Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Texas motorcycle license

Hi! Recently moved from AZ with my 2012 red spyder RT and have been looking into getting a TX driver license with motorcycle endorsement. I can't seem to find any classes that will accept spyders! I don't want to take the standard 2 wheel classes that are typically offered. Anyone out there with knowledge? All advice appreciated!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Where in Texas are you moving to?? I live near Lake Livingston Tx. There are some classes around this area,,,

Wayne
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/WTC/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

Spyder Garage
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyder Garage

I live in Houston and if you can get someone to follow you in a car, they carry the DPS guy while you drive your bike in front of them to pass the road portion of the test.

I could not make such arrangements at the time, so I just took the basic motorcycle safety course, which is done on bikes provided by the instruction company...you don't even have the option to use your own ride.

You can then take your safety case endorsement to the DPS office, take the written test and you're done.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have a motorcycle endorsement from AZ? I would think that TX would issue you the same endorsement without any testing.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Class

Cowboy Honda host a trike class that lets spyders take it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Do you have a motorcycle endorsement from AZ? I would think that TX would issue you the same endorsement without any testing.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by muonwhiz View Post
    Hi! Recently moved from AZ with my 2012 red spyder RT and have been looking into getting a TX driver license with motorcycle endorsement. I can't seem to find any classes that will accept spyders! I don't want to take the standard 2 wheel classes that are typically offered. Anyone out there with knowledge? All advice appreciated!
    Here you go try these guys out
    http://www.motorcyclerentalshouston....sp?pg=training
    Greg
    2018 f3t , red

Spyder Garage

Default Texas Motorcycle License

Contact Marcus Renfroe in Lufkin, Texas at 9366746767. He gives the trike course the first weekend of each month and allows Spyder's. My wife and I took the course in March 2011. Marcus is a good instructor and makes this course material very interesting. He adds information from Europe. Marcus likes to keep the number of students to 8 or less.
    Reese
    2010 RT-S SE5 Orbital Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RAYYOU View Post
    Cowboy Honda host a trike class that lets spyders take it
    First thing I did was check with Cowboy, they said they are now just offering the classes where you have to use their 2 wheeled bike.

I don't have an AZ endorsement. I used to have a TX endorsement but when I moved to AZ didn't follow up on it there. I wasn't riding at the time.

I will check out the other options though! Anyone doing any weekend rides, let me know! I live in the Beaumont area now!

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default three wheel motorcycle course

there is a place in san antonio that offers a three wheel three track (TWTT)course
    SW motorcycle training
    5558 Old Pearsall Rd # 2 San Antonio, TX 78242
    (210) 623-8330

i took mine there rode my spyder there took course on it and rode home same day with course done all i had t do is mail in the waver card for the trike only waver and then take my written after the endorsement card came in the mail

morning classes afternoon parking lot work lot of good info learning the capabilities of the spyder they also teach the regular rear heel trike class also but we had all spyders in mine

Spyder Garage

Default TEXAS LIC

It is now mandantory to take safety course in texas regardless of age. Wife took one of the 2 wheel courses when we bought our sypder, no big deal and it makes the gov. happy

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcantrell52 View Post
    Contact Marcus Renfroe in Lufkin, Texas at 9366746767. He gives the trike course the first weekend of each month and allows Spyder's. My wife and I took the course in March 2011. Marcus is a good instructor and makes this course material very interesting. He adds information from Europe. Marcus likes to keep the number of students to 8 or less.
    Reese
    Thanks for the tip! I just took the trike class this last weekend with Marcus and it was alot of fun and very informative. Would recommend it to anyone. I was on the only spyder there and it definitely outperformed the other models there! With this completed will be able to get that license endorsement, not that it has stopped me from ryding!

Between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls Texas
    Spyder Garage

My wife is going to take a three wheel class on her Spyder at of all places Red River Harley in Wichita Falls. First week of October. She talked to the instructor and he said Spyders are welcome. He even rented one so he would know about them. Who said Harley people are snobs?
    Do things like your life depends on it. It COULD!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Surgonamishr View Post
    I live near Lake Livingston Tx.,,,

Wayne
    We in Conroe, need to get a ride together and meet up at pork-chops and go from there..

Spyder Garage

Default Texas Motorcycle License

Muonwhiz,
    Glad the information regarding Marcus was useful.
    Reese
    2010 RT-S SE5 Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

On this same topic, are there Spyder-friendly courses offered in the Cleveland/Livingston area that don't require the use of a 2-wheeled motorcycle (which terrify me!)?

I seem to be in a catch-22 situation, while I want to purchase a Spyder RS I've never so much as sat on one and the dealerships won't allow a prospective buyer to test-drive a Spyder without the motorcycle endorsement on license which obviously I lack since I do not and never have owned a motorcycle... soooo I'm supposed to purchase the thing without ever having driven one and just hope I like the Spyder Y-Factor ride?

I'm stumped it's a catch-22... any advise would be greatly appreciated ya'll!

I do have and love my '06 supercharged SeaDoo RXT which does ~70mph on calm water so that's the closest I've come to the Spyder ride I suppose. Though I also rode my grandfather's 3-wheeled Honda ATV when I was a teenager a few times before they were outlawed because so many idiots were flipping them over and breaking their necks... and my John Deere F525 lawn mower has 3 wheels come to think of it though it steers by it's single rear wheel and has no suspension or "nanny" to speak of but only goes 5mph max soooo.... LOL!

- Michael

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    We in Conroe, need to get a ride together and meet up at pork-chops and go from there..
    well set it dud so we can ride sounds good

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Michael211_2000;627183]On this same topic, are there Spyder-friendly courses offered in the Cleveland/Livingston area that don't require the use of a 2-wheeled motorcycle (which terrify me!)?

I seem to be in a catch-22 situation, while I want to purchase a Spyder RS I've never so much as sat on one and the dealerships won't allow a prospective buyer to test-drive a Spyder without the motorcycle endorsement on license which obviously I lack since I do not and never have owned a motorcycle... soooo I'm supposed to purchase the thing without ever having driven one and just hope I like the Spyder Y-Factor ride?

Here use this link my wife took this course last month

you use one of their SPYDERS if you dont have one it is in Larmarque, but only real 3 wheel course in the Houston area worth the drive
    Greg
    2018 f3t , red

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=springcrawler;627473]
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael211_2000 View Post
    On this same topic, are there Spyder-friendly courses offered in the Cleveland/Livingston area that don't require the use of a 2-wheeled motorcycle (which terrify me!)?

Here use this link my wife took this course last month

you use one of their SPYDERS if you dont have one it is in Larmarque, but only real 3 wheel course in the Houston area worth the drive
    Greg
    I'd suggest you find a dealer who will at least instruct you and let you ride around the parking lot. Another option would be to attend a BRP demo event, where they let you do a closed course ride. You can't blame them for not wanting to let you go out on the road illegally and untrained. You may also ask if someone in the dealership can take you on the road for a long ride as passenger. At least that will give you some additional feel for the machine.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default # wheel course

[QUOTE=NancysToy;627494]
    Quote Originally Posted by springcrawler View Post
    I'd suggest you find a dealer who will at least instruct you and let you ride around the parking lot. Another option would be to attend a BRP demo event, where they let you do a closed course ride. You can't blame them for not wanting to let you go out on the road illegally and untrained. You may also ask if someone in the dealership can take you on the road for a long ride as passenger. At least that will give you some additional feel for the machine.
    My wife and I took the 3 wheel course two months ago with Marcus Renfro In Lufkin TX (the Cycle Shop) 936 637 7555. If you dont have your own 3 wheel he does have a trike and a side car that is furnished.

Spyder Garage

Thanks... still no luck though. Have not so much as sat on a Spyder to date. (sigh!)

ps. I wasn't getting e-mail notifications on this Topic, I finally came back to the topic just to see if anybody else had said anything and what do you know! LOL! Some days you're the dog, some days you're the fire hydrant.

- Michael

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michael211_2000 View Post

I do have and love my '06 supercharged SeaDoo RXT which does ~70 mph on calm water so that's the closest I've come to the Spyder ride I suppose. Though I also rode my grandfather's 3-wheeled Honda ATV when I was a teenager a few times before they were outlawed because so many idiots were flipping them over and breaking their necks... and my John Deere F525 lawn mower has 3 wheels come to think of it though it steers by it's single rear wheel and has no suspension or "nanny" to speak of but only goes 5mph max soooo.... LOL!

- Michael
    My wife & I just completed a three wheel class that was held this past Monday & Tuesday. The class provided three Spyders . The class was held at the Greyhound racetrack in Lamarque. We live north of New Caney so it was a pretty far ride for us. We had one participant that came all the way from the Dallas/Fort Worth area. These classes are hard to find. Try contacting Keith Rovell (krovell@mancuso-hd.com). If you are interested, he could point you in the right direction for an upcoming class in our area.

I would recommend this course to anyone even thinking about buying a Spyder. The cost is high (250.00) but the course really introduces you to the Spyder and how it handles . If you pass, not only will you have experienced a great test ride and learned good motorcycle safety, but once you purchase a Spyder, all you will have to do is take the written test at DPS.

Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by 54spyder View Post
    My wife & I just completed a three wheel class that was held this past Monday & Tuesday. The class provided three Spyders . The class was held at the Greyhound racetrack in Lamarque. We live north of New Caney so it was a pretty far ride for us.
    I live just north-east of New Caney also, out in the Plum Grove neighborhood. Kinda not liking it here the neighborhood is going downhill pretty fast I need to move...

I believe I have spoken with Keith at Mancuso about 2 months ago, he wasn't that helpful really... his only suggestion was that I do the paperwork to purchase a Spyder and take it somewhere and ride it and if I don't like it bring it back in 3 days and he'd tear the paperwork up and cancel the sale. That seemed like a lot of hassle to go thru to me, honestly... and then on top of that they didn't have a black RS (my preference) in stock and would have had to order 1 direct from Can-Am with a 3-4 week wait. Of course that was 2 months ago and I had no idea this quest was going to be 1 hassle after another I swear...

Did you buy yours new from Mancuso (or another dealership) or pre-owned from a private seller?

My next issue has turned out to be financing: even with a 700 credit score owning my home (no mortgage or anything) and with up to roughly 50% cash (~$7K +) to put down on a Spyder, I can't get financing because (they tell me) I haven't had anything financed recently so I have no history of making payments on time on anything. My last new vehicle was paid off in 2003, and I haven't come across anything I wanted to buy since then (till now!); I've purchased new from dealers 3 personal vehicles and 2 Peterbilt 18-wheelers in my adult life, but I can't get financing on a little 3 wheeled "roadster"?
    Does this ever end?

- Michael

Spyder Garage

Default coast

just keep moving in an easterly direction, until you hit the coast of South Carolina.... we don't need a motorcycle-endorsement to ride a SPYD3R here....
    006.jpg