Spyder Garage

Default Rear fender Extension

Gidday from down under, went for a ride on wet roads (and no it wasn't raining) the other day and when I got home discovered one very dirty rear end on my RT. Just wondering if there is a rubber/plastic extension available that would extend the rear fender ( we call them mudguards in OZ ) which would hopefully prevent all the road grime, dirt etc. ending up on the back of my RT, as you can imagine I spent the next few hours giving her a royal clean. I know I can fashion one from a piece of rubber however if there is something already available I'm interested. I'm sure I'm not the only RT owner who has experienced this problem.

Regards
    John

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A couple of folks in here have addressed this issue. Lamont built one, and I think that Inspector Gadget did too.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

What actually needs to be addressed is the vaccum created behind the RT. Think about this, The more things disrupting the airflow around the rear, the more reverse reaction will occur. If you could create an extension from both sides of the side compartments and down to the bottom of the "Mugflap", then you would be headed in the right direction. Large RV Motorhomes have a skirt that covers the entire rear. 1st it protects the tag-along vehicle, 2nd it reduces the amount of air that immediately rises up the back of the cabin. I will be the 1st to admit, "That would be just "Butt-Ugly"

My resolution was to paint the black nasty suface and make it smooth so a quick rinse from the hose took it right off.Check it out, quick fix and cheap too!White out the black 013.jpg.
    Last edited by Schnauzer; 08-03-2012 at 07:26 AM. Reason: forgot something

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default rear fender extension

Quote Originally Posted by JRWW View Post
    Gidday from down under, went for a ride on wet roads (and no it wasn't raining) the other day and when I got home discovered one very dirty rear end on my RT. Just wondering if there is a rubber/plastic extension available that would extend the rear fender ( we call them mudguards in OZ ) which would hopefully prevent all the road grime, dirt etc. ending up on the back of my RT, as you can imagine I spent the next few hours giving her a royal clean. I know I can fashion one from a piece of rubber however if there is something already available I'm interested. I'm sure I'm not the only RT owner who has experienced this problem.

Regards
    John

I don't know if you have a tractor parts store in Austraila. Or something similar,or some place that sells trailers because they a fender the size you need to cover the rear tire. I never had a problem riding in the rain and getting the rear dirty. Good luck in you search.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arris View Post

I don't know if you have a tractor parts store in Austraila. Or something similar,or some place that sells trailers because they a fender the size you need to cover the rear tire. I never had a problem riding in the rain and getting the rear dirty. Good luck in you search.
    Cool idea, how did you mount the fender.. I have a custom 300 fat tire fender in the shop. Always thought it would make a wicked RS tire cover. I've got to get an RS..

Spyder Garage

I made this one from a anothe cheap mud flap they sell at auto parts store (about $11 for a pair) They are plain plastic so I just laid out the final size and cut it to size. It works great and stops the rooster tails that washes up over the trunk on wet roads.

IMG_3754.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    I made this one from a anothe cheap mud flap they sell at auto parts store (about $11 for a pair) They are plain plastic so I just laid out the final size and cut it to size. It works great and stops the rooster tails that washes up over the trunk on wet roads.

IMG_3754.jpg
    How did you fix it to the Spyder. I like the clean look no screws.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

If you look real hard you can see the little 2/56 dome headed allen screws, three are in the crease near the bottom but one is higher in the center. The center screws caused the flap to take on the slightly curved shape to match the upper fender. I put a tiny spot of black paint on the heads and they become invisiable.

This mud flap was broken when my wife and I lifted the trunk off to intall the cb so I made an new one and added some chrome trim along the bottom this time. It looks like factory option and took me about 20 mins to cut and install with the decal and the trim.

Spyder Garage

Looks very nice.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Truck mud flap secured with two bolts through the existing plastic fender skirt works for me. Mine extends down far enough to overlap with the mud flap on the trailer hitch. Easy and inexpensive mod that really helps keep the dirt off of the rear end of the RT. That being said, as already mentioned, the backdraft created by the rear end of the RT will still cause a certain amount of dirt to cling to the rear of the Spyder. With the mud flap there is just less.

Spyder Garage

Default vacuum...

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    What actually needs to be addressed is the vaccum created behind the RT. Think about this, The more things disrupting the airflow around the rear, the more reverse reaction will occur. .
    I agree. It seems like the higher I run the windscreen, the dirtier the back of the RT gets in rain... and more water hits the back of my helmet and neck. Even the exhaust gases tend to swirl forward with the widscreen in the higher positions.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sinkhole View Post
    Even the exhaust gases tend to swirl forward with the widscreen in the higher positions.
    I noticed when I made my 1st attempt to create my own exhaust, I had that problem. Since the second attemp has a small turndown at the tip, it appears to not be an issue. If you notice the stock exhaust has the tips turned down. I know of a few running aftermarket exhaust has also commented on fumes. The tips are looking right up at the profile line of the side compartments. And if I'm correct in saying, they are terminated under the compartment and not out behind.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your replies, just fitted a mudflap now need to see how it performs. Regards John

Spyder Garage

Pictures please of your new mudflap

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Well I've been for a 200 k ride through water running across the road and got home and basically the rear was fairly clean. See pics of mudflapImageUploadedByTapatalk1344408792.554675.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1344408828.060059.jpg