Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Dont change your own Oil if you want to keep your warranty!

I just got off the phone with Alex on BRP's customer support line. He made it very clear that he was telling me how it is, and if I don't like it, there is nothing I can do. He also told me very clearly, and I asked him to make sure I understood the following. If you change your own oil, or do any of your own service work, then BRP will honor your warranty at their discretion. Since Alex didn't seem to be concerned about my current issues, at BRP's discretion translates into no warranty.

To be fair, my dealer really seems to care, and is trying to help me, but they are held to follow BRP's rules or else.

And let me be clear. Alex didn't say, if you don't change your oil. Or if you don't follow the recommendations in the maintenence schedule. He said, if an authorized dealer doesn't do your service work. I asked him multiple times because I couldn't believe I was stupid enough to purchase this motorcycle.

I enjoy the ride and I have had a Spyder since 2008. But now when I look at my new RTS I feel like I was tricked.

In one day I have gone from suggesting these bikes to friends to warning others to stay away. To be honest they are a lot of fun, unless you have an issue. Then you discover that most dealers don't know how to work on them because they are nothing like motorcycles, and BRP is not very concerned about customers. And now you know IF YOU CHANGE YOUR OWN OIL and have a major problem that is due to material defects, well......maybe they will/won't cover it because you didn't pay the dealer $150 plus parts to change the oil.

That warranty we promised you when you layed out 30K, well that's at our discretion. I wonder if getting my money back and buying a Goldwing is at my discretion.

Spyder Garage

I don't know what your issue is, and I don't care what Alex says, it is not that cut and dried. In the US, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits a manufacturer from voiding your warranty because you did the service, or had a third party do so. That's the law...not some service rep's mumbo jumbo.

Now here's where it gets a little complicated. First, you have to be able to prove that the service was done according to their schedule and to their specs. That's pretty easy if you document the srvice work, including all tasks performed, the mileage, and the date. Keeping the receipts for the oil, filter, and gaskets is a big help, too. On their end, they have to show that the work (or modifications) you performed directly caused or contributed to the problem in question. The remainder of the warranty remains in effect, BTW.

I suspect there is more to this story than we have read here. If you feel that you have been legally shortchanged, however, it may be necessary to contact a lawyer for further advice. There are specific legal obligations on the part of both parties before a thing like this is supposed to happen.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

zrc

Warranties are overrated!

I am not going to defend BRP or your dealer cause I dont know whats going on, but you do have legal recourse, however, I would suggest trying other means prior to using this last source effort. Since your dealer is trying to help (do something) and seems to be caring, might they let you know what is wrong with the machine?

Last edited by zrc; 08-07-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

"To be fair, my dealer really seems to care, and is trying to help me, but they are held to follow BRP's rules or else."

What is your dealer trying to help you do? Is there a problem? there are many smart folks on here that may be able to help.

"Then you discover that most dealers don't know how to work on them because they are nothing like motorcycles,....."

How did you discover that most dealers don't know how to work on them? Personally, I don't need my Spyder dealer to be able to work on a motorcycle. I have heard good things about many dealers and bad things about a couple. Cowtown in South Fort Worth is pretty good IMHO, if you are looking for a new dealer.

NancysToy is right about the warranty issue and, I agree, it sounds like there is more to the story.
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyder Garage

"Since Alex didn't seem to be concerned about my current issues"

What are the issues you're having and what prompted you to feel the need to contact customer service because of them?

You said your dealer is working with you........ on what?

Understand you're frustrated. Thing is you know the whole story and while you may think you were clear about it in your post. Actually to those of us listening.....it has a lot of blanks.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I'm sorry... but I take a first post like this with more than a shaker full of salt.

A severe lack of information just looks like there is a whole lot more to the story and we don't even have a hint at one side.

If you want to post on this site, don't look for sympathy from others until you provide details of the dispute. If things are still ongoing, why not wait a bit before bashing BRP?
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

This sounds a lot like the " no of fence" one time Harley poster who "wanted to understand".
    i suggest we respond no further unroll we hear more specifics. My 2cents says we don't get any.
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    2012 RT Limited Lava (traded 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Utopia Backrest, Hi mounter tail light, FZ1 fuse box, aux power outlet, CB and Gerbing outlets
    2014 RT Limited Cognac (purchased 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Spyder Backrest, 2012 CB and Gerbing outlets
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Actually the monkeys employed by some dealerships are more likely to screw it up

Previous owner paid a Can Am certified dealer to change the oil and they overfilled it so bad he had to take it to the other dealer in town and pay them to replace the fouled plugs and clean the oil out of the airbox.

I have the paperwork from the dealership showing the cleanup cost. Previous owner was a young guy and way too nice, don't know why he did not ream the dealership that screwed it up and make them fix it, he paid over $350 to undo what they did.

David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Monkey View Post
    Previous owner paid a Can Am certified dealer to change the oil and they overfilled it so bad he had to take it to the other dealer in town and pay them to replace the fouled plugs and clean the oil out of the airbox.

I have the paperwork from the dealership showing the cleanup cost. Previous owner was a young guy and way too nice, don't know why he did not ream the dealership that screwed it up and make them fix it, he paid over $350 to undo what they did.

David
    Are you the OP?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mspiv View Post
    This sounds a lot like the " no of fence" one time Harley poster who "wanted to understand".
    i suggest we respond no further unroll we hear more specifics. My 2cents says we don't get any.
    I agree..just noticed "RTS_Owner" just joined this forum today and has had a Spyder since 2008

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Are you the OP?
    No, just venting. OP might not be telling the whole story but I am frustrated at dealers right now. Mine kinda jerked me around a little on warranty too.

David

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default You missed the point.

There is only one issue of any concern to me, and you all seem to be missing it. The attitude and statement from BRP. I am an engineer and have been fixing my vehicles since college, and I leave out the details that have no bearing. But ...

There is no more to the story. The problem I had, didn't have anything to do with a warranty repair. I have had all my issues resolved from my dealer, and they were not related to the warranty. But that is not the point. I called to ask about the new plastic cover that BRP is providing to make oil changes free from you having to start by removing your rear view mirror. I mentioned to the BRP representative that I change my own oil. Then the BRP rep told me that if I do my own service, than warranty repairs are at their discretion. He added that it would play against me if I ever had a problem.

I am upset because if I have a problem I don't want to sue to get it resolved. If I follow all the guidelines, then I want my warranty repairs done no questions asked. I don't like the hypothetical possibility that it is up to anyones discretion. If when I was buying my second Spyder, the sales person had told me if you do your own service and you have some big problem with your bike this warranty might not be honored, unless you take them to court and spend a ton of time and money to make them fix it, well I might have given some thought to whether this was a good decision.

And if you have read the forum you would know that there are a lot of dealers who stumble around trying to fix the bikes. I didn't say no one can fix them, I didn't even say my dealer can't fix them. I actually think I have a great dealer, with some of the best techs around, but ask your dealer about the debug process. They have to get the ok from BRP for everything. I was told today the wait time for them is about an hour. I live in fear that I will have a serious problem that I can't fix, where I will have to leave the bike at the dealer for weeks. Take a look at the happy stories on this web site and look how long the bikes sit at the dealer. And the techs at my dealer say the bike is difficult for most of them to work on because it isn't a motorcycle.

Let me summarize. I want BRP's policy to be we stand behind our product and we are there to support our customers. This doesn't mean that if I drive 20K miles and never change the oil they will replace the engine. But I don't want them to be asking for the receipt for the filter on oil change number 10. And if you think him telling me that if you don't have the service done at the dealer warranty repairs are at our discretion doesn't say alot about the company, than you are nieve. This is the guy they have selected to answer the phone and represent their company. He is the same guy YOU will call if you have a problem.

I enjoy riding my bike. I ride it every day to work and I have had a Spyder in the garage for four years. I put up my money to get any color that came into the dealer when they first came out. But the guy who answered the phone had an attitude that told me that he was in charge. This is the same person I might have to deal with if my engine dies. And it can happen. The dealer told me they have had to replace engines in Spyders multiple times, but they sell third pary warranty coverage, and thats who paid.

Ok, now you can say. There must be more to the story and ignore what Alex told me. A good product does not stand on its own, it stands on the foundation of the company that makes it. And attitudes flow down hill.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I didn't just join today.

I didn't just join today and had a Spyder since 08. I lost my login info, and rejoined today.

zrc

Quote Originally Posted by RTS_Owner View Post
    There is only one issue of any concern to me, and you all seem to be missing it. The attitude and statement from BRP. I am an engineer and have been fixing my vehicles since college, and I leave out the details that have no bearing. But ...

There is no more to the story. The problem I had, didn't have anything to do with a warranty repair. I have had all my issues resolved from my dealer, and they were not related to the warranty. But that is not the point. I called to ask about the new plastic cover that BRP is providing to make oil changes free from you having to start by removing your rear view mirror. I mentioned to the BRP representative that I change my own oil. Then the BRP rep told me that if I do my own service, than warranty repairs are at their discretion. He added that it would play against me if I ever had a problem.

I am upset because if I have a problem I don't want to sue to get it resolved. If I follow all the guidelines, then I want my warranty repairs done no questions asked. I don't like the hypothetical possibility that it is up to anyones discretion. If when I was buying my second Spyder, the sales person had told me if you do your own service and you have some big problem with your bike this warranty might not be honored, unless you take them to court and spend a ton of time and money to make them fix it, well I might have given some thought to whether this was a good decision.

And if you have read the forum you would know that there are a lot of dealers who stumble around trying to fix the bikes. I didn't say no one can fix them, I didn't even say my dealer can't fix them. I actually think I have a great dealer, with some of the best techs around, but ask your dealer about the debug process. They have to get the ok from BRP for everything. I was told today the wait time for them is about an hour. I live in fear that I will have a serious problem that I can't fix, where I will have to leave the bike at the dealer for weeks. Take a look at the happy stories on this web site and look how long the bikes sit at the dealer. And the techs at my dealer say the bike is difficult for most of them to work on because it isn't a motorcycle.

Let me summarize. I want BRP's policy to be we stand behind our product and we are there to support our customers. This doesn't mean that if I drive 20K miles and never change the oil they will replace the engine. But I don't want them to be asking for the receipt for the filter on oil change number 10. And if you think him telling me that if you don't have the service done at the dealer warranty repairs are at our discretion doesn't say alot about the company, than you are nieve. This is the guy they have selected to answer the phone and represent their company. He is the same guy YOU will call if you have a problem.

I enjoy riding my bike. I ride it every day to work and I have had a Spyder in the garage for four years. I put up my money to get any color that came into the dealer when they first came out. But the guy who answered the phone had an attitude that told me that he was in charge. This is the same person I might have to deal with if my engine dies. And it can happen. The dealer told me they have had to replace engines in Spyders multiple times, but they sell third pary warranty coverage, and thats who paid.

Ok, now you can say. There must be more to the story and ignore what Alex told me. A good product does not stand on its own, it stands on the foundation of the company that makes it. And attitudes flow down hill.
    After reading all this, and thinking on it, basically I think Alex is a poor example of the company on this time and date. We might all have bad days at work and perhaps someone once took something you said and twisted it and made it something bad.

I wouldnt base my entire situation with a vehicle, its warranty, upkeep and repairs on a statement from a level 1 tech service person on a phone call one day.

But I can tell you this, you will probably have to purchase those panels, not sure you will get them free doing your own changes. Just a heads up there, enough people (and high proile spyder owners) are doing their own servicing that I think this person is misinformed and just off on the situation. To cause an uproar and flip out and live in ear over one statement from random guy 1 at BRP is a little dramatic in my eyes.

I am not defending them, I am not defending you, I really have no real concern or part in this grand scheme, Im just throwing out there an opinion based on everything I have read. If something like this makes you "live in fear" I am astonished you put a helmet on and ride. Cagers are much more intimidating than oil changes voiding your warranty.

DO WHAT YOU FEEL IS BEST. And it will all work out. I am gonna keep changing my oil and have no fear, I dont even know if I have a warranty anyway. And honestly, it doesnt matter.

Spyder Garage

Default BRP first line of contact ?

Who here knows first hand what qualifications these BRP phone answering reps have. Are they clerks?

Based on the one and ONLY call I have made. The young lady that took my call didn't know s... from shinola. She was basically following a decision tree provided her by someone with Spyder knowledge. Because she certainly had little.....if any, first hand knowledge.

In fact......and this is the gospel. She referred me here for answers and even suggested I contact Lamont. Now that's a fact.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 08-07-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Bashing BRP

I'm not bashing. But I am really angry and you can keep your sympathy. As far as I am concerned I made a deal with BRP. I am living up to my end and doing the service, (not to mention I paid for the bike), and when I was told that there is any possibility that they won't live up to their end, then I have a problem with BRP. I asked Alex if there was anyone else I could speak with and he told me NO. So as far as I am concerned, until I hear from someone above Alex, I am completely authorized to tell the world that BRP's attitude is that they may not voluntarily honor their warranty if you service your own bike.

Spyder Garage

You're blowing this whole thing way out of proportion. ANY company might have a rep that says things like this bozo did. Doesn't make him right.

Of COURSE warranty work is going to be done at THEIR discretion.... I mean... THEY'RE the ones supplying the (factory) warranty. If you get the extended warranty then it's at the discretion of the warranty company (B.E.S.T.) for example. You gave a perfect example (20,000 miles without an oil change) of why such work IS at their discretion.

Lately there have been a handful of people out here having some warranty issues, but that has NOT been typical of the other 7,000 members out here. Most of us have had few problems with our Spyders... and have had them fixed under warranty without such problems. People don't tend to post when everything is going just fine with their Spyder.

Your title of "Dont change your own Oil if you want to keep your warranty!" is alarmist and false information to be posting.

Research the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act if you're that worried about it.

I personally tire of people posting such misinformation about 'this or that' will cancel your warranty.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I hope you are kidding.

You are kidding about your response to me saying "I live in fear", and how you are suprised I ride. I "live in fear" of my wife noticing I bought another AR-15, but that doesn't mean I am afraid to go to the range. Or was that just a clever way to slight me, and indicate my concerns are of no substance. Someone should take a hard look at all the spelling errerrs I probably made.

zrc

You are kidding about your response to me saying "I live in fear", and how you are suprised I ride. I "live in fear" of my wife noticing I bought another AR-15, but that doesn't mean I am afraid to go to the range. Or was that just a clever way to slight me, and indicate my concerns are of no substance. Someone should take a hard look at all the spelling errerrs I probably made.
    It was technically a hyperbole, I was using it as a dramatic statement, thus invoking what I considered to be a similar style comment to you being as concerned as you are about a warranty that you are not even currently attempting to get anything from. I would reserve the concern for when there is an issue and BRP / Can-Am / Dealer X loses their shi!! and refuses to warranty repair something for you. There are laws and items in place to correct this issue. So my comment was a direct literary tool to attempt to bring some grounding to the topic at hand. I think you should reserve the concern for when you are actually slighted. I spell like 2 year old using hooked on phonics, so I am not the person to check anyone else.

Also, kudos on the new AR-15 they are slick rifles, and as long as you arent suggesting that your wife might shoot you, cause then we would all have to testify just for reading this thread, and that would be unfortunate.

Spyder Garage

I believe you've misunderstood the warranty issue. BRP isn't going to ask for the receipt for filter & oil change number 10 unless it has a bearing on the problem that is at issue. For example, if the problem has to do with a stopped up oil or air filter, they very well could require proof that you indeed performed the required scheduled maintenance. You're asking for warranty repairs '...no questions asked'. The warranty is a contract between BRP and the Spyder owner. They guarantee the product, provided you make sure the maintenance schedule is performed. If you fail to perform the required maintenance AND that failure on your part adds to or results in the failure of the product, then you have broken the terms of the contract & they may choose not to honor it. On the other hand, if an authorized dealer has performed the maintenance that has bearing on the failure, you're far more likely in the clear. That is why who performs the maintenance makes a difference. It only makes good business sense for BRP, or any other manufacturer, to inquire about related maintenance when a warranty issue is presented. If they didn't, they'd have plenty of folks who would take unfair advantage of them. I've seen plenty of posters on this forum advise that if you've added a performance enhancing mod to your Spyder and have it break down, make sure you return it to stock before taking it to the dealer so they'll be unaware of your mod. That is unscrupulous at best & may be illegal if your mod contributed to the failure.

As far as the dealer needing BRPs approval before working on a warranty item, that makes sense too. BRP is the company that has to pay for the labor the dealer performs on warranty related issues. They reserve the right to approve that labor before it is performed, much in the same way you would require them to gain your approval for labor that would be paid by you. Often, a warranty repair is not obvious without some time spent in investigation. Someone pays for that time.

I hope you find peace in your mind concerning this issue, which has obviously riled you.
    Last edited by MarkLawson; 08-07-2012 at 08:15 PM.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

WOW guys. This person posted thier experience over the phone after calling BRP and he gets bashed. Pretty f'ing sad way to treat people. He had a legitimate complaint and too many people on this site now act like BRP spokesmen and women.

Where are we supposed to get the proper info from if a contact at BRP doesn't provide it? From a website? Not me. I for one will continue to post good and bad things about the spyder and especially my dealings with BRP. 4 DPS units, 4 batteries ( no proper repair for the battery issue yet) and I am still riding, although I do carry jumper cables now.

Let people speak without making them feel slighted. Thats what websites are for. What if this was done when the throttle body issues, dps issues, fires etc came up. No response would have come from BRP. Be thankful for those that post honestly. If you dont like the post you have read, let it go. Its like people are waiting to jump into the discussion, even if it doesnt concern them.
    Last edited by dave01; 08-07-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Good on you!

"I've seen plenty of posters on this forum advise that if you've added a performance enhancing mod to your Spyder and have it break down, make sure you return it to stock before taking it to the dealer so they'll be unaware of your mod. That is unscrupulous at best & may be illegal if your mod contributed to the failure."

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have also talked to Alex and he is not the main man as he says you have to keep your cool with them and let your dealer talk for you it took my dealer 3.5 hours to fix my problem but yes Alex should not have a phone and he can't help you my problem was breaks and the dealer I bought my Spyder from sold water craft didn't have a clue how to fix eanything on it and I went to a nother daler (RPM Cycles Albemarle NC.) best in my book service fixed my bike while shop teck talked on the phone fixing the other dealers mess now I am happy happy happy BRP will fix it Alex should not have a job if he treats everybody like that I will never forget him

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If Alex is the main issue, file a complaint with BRP. I would not employ someone that is passing his belief and not company policy to customers. Maybe he can say " Would you like fries with your order"?.............No insult to the fast food industry workers here.

zrc

Alex, if your reading... Your doing it wrong, might wanna write that down.

I say this because someone mentioned tech support reading the forums, couldn't hurt.