Spyder Garage

Default Driver Backrest position question - RS with Corbin Seat

I picked up my Corbin saddle with rider and passenger backrests this weekend. Great deal from nice folks on Craigslist.

How do you position the backrest for the driver? At first, I positioned it so it make contact with my back while riding in normal forward position. Irritated the heck out of me and I couldn't sit up to stretch without it jabbing me in the back. So I'm thinking it is better set to rest against when I do sit up.

I've got the standard oval backrest if that helps. I'm not expecting the comfort that you get from the RT backrest and riding position, just looking for what works best on the RS.

Thanks for your help! Sue

Spyder Garage

I have the same seat/backrest. On long trips, I have to bungie a squishy pillow between me and backrest. The rest of the time, it's a little worthless.

Spyder Garage

I had one on the RS and had it set so that I could lean back into it. I did have 3" risers on the handlebars so that I was sitting in a more upright position. Back problems for me, so I need good support from time to time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I had one on the RS and had it set so that I could lean back into it. I did have 3" risers on the handlebars so that I was sitting in a more upright position. Back problems for me, so I need good support from time to time.
    I'm thinking handlebar risers will help. I got some with the Spyder (bought from private party) but they had never installed them. Not sure how tall they are... We'll see.

I might have to use the bungee and pillow method for my ride to Jackson Hole at the end of the month!

Spyder Garage

RE: Risers. If the risers are not at least 3" I would not mess with them. I tried the 1 1/2' that were originally available and they did not help much. There are now 4" risers available, and I would recommend them if you don't want that "lean forward" position. My back just would not take it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    RE: Risers. If the risers are not at least 3" I would not mess with them. I tried the 1 1/2' that were originally available and they did not help much. There are now 4" risers available, and I would recommend them if you don't want that "lean forward" position. My back just would not take it.
    Thank-you akspyderman - I was goign to put them on just to see, but I'm fairly certain they are the 1 1/2" inc as you said. My back is not a problem, knees and hips more so. I'm just looking to find different riding postions for longer rides. I don't mind the forward position, just need to change it up a bit.