Spyder Garage

Default Great Deal (?) on a used 2010 RT

I found this on Craig's List, from a dealer. $15.3K (out the door) for a 2010 RT (SM5, I think):

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant...181745496.html

I already have mine, so I hoped that one of us could take advantage of the deal (assuming it is really a deal, of course).

Spyder Garage

Miles? The price to me seems a little high for a RT standard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gln2 View Post
    I just found the ad - you know everything that I do.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by gln2 View Post

Let me know where you are seeing prices for RT's lower than that !!!!!!!! That is the lowest priced RT I have ever seen.
    Last edited by arntufun; 08-03-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

Be very careful of Craigslist.There is a lot of scams out there.If its to good to be true it isn't true,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ivorspyder View Post
    Be very careful of Craigslist.There is a lot of scams out there.If its to good to be true it isn't true,
    If you Google the phone number, you get a professional dealer, and the pictures are in a dealership. This just doesn't feel like a scam to me. If it were $4000, that would be different.

Spyder Garage

Default Too good to be true ?

I found a cycle that was showcased in front of a very nice house. E mailed and called and price was super low. Noticed then that plate was blacked out. Asked about that and was told he lost them. Since bike was in another stae I asked if I could have a friend stop by to check it out. Never heard back and ad was pulled .Found the same bike in a different ad ( same picture ) with higher price , for grins and giggles I called , turned out he bike was really his and that someone else had used the picture he posted. Can't just go by a picture but not saying this one isn't legit.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've seen some used Spyders on the various "motorcycles for sale" websites that use the same Spyder, same backyard patio, but different angles, and the ads are from 3 different states around the country. An RS, Black/Orange Alloy for one, the other one I recalled was a black RS. The ads for the blakc RS mentioned it was still used on Sundays until it's sold, so mileage would be different. That one had the same ad and picture, but different states mentioned where it is.

All the more reason to buy new, or at least used from a dealer, in my mind. Unless you know/trust the seller. But that's me.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Let me know where you are seeing prices for RT's lower than that !!!!!!!! That is the lowest priced RT I have ever seen.
    Hummm... Factory warranty gone. No extension of 3rd party warranty. Wonder if a Buds unit service history would be available.. Lots of questions.

Spyder Garage

Lowest price I've ever seen for a RT - even a base RT. Personally, having had both, I'd rather have a used RT than a new RS…..
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New To Forum

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    I found this on Craig's List, from a dealer. $15.3K (out the door) for a 2010 RT (SM5, I think):

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant...181745496.html

I already have mine, so I hoped that one of us could take advantage of the deal (assuming it is really a deal, of course).
    It was a real deal. I bought it.

I've been a lurker on this forum for awhile now, checking for advice on purchasing a used RT. New ones are unaffordable fo me and a couple of decent deals have gotten away from me over the last 2 years or so, but finally found one at a price I could handle.

It's is in nice shape, 6400 miles, basic package with a couple of decent CanAm and after-market updates including a heel-toe shifter, vanity mirror in the trunk, L.E.D. front fender tips and a SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner, passenger heated grips, fuel and temp gauge, and fog lights w/switch, not to mention the Can-Am 2010 Spyder RT Shop manual.

There are a couple of months left on the warranty.

I took a short test ride up in the NY Daks about 4 years ago and found it "interesting". I rode the new one home today, about 85 miles or so on the CA State Rt 14 from Lancaster to Ridgecrest. 70 mph was an experience slightly different from the 30 minute around the neighborhood ride I took way back when. Too many years on everything from Honda 90's to Triumph Bonnies to BMW's and big Kawas means I'll be in for an adjustment.

It was definitely a good price as far as I'm concerned right now. I recently lost a bad-faith-deal (on the part of the seller) of a 2012 RT with about 1K miles and sound package for about $7K more than this one. As far as I'm concerned, good things come to those who wait! Even if I were to add the radio and Sat receiver I would still be at least $5K to the plus.

Here in SoCal, finding a decent deal at 15% below book on an RT is impossible, especially with relatively low mileage.

I'll let you all know in a few weeks if I have a case of buyer's remorse.
    Last edited by jcusick; 08-05-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

Great price, and good luck with it. Are all the updates and maint. items performed on it?
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    Great price, and good luck with it. Are all the updates and maint. items performed on it?
    According to the previous owner's notes:

14 miles - Brake System recall
    5900 miles - Brake Pin recall

+ the usual oil and filter changes at 3K and 6K and spark plugs changed at 3K along with belt tension check.

The owner is running amsoil (a good thing in my opinion - it's what I run in the beemer and my car) and kindly included 4 additional qts with the Spyder.

Is there a specific place I can check on the web for recalls on this year and model?

JC

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The big recall to check on is the DPS recall. Go to a dealer and have them look up your VIN.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

jcusick and on your purchase

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks BigArm and SpyderAnn01. I'm looking forward to some serious cruising.

JC

Spyder Garage

and on the new ryde.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcusick View Post
    It was a real deal. I bought it.

I've been a lurker on this forum for awhile now, checking for advice on purchasing a used RT. New ones are unaffordable fo me and a couple of decent deals have gotten away from me over the last 2 years or so, but finally found one at a price I could handle.

It's is in nice shape, 6400 miles, basic package with a couple of decent CanAm and after-market updates including a heel-toe shifter, vanity mirror in the trunk, L.E.D. front fender tips and a SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner, passenger heated grips, fuel and temp gauge, and fog lights w/switch, not to mention the Can-Am 2010 Spyder RT Shop manual.

There are a couple of months left on the warranty.

I took a short test ride up in the NY Daks about 4 years ago and found it "interesting". I rode the new one home today, about 85 miles or so on the CA State Rt 14 from Lancaster to Ridgecrest. 70 mph was an experience slightly different from the 30 minute around the neighborhood ride I took way back when. Too many years on everything from Honda 90's to Triumph Bonnies to BMW's and big Kawas means I'll be in for an adjustment.

It was definitely a good price as far as I'm concerned right now. I recently lost a bad-faith-deal (on the part of the seller) of a 2012 RT with about 1K miles and sound package for about $7K more than this one. As far as I'm concerned, good things come to those who wait! Even if I were to add the radio and Sat receiver I would still be at least $5K to the plus.

Here in SoCal, finding a decent deal at 15% below book on an RT is impossible, especially with relatively low mileage.

I'll let you all know in a few weeks if I have a case of buyer's remorse.
    I'm really glad to hear it worked out for you. It seems that the Spyder was even better than advertised. Personally, I wouldn't invest in the sound package; you can't hear much with a helmet when you're on the road, and it sounds pretty bad when the motor is loud. I love my helmet speakers (which connect via bluetooth to my iPhone).

If you're in LA, let me know and we'll ride together.

Mark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcusick View Post
    According to the previous owner's notes:

14 miles - Brake System recall
    5900 miles - Brake Pin recall

+ the usual oil and filter changes at 3K and 6K and spark plugs changed at 3K along with belt tension check.

The owner is running amsoil (a good thing in my opinion - it's what I run in the beemer and my car) and kindly included 4 additional qts with the Spyder.

Is there a specific place I can check on the web for recalls on this year and model?

JC

From 2010 to 2011 models they made significant changes to the suspension and I think the motor mounts. I *believe* they offered some of these updates to 2010 owners to fix the 'bouncing around' on the highway problems. Maybe someone who has a 2010 can chime in.

I would for sure put some Elka shocks on it right away... and check into extending your warranty.......which you should be able to do.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So now the Party can begin!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default good for you j c

i got a similiar good deal when i bought mine. if it were me, i would extend the warranty while you still can. mine was already out so i couldn't. good luck with it
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Default Great Deal (?) on a used 2010 RT

on your new bike. Extend the warranty. Cost a little extra, but worth it. Let the mods begin. Ride safe.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dick574 View Post
    on your new bike. Extend the warranty. Cost a little extra, but worth it. Let the mods begin. Ride safe.
    I called the orginal dealer today, I can still get the extended warranty (I have until November) but I was a little surprised at the cost, 3 years, a little over $900.00.

Is it worth it?

As far as the recommended shocks, I noticed three versions, Stage 1, Stage1 +R and Stage 5 (ouch on the $$ for this set). Which makes the most sense, cost-wise?

And finally, I'm thinking about adding the radio. How tough is it to put it in myself? The dealer will knock off about $100 on the cost but that's with installation for $180 (all + tax) Is it worth having him do it or is this easy enough for me to do. I do have some electronics tech experience.

Thanks to all for the Welcome.

JC