Spyder Garage

Default Remove Front Speaker Grills?

Well, I think I might have blown one of my front speakers (yea--blasting "Rolling Stones" too loud!! LOL). In any case, can anyone tell me how to remove the front speaker grills? Do they just "pop" off or do I need to remove body parts to get them off? Thanks

Spyder Garage

The speaker grill just pops off, is a small screwdriver to get to pop it off. I'm not sure what's required to remove the speaker. You might have to remove the side panel.
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by captblack View Post
    The speaker grill just pops off, is a small screwdriver to get to pop it off. I'm not sure what's required to remove the speaker. You might have to remove the side panel.
    Thanks--I'll give it a try

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

search the forums - there is a thread with a video - not as easy as it sounds Lots of removal of sides and stuff
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb This blowed up pic shows where the TABs are located - Teddy says good luck

And while you have them off, you may want to consider painting them to match the color of your Spyder, as it makes for a really nice & complete look, especially if you also do the dash bezel & rear grills.... just our opinion that we thought we'd share

Speaker grills themselves, VERY EASY, as stated by others, just a small flat head screwdriver is all it takes. Haven't replaced nor removed the speakers, but as stated, should be a video on here somewhereGood Luck
    Attached Images Attached Images

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Teddy just found this for you as well - Such a good dog

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hottrodd7 View Post
    Well, I think I might have blown one of my front speakers (yea--blasting "Rolling Stones" too loud!! LOL). In any case, can anyone tell me how to remove the front speaker grills? Do they just "pop" off or do I need to remove body parts to get them off? Thanks
    You have to remove TONS of stuff to replace the front speakers. Mirrors. Both side panels. Dash panel. Windshield. Top of cluster. Glovebox, etc.

Plan on a good 4 hours to replace front speakers.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default TONS of stuff

Here is a picture of mine when I replaced the speakers
    IMG_0217.jpg

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

Spyder Garage

Just asking, please don't shoot the curious, are blown speakers covered under warranty.

I would guess not but that's a lot of tupperware to remove for a speaker.

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    Just asking, please don't shoot the curious, are blown speakers covered under warranty.

I would guess not but that's a lot of tupperware to remove for a speaker.

Harry
    They should be covered in my opinion. The speakers should have been chosen to handle anything you throw at them. They should be able to handle whatever max volume is.

If you're tearing down that far... I'd swap for some J&M or Polk speakers.

I'd certainly check with the dealer and see if warranty will cover the replacement.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Not sure if the following answers your question, but it's in the general area.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys for your responses. I'm not too worried about replacing the OEM's under warranty. I'm wanting to upgrade the speakers anyways.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please keep us in the loop on the replacement and upgrade process... I need better speakers too!
    AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Nugent, Iron Butterfly, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult... They need more horsepower behind them to really get your ears to bleeding!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default How the heck to get them back on?

Speaker grills themselves, VERY EASY, as stated by others, just a small flat head screwdriver is all it takes. Haven't replaced nor removed the speakers, but as stated, should be a video on here somewhereGood Luck[/QUOTE]

Perhaps a silly question: but how do you pop them back on? Some how the right corner of the right hand side on my 2010 RT SM5 popped out. I removed it to recent loss and can’t get it back on. Any tips?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rmillis View Post
    Speaker grills themselves, VERY EASY, as stated by others, just a small flat head screwdriver is all it takes. Haven't replaced nor removed the speakers, but as stated, should be a video on here somewhereGood Luck

Perhaps a silly question: but how do you pop them back on? Some how the right corner of the right hand side on my 2010 RT SM5 popped out. I removed it to recent loss and can’t get it back on. Any tips?[/QUOTE]

Popping them back on - I would put just a small DAB of liquid soap on the Tabs to assist …. after it dries it might actually help hold it on ….. I changed my speakers ( all four ) to JBL 2 ohm models ( fantastic sound & in-expensive too ) as I recall I got the front speakers out using a screw driver that had a spring extension ( it's much smaller than even a 1/4 " swivel ) that allowed it to bend a bit ….. got all four out with just removing the grills …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Popping them back on - I would put just a small DAB of liquid soap on the Tabs to assist …. after it dries it might actually help hold it on ….. I changed my speakers ( all four ) to JBL 2 ohm models ( fantastic sound & in-expensive too ) as I recall I got the front speakers out using a screw driver that had a spring extension ( it's much smaller than even a 1/4 " swivel ) that allowed it to bend a bit ….. got all four out with just removing the grills.
    I unintentionally left the RT warm up in the Okanagan sunshine while the grill was shaded in the trunk. I inserted the bottom first and then the top corner. Then using a small plastic trim remover tool popped in the last leftmost corner. It’s not right, but nor is the grill on the left. So far it’s stayed on at highway speeds.

What JBL models did you use? What’s the popular Polk speaker?

I seem to ONLY have front speakers.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-14-2019 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Quote display fixed

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rmillis View Post
    I unintentionally left the RT warm up in the Okanagan sunshine while the grill was shaded in the trunk. I inserted the bottom first and then the top corner. Then using a small plastic trim remover tool popped in the last leftmost corner. It’s not right, but nor is the grill on the left. So far it’s stayed on at highway speeds.

What JBL models did you use? What’s the popular Polk speaker?

I seem to ONLY have front speakers.
    What year RT do you have ???? …. I thought all RT's that had the audio package had FOUR speakers 2 frt. + 2 rear ……. help me I'll help you ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

2010 sm5.