Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Why did you purchase the Spyder?

I know there are a bunch of reasons let's hear them. For me:

I had ridden sport (VFR)and sporty (KZ, Nighthawk) and dirt bikes for many years.Eleven years ago I had an accident on my son's dirt bike, on father's day no less, and ended up breaking my neck. So next thing I know I am in the hospital paralyzed from my chest down. After surgery and a few months of rehab I was back walking and living a semi-normal life with residual issues. For the past few years I have been contemplating getting a trike since I am too weak to chance trying to support up a bike. The other main issue is the loss of dexterity in my hands. My right hand is unable to reach for a brake lever but I can still twist a throttle. :-) So the foot brake is a perfect solution for this, along with the ABS. I was hoping for the auto tranny to be available just to make things easier but I'm sure I'll manage.

My son is now 23 (me 45) and he rides a GSXR1000. I'm hoping the Spyder will allow us to enjoy the open road the way we did back in the day when I'd take him to school and he was the coolest kid hopping off the back of the VFR.

Seaya guys on the road someday...hopefully soon. :bigthumbsup:

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Why did you purchase the Spyder?

Sounds like they made the Spyder just for you. :bigthumbsup: Sorry about your accident but glad you're able to get back in the wind. I can't wait for the day I can ride with my son. I'll ride one of the bikes and let him have the Spyder so he can be cool.

Spyder Garage

The Spyder we have on order is mainly for my wife. She too crashed her Yamaha Vstar 6 years ago and broke her leg in 5 places, 5 ribs and collar bone. I continue to ride either my Harley or BMW but she is getting antsy to have her own ride again. This spring, per her request, we found a 1995 BMW R100R with an SCF sidecar. Fully set up as a side car should be with car tires, leading link front end, stabilizers etc. Although she finds this to be OK, we tried the Spyder and she absolutely loved it. they had her take it into the gravel behind the dealership and try to do things one normally wouldn't do on purpose. It gave her a better sense of control than the sidecar. Since I just ordered a new Harley, I couldn't really protest the Spyder plus I really do think it is fun and will ride it myself. Our 30 year old son rides a Suzuki 750 Katana. As an aside, shortly after he got the Katana, a guy ran a stop sign and our son T-boned a Toyota RAV. When the ambulance showed up and asked where the victim was, he was walking around the sidewalk totally pissed his new bike was wrecked. The moral is he had a helmet and riding jacket on. Put his head through the back seat window and his fist through the front. Cracked the bike in 2 but he walked away with a sore fist. It may not look cool be we all wear our helmets in this family. 2 crashes and no horrendous injuries. Sorry for the sermon. Thanks.

Bob
    Lucky

2015 RTS SE6
    2008 Harley Ultra
    1999 BMW R1200C
    1986 Harley Electraglide

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

: I have been riding motorcycles for 44 years and never thought there would come a day that I would want to stop. In June I had my 3rd accident and started to have some doubts about my abilities to continue to ride safely. At 60 most of my riding is with my wife as a passenger. I started to notice the weight of the bike with the two of us on it in slow moving traffic. After reading about the Spyder on line and getting a chance to ride one I decided this is the right vehicle for me at this stage of my life. So I put my $1,000 down and hope to get my Yellow Spider in March of 2008. I sold my Triumph and my Yamaha in August and look forward to riding on three wheels. The stability of the Spyder is what sold me. That and the 106HP V twin!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hell I've had birt bikes three wheelers four wheelers and street bikes,and I never had something brand new.Now
    I,m getting something "BRAND NEW".I'm only 36 and I think the spyder will bring young riders and old together.
    Cool