Thread: Go Pro Camera

Spyder Garage

Default Go Pro Camera

Looking at mounting a Go Pro camera on my 2012 RT. Has anyone mounted one on their Spyder. If you have can you post pics?

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I recommend against it. It picks up way too much vibration from the engine. You are better of with a helmet mount or the chest harness
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dschnepp View Post
    Looking at mounting a Go Pro camera on my 2012 RT. Has anyone mounted one on their Spyder. If you have can you post pics?
    I use Ram Mounts ( at: www.RAM-MOUNT.COM ) for my Go-Pro and TomTom GPS and they are mounted on my handle bars. I shot a lot of video and the Go-Pro filters out all the vibration.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeinGA; 08-09-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

Have any posted on YouTube or anywhere?

Spyder Garage

I mounted my Midland XTC cam on the rear handgrip. Didn't get much vibration, but would like to find better mounting points.

---------
    Jive
    Beckley, WV
    2012 Pure Magnesium Metallic Spyder RTS SM5, SpyderPops Belt Guard

Spyder Garage

I tried a couple of mounting places on my RS-- too much vibration no matter where I put it. Ditto the recommendation to look into the helmet mount or (my personal favorite ) the chest harness.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

I use a PanaVise suction mount on the body just below the console, just in front of the mirrors. It works fine, although our camera is smaller than the GoPro, so may not shake as much.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 08-09-2012 at 10:08 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I use the suction mount on the left rear storage compartment.If you use the slo-mo settings it helps in smoothing out the vibration.

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Go Pro

I used the Suction mount for the Go Pro and mounted it on the side of my unit just below the mirrors, will try to post a picture and you can see it mounted on the bike. I have just come back from an 11,000 kilometer ride across Canada from Alberta. There are also a couple of pics using the camera and they look pretty good in motion and at a standstill.DSC01163 edited.jpgGOPR1676.jpgGOPR2086.jpgGOPR1495.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Mounting a GO Pro

DAG!!!! You people must have some BIG cookies! Mounting a camera on a moving vehicle using, of all things a suction cup?!? Please send to me some seeds from that money tree in your back yard . Ya'all must have some deep deep pockets!
    GO-PRO HD 1080 MSRP $240.00
    GO-PRO KD2 1080 MSRP $300.00
    DRIFT HD170 MSRP $369.00
    EPIC 01 MSRP $80.00
    EPIC HD MSRP $220.00
    CONTOUR ROAM HD MSRP $200.00
    CONTOUR GPS HD MSRP $300.00
    Huh?
    All of the electronics mounted to my Gold Wing are mounted using RAM mounts, including my DRIFT HD170 and my ZUMO GPS and my VALENTINE radar detector! BTW I did not spend MSRP but still! After all the drama I had to go through just to get permission to buy all those goodies from you know who, can you imagine the DRAMA that I would have to deal with when the gear fell off the bike and was lost?
    I'll pay the full shipping just please send to me those seeds!
    MHO Peace and Love
    Last edited by Questions; 08-19-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydieRydie View Post
    DAG!!!! You people must have some BIG cookies! Mounting a camera on a moving vehicle using, of all things a suction cup?!? Please send to me some seeds from that money tree in your back yard . Ya'all must have some deep deep pockets!
    GO-PRO HD 1080 MSRP $240.00
    GO-PRO KD2 1080 MSRP $300.00
    DRIFT HD170 MSRP $369.00
    EPIC 01 MSRP $80.00
    EPIC HD MSRP $220.00
    CONTOUR ROAM HD MSRP $200.00
    CONTOUR GPS HD MSRP $300.00
    Huh?
    All of the electronics mounted to my Gold Wing are mounted using RAM mounts, including my DRIFT HD170 and my ZUMO GPS and my VALENTINE radar detector! BTW I did not spend MSRP but still! After all the drama I had to go through just to get permission to buy all those goodies from you know who, can you imagine the DRAMA that I would have to deal with when the gear fell off the bike and was lost?
    I'll pay the full shipping just please send to me those seeds!
    MHO Peace and Love
    The goPro suction cup mounts are incredibly strong. onces its on, it aint coming off.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default mounting a GO-PRO

Hi MiHardies, thank you for your reply. First, if you can live in Las Vegas and survive in these economic conditions then your pockets must be deep! Also the roads in your area must be smooth as a baby"s arse! I live in south central Pennsylvania (the pot hole state) and we like so many others struggle at times to make ends meet! But IMMHO trusting a suction cup to hold onto a toy that set me back $350.00 +, well that's just being dumb!
    MHO Peace and Love

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydieRydie View Post
    Hi MiHardies, thank you for your reply. First, if you can live in Las Vegas and survive in these economic conditions then your pockets must be deep! Also the roads in your area must be smooth as a baby"s arse! I live in south central Pennsylvania (the pot hole state) and we like so many others struggle at times to make ends meet! But IMMHO trusting a suction cup to hold onto a toy that set me back $350.00 +, well that's just being dumb!
    MHO Peace and Love
    Whatever man. I had the same opinion as you. Then I tried it. Don't be so closed minded as to dismiss it out of hand. I first tried by mounting it with the nearly 4" suction cup to my frunk hood. Then tried to pull it off. Straight up and at an angle. Pulled on it hard enough I was worried about damaging my frunk. That's when I realized it would hold even on rough roads. I do not use most vehicle mounts because they pick up too much vibration from the road and the engine. Chest and helmet mounts tend to result in much more usable video.

And surviving this economic downturn required two things. 1)keeping my job. And 2)not spending beyond my means. One has complete control over the second, and beyond the possibility of a layoff, near complete control over the first. I didn't buy anything, Car, house, motorcycle, camera, that I knew I couldn't afford with cushion for the foreseeable future. It was for this reason I didn't buy a Spyder when they first came out in '08. It's also why I didn't immediately replace my gopro when it got wet when I accidentally took it in my pool without the waterproof back on it. So don't knock me for being responsible with my money and calling me dumb then trying to diffuse it with "peace and love"

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We have the chrome airwings/deflector under the mirrors, and I drilled a hole the fit the ram mount there for my contour.
    I first had it over the dashboard, but to much interference from the electronics sometimes messed the recording up.

If you want to see how it looks I can post a picture tomorrow.
    Modifying the RT to travel Canada.

Spyder Garage

Default POV mounts...

Here are a couple of pics on my Drift mounted on the lower air deflectors. This position is very stable.

Drift rear.jpgDrift side.jpg
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Spyder Garage

Default Helmet mounted Drift HD170

I am going to mount it on a few other places (hopefully this weekend) and will let you know the results.

The song in the video is what the Philadelphia Flyers and Philadelphia Union use when they score goals.

Fastmo in the beginning of video to try and match song...this was a fun attempt of editing with transitions.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    I recommend against it. It picks up way too much vibration from the engine. You are better of with a helmet mount or the chest harness
    I gave up trying to mount on the spyder every location I tried I got vibration. I purchased the chest mount and although you get some VERY strange looks it works quite well. I like it because you can film (err video) with handle bars and dash in frame and adds a border that makes it more interesting. Although the only person who like these types of videos are people like us, everyone else things there boring, it like bringing out the projector and showing the kids as toddlers no one is interested except the parents.

Need some sort of gimbal anti vibration mount, they make them for RC helicopters that photographers use, maybe it will be a winter project.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    Whatever man. I had the same opinion as you. Then I tried it. Don't be so closed minded as to dismiss it out of hand. I first tried by mounting it with the nearly 4" suction cup to my frunk hood. Then tried to pull it off. Straight up and at an angle. Pulled on it hard enough I was worried about damaging my frunk. That's when I realized it would hold even on rough roads. I do not use most vehicle mounts because they pick up too much vibration from the road and the engine. Chest and helmet mounts tend to result in much more usable video.

And surviving this economic downturn required two things. 1)keeping my job. And 2)not spending beyond my means. One has complete control over the second, and beyond the possibility of a layoff, near complete control over the first. I didn't buy anything, Car, house, motorcycle, camera, that I knew I couldn't afford with cushion for the foreseeable future. It was for this reason I didn't buy a Spyder when they first came out in '08. It's also why I didn't immediately replace my gopro when it got wet when I accidentally took it in my pool without the waterproof back on it. So don't knock me for being responsible with my money and calling me dumb then trying to diffuse it with "peace and love"

Well said. And i agree totally.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Go Pro Camera

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    I gave up trying to mount on the spyder every location I tried I got vibration. I purchased the chest mount and although you get some VERY strange looks it works quite well. I like it because you can film (err video) with handle bars and dash in frame and adds a border that makes it more interesting. Although the only person who like these types of videos are people like us, everyone else things there boring, it like bringing out the projector and showing the kids as toddlers no one is interested except the parents.

Need some sort of gimbal anti vibration mount, they make them for RC helicopters that photographers use, maybe it will be a winter project.

harry
    You think you get strange looks with a gopro on a chest harness, try a contour on a gopro chest harness. Looks like the hilt of a dagger sticking out of your chest.

Spyder Garage

Default Go Pro Camera

We put right up front and on the dash. Vibration is not a problem, but as the windsheild picks up bugs it ruins the picture. Will probably move it before the next filming.
    2015 SE6 RT-S
    Black/Red Special Edition.

Spyder Garage

Default Go Pro Camera

Video i've done with my contour: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8zy4pK1GPV0
    Video I've done with my gopro: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b4lQU3xWhn8