Spyder Garage

Default Communication systems

Okay guys, it seems many of you here on this board are true bikers from way back and even if you are not, you may be able to help me. Since we ordered two Spyders and want to tour together, my husband and I are looking into the various bike to bike communication systems. Can anyone tell me from experience, what is good, what works best, what has the best options, i.e. phone, music, GPS, walkie talkie etc. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Deb
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Communication systems

Quote Originally Posted by dltang
    Okay guys, it seems many of you here on this board are true bikers from way back and even if you are not, you may be able to help me. Since we ordered two Spyders and want to tour together, my husband and I are looking into the various bike to bike communication systems. Can anyone tell me from experience, what is good, what works best, what has the best options, i.e. phone, music, GPS, walkie talkie etc. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Deb
    These guys have some great products. http://www.jmcorp.com/ You just have to decide what you really want to do with them.

I have a iway600 GPS that has a MP3 player built into it and I also have a XM radio on my bike. I plan on mounting both of those on the Spyder too.

This may be what would work good for communication but as you know us men don't do that very well.
    http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=24

spyder18

Everyone that looking at the j&m Cb kit for spyder need call cycle accessory store here there phone number.
    1-828-524-4488 1-866-540-1680
    By the way here what it include and price.

JMCB2003-DU (1) Dual Unit 579.99
    JCB03-HBK* (1) Bracket
    LPCBA-* (1) Antenna
    HS-BCD257-UN (1) Headsets 92.00
    HC-PWY (1) Lower Cords 29.00

$693.97

Spyder Garage

I use the Starcom 1, from England. The BMW Owners' mag had a review, and it sounded good, so we bought it. A little more expensive against the falling dollar now, but still cheaper than Autocom. You can get a system that just lets you access your phone, mp3, etc., one to talk to your passenger, or a bike-to-bike system (requires added radios, like most). Excellent noise reduction, and a great voice-activated intercom. The headset mic and speakers work well, too, as long as your helmet has pockets for the ears. My wife and I love ours. http://www.starcom1.com/
    -Scotty
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

One thing to say after trying many Autocom, its worth the price.
    HAPPY OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydroe
    One thing to say after trying many Autocom, its worth the price.

Autocom is the #1 choice in my opinion. Clear communication at any speed.
    Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Spyder Garage

Have had to best luck with Autocom. Seen good mag reviews of Stracom. Bike to bike is usually the weak and/or expensive link. Waiting another year or two for Bluetooth systems to get better before I go that route. Right now my wife and I are still plugging and unplugging. webbikeworld.com has some good reviews of current systems. Good luck in finding a system that is right for your needs. :bigthumbsup:
    sabunim5
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

We have been using Chatterbox. There are probably pro/cons and I have nothing to compare them to. We have been experimenting with the set up and found that by placing a PPT strap on the grip, the unit can be stored anywhere within the length of the wiring. I place it in the tank bag, zip up the top. I don't need to "see" the communicator once it is set up (both set on the same channel). I just got to remember to turn it off when I stop for a while. It can be worked with Voice activation but we are having too much wind noise, etc. that is affecting (or effecting?) the microphone.
    Carol Smead
    2010 RTS Blue, gone but not forgotten
    Former owner of 2008 PE #1032 Yellow

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I haven't gone bike to bike yet, but will have that soon. We started with Chatterbox Rider to Passenger and then switched to Autocomm. Much better sound. I'll let you know how the Autocom setup goes. Bought the harness off of Ebay for the Spyder, just need to get the rest organized.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just bought the Scala Rider Q2 by Cardo Systems. What a great Bluetooth headset. Allows for Blue connection to GPS, Cell Phone and two other sets, one primary and one secondary and an FM Radio to boot! Has 1640 foot range. $169.95 from Revzilla.

Here are the links:

Info about the unit:

http://www.cardowireless.com/US/Q2

Revzilla Link to Purchase:

http://www.revzilla.com/product/scala-rider-q2-headset

Spyder Garage

Wish i could help but my wife said no way she want to talk to me when we ride :'( she likes to enjoy the scenery and not listen to me hope you find what you need . Ride safe and have fun
    BIGD Love to Ride

Spyder Garage

New to bikes, but what are the laws regarding headsets. I would like to listen to music in the helmet but I heard it is illgeal to ride with earbuds. Can you have headsets as long as it is not in the ear. I live in New York. thanks

Spyder Garage

Counting the days until I get my Silver Spyder.

I sell Chatterbox,J&M and the Nolan N-com. Give me a call 913-592-3493.I give all Spyder riders a 5% discount on my already low prices.

Bob
    PowerSports4Less