Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michael211_2000 View Post
    I live just north-east of New Caney also, out in the Plum Grove neighborhood. Kinda not liking it here the neighborhood is going downhill pretty fast I need to move...

Hi Michael..We actually live in Roman Forrest. We moved here from Atascocita. It was the best move we could have ever made. We love it here.

Our only contact with Keith was for the motorcycle safety class. My mentioning Keith was not necessarily an endorsement for him or Mancuso South, even though my wife did purchase our Spyder new from them, on her own. It was a surprise anniversary gift. Our salesperson was an older gentleman by the name of Todd. My wife said he was very helpful.

Trying to get a test drive on a Spyder is next to impossible, unless you already have a motorcycle licence, from what we have found out. But, I am not sure how they could stop you from taking the class whether you own a Spyder or not. The safety class is definitely an option and is probably much less expensive than renting a Spyder (if you can find a place to do that).

BTW.....My wife went to Mancuso North (I-45 north) and they ignored her while she was looking at a Spyder, so she moved on to Mancuso South where they greeted her within the first two minutes she entered the dealership. One dealers loss was another's gain .

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks... still no luck though. Have not so much as sat on a Spyder to date. (sigh!)
    Not sure why you have not been able to sit on one. Every Spyder dealership that I have ever went to, had no problem letting me sit on one in their showroom.

Spyder Garage

Ok, I've sat on one now.... it's in my driveway!

I got home with it late last night (trailered it from Baton Rouge behind my truck). I-10 has some really awefull stretches over there I swear I thought my dash was going to fall to pieces I was being shaken so hard by that roadway for so long! Going over the tall bridge at Lake Charles was pretty neat, and crossing the "basin" was interesting... but I do not EVER want to do that again! LOL! It took a Spyder to finally get me out of Texas for a day.

I'm now the proud owner of a solid black 2012 Spyder RS SE5 with under 800 miles (21 hours) on it. I was in a rush to begin the return drive yesterday, so I didn't try to drive it myself before loading it on the trailer but I watched the seller drive it and the engine sounded fine and the thing is practically new so... we broke part of the lower belt guard off getting it up on my trailer, but it should be a cheap easy item to replace. Otherwise not a scratch on it.

I'm looking forward to riding it around (inside my neighborhood only, intially) shortly. I live outside of Splendora, if you ever wanna meet shoot me a PM I can use all the help I can get I've never driven a motorcycle of any flavor before (though I have driven and owned everything from a supercharged SeaDoo PWC to a Peterbilt 379 18-wheeler, so I'm well versed in machines).

ps. While it's still on the trailer strapped down I'm about to run to Cleveland and see if I can get the inspection done on the trailer so I can get temporary tags for the Spyder while I wait for the title to come in (2-3 weeks, there was a loan on it which I paid off yesterday when I bought it so all I have is the bill of sale right now).

- Michael

Quote Originally Posted by 54spyder View Post
    Not sure why you have not been able to sit on one. Every Spyder dealership that I have ever went to, had no problem letting me sit on one in their showroom.

Spyder Garage

Default Test drive!

Ok HELP! I've been bitten, and it's awesome!

Well I only took it thru my neighborhood streets this evening before sunset, very little traffic 35 mph speed limit but plenty of S-curves... rides great, very stable very smooth. The brakes squeal a little when applied (I think I've read that that's common with the OEM pads), I looked at the calipers and there seems to be very little pad left are they supposed to be really thin? It has 880 miles on it (I may have mistyped earlier), surely the pads should last longer.... or maybe the previous owner (and his son) were inadvertantly driving it with their right foot on the brake pedal the whole time? IDK.

Anyhows, it's great can't wait to take it to lunch tomorrow.

- Michael

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ok HELP! I've been bitten, and it's awesome!

Well I only took it thru my neighborhood streets this evening before sunset, very little traffic 35 mph speed limit but plenty of S-curves... rides great, very stable very smooth. The brakes squeal a little when applied (I think I've read that that's common with the OEM pads), I looked at the calipers and there seems to be very little pad left are they supposed to be really thin? It has 880 miles on it (I may have mistyped earlier), surely the pads should last longer.... or maybe the previous owner (and his son) were inadvertantly driving it with their right foot on the brake pedal the whole time? IDK.

Anyhows, it's great can't wait to take it to lunch tomorrow.

- Michael
    Congratulations on the new addition . I am no expert on the brakes but from what I have read on SpyderLovers, they are very thin to begin with. If I remember correctly, someone said they are about as thick as a dime when they are brand new. Yours are probably OK.

We drove ours around the streets of Roman Forrest for the first few days and then worked our way to short trips on FM 1485 and 242. With over a 1000 miles under our belts now, There are not too many highways around Houston that we have not been on.

I highly recommend the 3 wheel motorcycle class that Mancusso puts on down in Lamarque at the Greyhound racetrack. They have three 's they use or you can bring your own .

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I'll call them and find out when their next class is scheduled and if they have openings left. I want to do the safety course, obviously I have no desire to get myself hurt on this thing... for the next week or two though I'll be keeping to the backroads where there's little to no traffic and I can practise a little. I still keep opening the seat when I mean to open the frunk for instance... lol!

Is there any way to skip having to press the M button to acknowledge that start up message to read the safety card? I read the darned card already, it isn't that impressive.

And is there any danger of catching the machine on fire when filling up still, or did Can-Am address that issue in the later models? I remember reading a post somewhere about someone who "topped-off" the tank and the Spyder burst into flames just a few minutes after leaving the gas station... :-(

- Michael

Spyder Garage

Default congrats

Congrats! Welcome to Spyderhood!
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, I'll call them and find out when their next class is scheduled and if they have openings left. I want to do the safety course, obviously I have no desire to get myself hurt on this thing... for the next week or two though I'll be keeping to the backroads where there's little to no traffic and I can practise a little. I still keep opening the seat when I mean to open the frunk for instance... lol!

Is there any way to skip having to press the M button to acknowledge that start up message to read the safety card? I read the darned card already, it isn't that impressive.

And is there any danger of catching the machine on fire when filling up still, or did Can-Am address that issue in the later models? I remember reading a post somewhere about someone who "topped-off" the tank and the Spyder burst into flames just a few minutes after leaving the gas station... :-(

- Michael
    You will feel so much better after taking the course. Besides, I believe it is a state requirement now. It will also allow you to skip your driving test when you go to get your motorcycle license (if you don't already have one).

FYI: You always have to press the mode button to start your Spyder. You do not have to check out the card (ever). Your Spyder will start after hitting the mode button even if you never pull out that card.

As far as a Spyder catching fire after filling the tank, I have never heard of that but I would imagine if you overfill your tank and get gas all over the engine, it could be a possibility. I would be sure to never overfill the tank.

Enjoy the ride!

Spyder Garage

Question Safety gear?

What safety riding gear did the Mancuso safety course require to take the course? I'm sure a helmet is required (yes, I have a brand new one that fits snug)... what else though? Would it be better to wait till September to take the course, when it's not quite so blasted hot outside? How much of the course was spent outside on the bike?

What safety riding gear do ya'll recommend for our Texas summertime riding? I want to be safe, but I don't want to be a baked-potato if I can help it!

Funny story: When I took it (on the trailer still) to get the state inspection done yesterday, the inspector asked if I could start it up (still on the trailer)... I said "sure thing" (I'd spent all morning reading the owners manual and practising starting and putting it in gear and operating the lights and all), hopped on it and HOPPED OFF instantly... HOT HOT HOT! I had summertime shorts on and didn't realize the seat was baking hot, LMAO! ROF! That was NOT a fun experience I swear!

Any advise on realistic safety riding gear much appreciated! Thanks guys!

- Michael

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

What safety riding gear did the Mancuso safety course require to take the course? I'm sure a helmet is required (yes, I have a brand new one that fits snug)... what else though? Would it be better to wait till September to take the course, when it's not quite so blasted hot outside? How much of the course was spent outside on the bike?

What safety riding gear do ya'll recommend for our Texas summertime riding? I want to be safe, but I don't want to be a baked-potato if I can help it!

Funny story: When I took it (on the trailer still) to get the state inspection done yesterday, the inspector asked if I could start it up (still on the trailer)... I said "sure thing" (I'd spent all morning reading the owners manual and practising starting and putting it in gear and operating the lights and all), hopped on it and HOPPED OFF instantly... HOT HOT HOT! I had summertime shorts on and didn't realize the seat was baking hot, LMAO! ROF! That was NOT a fun experience I swear!

Any advise on realistic safety riding gear much appreciated! Thanks guys!

- Michael

Yes, I would recommend cooler weather when taking the course but the teachers supply plenty of water while you are on the track riding, so it is at least bearable if you were to take the class now. They also recommend that you bring plenty of drinks. For the riding portion of the class, they require a helmet, long pants and a long sleeve shirt. My wife & I both wore gloves. I can't remember if they required gloves or not but I think they do. We spent about 8 hours outside riding & testing and about 8 hours inside. The course goes on regardless of the weather conditions.

I have to be honest, we have purchased all kinds of safety gear, less pants. We have two different kinds of motorcycle jackets, one even has a thingy that holds fluids and has a hose you can drink out of. Both types have layers that you can peel out. My wife has a full helmet and a half helmet. My helmet is a half helmet. After saying that, we have discovered that it is just too darn hot right now to ride around in anything but shorts and short sleeve shirts. A lot of Spyder riders are having problems with heat coming out from the Tupperware (left and right side depending on the model). I can't say that we do not feel it, but it is not unbearable. I think it bothers my wife enough that she is going to start wearing long pants though. I still see some 2 wheel riders wearing full gear so I would say you need to wear what you feel comfortable with.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Thank you for all the good info! I appreciate it to no end!

- Michael