homebase will be the Microtel Inn in RobbinsVille, NC this year. I'll be getting there at about check-in time on November 1 (3:00PM) If you already have plans / reservations for the area, let me know the details, and we can take a look on the maps to see where the best place would be to meet.

As far as the weather, It's usually fairly nice. Last year at the same time, it was chilly in the evenings - sweatshirt weather, but by 10:00 AM I was in shorts. We did the trip in a car (hung out with the Porsche guys), so on bikes, probably Jeans, and a light jacket will be OK. The Porsche guys have been doing this for 5 years, and only had snow twice. Both times the snow was gone and roads were dry by 10:00AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BTW - I wasn't sure about the Microtel Inn, but Duke and Heather were over Saturday night, and he told me that the manager there is a great guy, loves bikes, and sports cars, They often give a 10% discount to that group. They offer free towels to use to wipe down the bikes / cars in the AM. He said the main negative about Robbinsville is there aren't alot of places to eat.

Microtel offers a continental Breakfast, We'll be on the road for lunch, so Dinner is the only time we may have to explore!

I'd like to get a feel for how many we'll have, so if you are going, and have made arrangements, please either message me, or post it up here.

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

have you considered some of the many Motorcycle Campgrounds in the area (to be more specific...cabins)

Spyder Bytes: Kury ISO Grips, GL1500 Windshield Vent w/ accent, Heel-Toe Shifter(inspectorgadget), HMT Brake Light, 12v outlet in frunk, GPS-Phone mount w/ case(techmounts.com), seat seal, Right Side Grill Covers(customdynamics.com), Fan Can10(ISCIrides.com), CAT Shields(SpyderPops.com), Elka Shocks, PressurePro TPMS, Cobra CB....and of course Cup Holders(mycupholders.com)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2Gunns View Post
    have you considered some of the many Motorcycle Campgrounds in the area (to be more specific...cabins)
    Actually, yes. but since this was late in the season, and I couldn't get a feel for a number of people willing to commit, I decided that the Microtel was best option this year. If this is a success, and we want to do it annually, then we can plan further ahead, find some cabins, and go from there. I really didn't want to reserve a block of rooms or cabins without more interest expressed.

If this year goes well, we can look at options for next year, if not, then I'll hang out with the Porsche guys next year... Either with the Spyder, or the SC.

Spyder Garage

Actually, yes. but since this was late in the season, and I couldn't get a feel for a number of people willing to commit, I decided that the Microtel was best option this year. If this is a success, and we want to do it annually, then we can plan further ahead, find some cabins, and go from there. I really didn't want to reserve a block of rooms or cabins without more interest expressed.

If this year goes well, we can look at options for next year, if not, then I'll hang out with the Porsche guys next year... Either with the Spyder, or the SC.
    I understand totally. I sure hope it works out, it's a great idea. In fact, if successful, maybe could do a simular Spring event in a coastal area.

Spyder Garage

Default Dragon & Lamonts

This isn't necessarily just for the Tail... Personally, I don't care for the Dragon, but I could spend a lifetime on the Cherohala Skyway. People who want to ride the dragon can go in one group, others can go in another group.

I would recommend that anybody who has NOT run the Tail, to do it at least once.... We did. in my SRT, and the wife will not go again.
    Other things to see in the area...
    Cherohala Skywayord
    Route 28 - Moonshiner
    The Road to nowhere in Bryson city. It ends at the tunnel where part of the movie "The Fugitive" was shot (Harrison Ford ran out of it)
    Bridal Veil Falls - Apparently you can drive UNDER the falls - or behind... probably a good photo op.
    At the end of the Cherohala, there are some nice falls also Another nice photo op.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlebadwolf View Post
    I plan on doing the Tail in conjunction with my trip to Lamonts BBQ seeing that it's not far from Greenville...Kill 2 birds with one stone...
    My wife is dying (maybe a bad choice of words there) to ride the Dragon on her RT. Me, not so much. We are going to be at Lamont's Thurs-Sat, leaving early Sunday. I would prefer if she rode it while accompanied by others, given the death toll of the stretch and her conviction of her own indestructibility. If others are going to be at Lamont's the weekend of Sept 6th and riding it that would work out great. I would like to check out the Cherohala Skyway myself.
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2020 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Depending on the weather my wife and I will be there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pickelhead View Post
    Depending on the weather my wife and I will be there.
    Either Friday or Saturday We'll be ryding right through your town... I'd like to go over to Bridal Veil Falls at some point.

Spyder Garage

Either Friday or Saturday We'll be ryding right through your town... I'd like to go over to Bridal Veil Falls at some point.
    Been there many times. On the way there is a fantastic falls called Dry falls. You can't drive behind them but you can walk behind them. When the water level is at its fullest you cannot here yourself shout. Both of these falls are just off NC 28 (locally known as the Highlands RD as it leads to the Highlands, NC).

Spyder Garage

Default Spyders on the Dragon

Microtel Inn

Confirmed going.
    David and Lisa MacArthur
    Mark and Kathy Heckler
    Is this still on for first weekend in Nov?
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2020 RTL , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WingmanRT View Post
    Is this still on for first weekend in Nov?
    Sure is! I and another couple have already made our reservations.

Last year it was still nice up there at the same time.

Spyder Garage

Due to work stuff, we are making a tenative plan for 3-4 November. Thursday and Friday are pretty much out of the question for us. We were just up in Hendersonville and the Parkway this weekend past and the color is just starting to come out, especially at the higher elevations,like near Little Switzerland. We have stayed at the Robbinsville Microtel and were most pleased, probably will stay there again. Oh, I didn't notice, but the Dragon store at Deals Gap wil be open will it not? I know Killboy shuts down sometime in late fall early winter as well. Well, the Gerbings are ready as well as the Frogg Toggs so come what may, to slay the Dragon once again. Oh, and another trip to the Skyway bring on the falls, this fall.

Sincerely, Patrick and Sandi Lewis
    Last edited by Pandy; 10-08-2012 at 01:06 AM. Reason: spelling
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

Deal's Gap: Grill & Motel last day Oct. 31, November Store Hours: Sun-Sat 9am-5pm

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Bad news for us. We can't make it.

Our entire household has been sick all weekend long, and after a Dr visit, no ryding for a few days.

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry to hear you guys are sick

I hope it is nothing serious. You guys have enough on your plate. It's unfortunate you can't make your own ride. Janet and I could"t make it with her work schedule. Maybe we will see you sunday?

Spyder Garage

Default Snow on the Cherohala....

Anyone riding in the NC mtns this weekend may be in for a surprise... Last night they showed 5" of snow on the Cherohala and it was still coming down!