Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Out the Door Price--help!

I test drove a Spyder in June and loved it. Called the dealer in So. Cal in early August and was quoted $14,999 (silver) plus taxes, fees, documents for a total out the door (otd) of $16,753. Called back today and was told $19,500 otd because of "freight and assembly" fees! Called a second dealer and was told, "Well, we can't really quote you an otd price because we don't know where BRP is going to set the msrp." I explained that BRP, on their own website in a q and a, set it at $14,999. Then they told me they weren't sure how much it would cost, but probably around 18 or 19 grand otd. This seems pretty outrageous--I'm curious to know from folks who have already paid in full to find out the final price that they paid. Any west coast buyers? Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Out the Door Price--help!

In north central Wisconsin, Donahue Supersports in Wisconsin Rapids, $14999 for the silver plus $300 shipping plus tax, title and license. We ordered a bunch of accessories and they said they would try to discount them once they got their dealer pricing. It sounds like CA is doing what Harley dealers did years ago and adding on dealer markups due to their scarcity. Good luck on your quest.

Bob
    Lucky

2015 RTS SE6
    2008 Harley Ultra
    1999 BMW R1200C
    1986 Harley Electraglide

Spyder Garage

Hi,
    I'm in Michigan and here is the info directly off my invoice. I ordered silver.
    Sales Price $14999
    Freight & Setup $600
    Sales Tax $899.94
    License & Title fees $28.00

Total out the door was $16526.94

Now my husband paid an extra $300 for the yellow one and because of that his sales tax was $18.00 more so his total out the door was $16844.94
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the help with otd prices. Using the info provided, I've already been able to find better deals. I've located a different dealership that is much closer to the prices quoted in the other posts. Shipping/freight is still higher (around 900 bucks)--perhaps because we are a longer trip from the plany where the spyder is made? I'm still hoping to find a way to match the prices listed on this website. Thanks again!

Way2Fast

It doesn't matter how far from the factory the dealership is. All dealers pay the same for freight...as a matter of fact, freight is part of the dealer invoice price and isn't itemized separately on it. Dealers just pick a number and decide what THEY want to charge for the freight. As with BRP personal watercraft, some dealers won't even add on any freight charge because their is enough profit built into the difference between their invoice price and the selling price. This, plus the holdback dealers receive from the factory (usually 3% of the MSRP on all units sold)amounts to a good profit.

Richard

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Based on all of the great info posted here, I was able to negotiate a price for a Spyder today for just a bit more than others paid. It's going to be really difficult to get it at cost out here because of the demand, and the fact that there seems to be some wealthy folks who are willing to spend a lot of $$. I was also able to ride a Spyder today for about thirty minutes on the freeway. This was a great test because it was a rare rainy day in So. Cal, and the Spyder was really stable in wet, windy conditions.

Now I will have to wait a few months . . .

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Way2Fast
    It doesn't matter how far from the factory the dealership is. All dealers pay the same for freight...as a matter of fact, freight is part of the dealer invoice price and isn't itemized separately on it. Dealers just pick a number and decide what THEY want to charge for the freight. As with BRP personal watercraft, some dealers won't even add on any freight charge because their is enough profit built into the difference between their invoice price and the selling price. This, plus the holdback dealers receive from the factory (usually 3% of the MSRP on all units sold)amounts to a good profit.

Richard
    I'm not sure where you get your information but I work for a Powersports dealership. We sell Yamaha, Polaris and BRP products and BRP is one of the manufacturer that breaks out freight on ALL of their vehicle invoices as a seperate charge. Other manufacters don't but we have that information on our dealer price sheets from the manufacturer so we know exactly what we pay in freight charges on every vehicle we receive into the dealership. I don't know how other dealerships work but at ours we charge customers what we pay for freight plus a small markup to pay the setup guy to build the unit, he doesn't work for free. Contrary to popular belief, we actually make nothing on the freight/setup charge.

It's amazing how much misinformation is out there about how dealers set their pricing. Just trying to set the record straight.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

"I don't know how other dealerships work but at ours we charge customers what we pay for freight plus a small markup to pay the setup guy to build the unit, he doesn't work for free. Contrary to popular belief, we actually make nothing on the freight/setup charge."

Well, it sounds like you are working for a reputable dealership. I don't doubt your information; however, here on the west coast salespeople are finding "creative" ways to mark up the price. Since the msrp is listed online, and the other fees such as taxes, license, etc. are standard, the salespeople are not going to come right out and tell the buyer that they are marking up the Spyders because it is a new, hot vehicle. Instead, I was told (by 3 different dealers), something like this: "Well, these are unique vehicles that have to be shipped in individual crates, and there is a great deal of set-up once they arrive. That's why we are charging $1500 for freight and handling." So, they are using "freight/setup" as a way to jack up the price from $18,500-19,500.

Ahh, the price we pay to avoid winter in So. Cal . . .

Way2Fast

Quote Originally Posted by TBB
    I'm not sure where you get your information but I work for a Powersports dealership. We sell Yamaha, Polaris and BRP products and BRP is one of the manufacturer that breaks out freight on ALL of their vehicle invoices as a seperate charge. Other manufacters don't but we have that information on our dealer price sheets from the manufacturer so we know exactly what we pay in freight charges on every vehicle we receive into the dealership. I don't know how other dealerships work but at ours we charge customers what we pay for freight plus a small markup to pay the setup guy to build the unit, he doesn't work for free. Contrary to popular belief, we actually make nothing on the freight/setup charge.

It's amazing how much misinformation is out there about how dealers set their pricing. Just trying to set the record straight.
    If you want to set the record straight why don't you admit that the freight charged to the dealer is included as part of the bottom line figure on the dealers invoice statement. For example, if the dealers invoice on a 2008 RXP PWC is $10,119 (and the MSRP is $11,599) the freight charge is already part of the dealer invoice price. When a dealer sells a product for "x" amount of $ over his invoice that's the profit he should be making without having to add on more for the freight.

Richard
    HP Marine Ltd.

Spyder Garage

Right off my invoice; silver spyder 14999; document fees 35; Minnesota License 39; MN tax 997.43; total OTD price $16070.43; no extra shipping charges, no extra set-up charges.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gosurf
    "I don't know how other dealerships work but at ours we charge customers what we pay for freight plus a small markup to pay the setup guy to build the unit, he doesn't work for free. Contrary to popular belief, we actually make nothing on the freight/setup charge."

Well, it sounds like you are working for a reputable dealership. I don't doubt your information; however, here on the west coast salespeople are finding "creative" ways to mark up the price. Since the msrp is listed online, and the other fees such as taxes, license, etc. are standard, the salespeople are not going to come right out and tell the buyer that they are marking up the Spyders because it is a new, hot vehicle. Instead, I was told (by 3 different dealers), something like this: "Well, these are unique vehicles that have to be shipped in individual crates, and there is a great deal of set-up once they arrive. That's why we are charging $1500 for freight and handling." So, they are using "freight/setup" as a way to jack up the price from $18,500-19,500.

Ahh, the price we pay to avoid winter in So. Cal . . .
    Wow...yet another reason not to move to california! ;D ;D You guys are getting hosed. Sorry to hear that man.