Spyder Garage

Default Florida Tag for RT-622 Trailer

I have a RT-622 trailer that was originally titled in Illinois. We moved to Florida a couple months ago and need to get a Florida plate since the Illinois one is about to expire. I went to the DMV to start the process and was told I had to have the trailer weighed on a scale first. I have never heard of such a thing. Has anyone else had a trailer plate transferred to Florida from another state? Did you have to take your trailer to a weigh station to get a form stating the actual weight of the trailer?
    Last edited by Y Rider; 08-09-2012 at 04:37 PM.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

California made me remove all the body panels on my Spyder so they could see the actual engine number.

Each state has their own set of crazy rules.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Yes or find a moving company in your area that has scale.
    Last edited by johnnyg; 08-09-2012 at 04:41 PM.

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

Spyder Garage

Default weight

call brp to get weight

Spyder Garage

Michigan has the same, unless the weight is stated on the previous title or registration. Most states have certified weigh stations. The local scrap yard, or an agricultural scale, will often be certified. They will usually also have the proper forms. They only charge a few bucks to weigh a trailer, and you don't even have to disconnect it. Check with your DMV and see if they have a list of certified scales in your area.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input. Looks like the closest facility to get a certified weight is a not so local landfill. They charge $5. Not sure why the Florida DMV won't accept the weight on the ID plate on the trailer.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    Thanks for the input. Looks like the closest facility to get a certified weight is a not so local landfill. They charge $5. Not sure why the Florida DMV won't accept the weight on the ID plate on the trailer.
    The ID plate is the GTWR. Some states require the actual weight, not the loaded capacity. It is an archaic law, for the most part, lumping small cargo trailers with semi trailers. It is easiest to just go along with it and get it over with.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The ID plate is the GTWR. Some states require the actual weight, not the loaded capacity. It is an archaic law, for the most part, lumping small cargo trailers with semi trailers. It is easiest to just go along with it and get it over with.
    Ditto on that.

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

Spyder Garage

I have a RT-622 trailer that was originally titled in Illinois. We moved to Florida a couple months ago and need to get a Florida plate since the Illinois one is about to expire. I went to the DMV to start the process and was told I had to have the trailer weighed on a scale first. I have never heard of such a thing. Has anyone else had a trailer plate transferred to Florida from another state? Did you have to take your trailer to a weigh station to get a form stating the actual weight of the trailer?
    I moved from Arizona to Florida this past April, and I too was surprised they asked for a certified scale weight. I bought my trailer in Golden, Colorado, from a company that makes custom trailers. If the weight is on your title, they'll accept that, but mine wasn't, so I paid $10 to a local trucking company to weigh mine. The weight issue was a pain, but I was more disappointed to find out I had to register the trailer every year. In Arizona, you pay a one time fee and get a PERMANENT sticker with NO expiration!

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Desert Spyder View Post
    I moved from Arizona to Florida this past April, and I too was surprised they asked for a certified scale weight. I bought my trailer in Golden, Colorado, from a company that makes custom trailers. If the weight is on your title, they'll accept that, but mine wasn't, so I paid $10 to a local trucking company to weigh mine. The weight issue was a pain, but I was more disappointed to find out I had to register the trailer every year. In Arizona, you pay a one time fee and get a PERMANENT sticker with NO expiration!

Welcome to FL... wherd we get cha coming and going...
    The only good view of a thunderstorm is in your rearview mirror.

Spyder Garage

Default Weight no problem

I would think DMV wants a certified weight. You can get a certified weight by finding your nearest truck stop with a scale such as Pilot or a TA. You pull all the way accross the scale with only the trailer tires on the scale, then notif the weigh master to récord the weight. Make sure the trailer is empty and that you are not standing on the scale when the weigh master records the weight. I have done this thousands of times as I drove 18 wheelers 15 years. Their is a speaker and camera at the scale so they can see you and talk to you.

Spyder Garage

Default Florida tag

You really want the empty weight, because the fee is based on weight. Don't feel too bad about paying each year, we don't have income tax, we don't have personal property tax(which I got hit with in Virginia when stationed there), we don't have annual inspection fees(that my brother in NC pays in addition to state income tax).
    2009 GS SE5 Silver

Spyder Garage

Cool Welcome home, Yeochief

Quote Originally Posted by Yeochief View Post
    You really want the empty weight, because the fee is based on weight. Don't feel too bad about paying each year, we don't have income tax, we don't have personal property tax(which I got hit with in Virginia when stationed there), we don't have annual inspection fees(that my brother in NC pays in addition to state income tax).
    Glad you made it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Hummmm.... very interesting... I have a home made with road tags and the cargo that I pull with the spyder.
    Neither, to get weighed to get tags..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    Hummmm.... very interesting... I have a home made with road tags and the cargo that I pull with the spyder.
    Neither, to get weighed to get tags..

We've been keepin an eye on ya, Forrest, when you ride by the Dunkin Donut.