Thread: SE5 Shift Noise

Spyder Garage

Default SE5 Shift Noise

The other day I noticed when leaving for a ride that each time I up shifted I could hear a slight muted bell like sound. A little ching for each gear change. It seems to go away when the bike is ridden for a while. I never noticed it before as I use different style helmets and earphone from time to time and may have just missed it. Anyone else with the SE5 notice this sound? The bike seems to be running and shifting fine, and I would like to keep it that way

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Certainly have not heard that with my RTS-SE5. That's a new one to me; but cannot be good.

I assume you have checked the basics... like fluids? And you are shifting at high enough RPM's?

Otherwise... I am all ears on this one, and will be interested in what the "smarter-ones" on this site have to say.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cearley View Post
    The other day I noticed when leaving for a ride that each time I up shifted I could hear a slight muted bell like sound. A little ching for each gear change. It seems to go away when the bike is ridden for a while. I never noticed it before as I use different style helmets and earphone from time to time and may have just missed it. Anyone else with the SE5 notice this sound? The bike seems to be running and shifting fine, and I would like to keep it that way
    What RPM's are you shifting at?

Spyder Garage

I have not heard that sound on mine .I would have the dealer check it out.

Spyder Garage

You are letting it warm up for 3 or 4 minutes before riding off correct?
    2014 RTL-SE6 Cognac (Current Love)
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium Metallic (Pre Loved)

Spyder Garage

Default Shift Noise

If you have the audio package, it may be the shift solenoid noise coming through your speakers. BRP have admitted to me that there is a problem with the audio system and the non filtering of all the electrical noise emitted by the shift solenoids. They state that this noise can be heard without headsets. I only use the headsets so it is exacerbated by being right in your ears. BRP have put out a dealer notice on the dealer forum which states they have known about this problem since 2009 when first fitting the system to the RT SE5 models. They have advised that they are trying to sort this issue. Not sure why it is taking so long to sort something like this out. The manufacturer of the system in Kentucky state that they are unaware of this problem so BRP are dragging the chain on this.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have a Gremlin Bell that you're hearing??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I make it a point to shift above 3k in 1st and 4 to 5 k in the rest of the gears. From my house to the back gate out of my community is about 1/4 of a mile and by then the temperature gage is just starting to show a bar or two. I will have to pay closer attention to see if the noise is still occurring after warm up. Usually by the time the temp is up I am moving at a good clip and wind noise could be masking it. Also riding in my club with loud V twins along doesn't help my hearing any. Right now the bike has about 3,350 miles and aside from the sometimes squealing brakes I am happy with the way it runs. I had the bike in for the 600 mile check up then at 2000 miles I did my own oil change, added the new tranny filter kit and upgraded filters, added 4.5 Qts of Royal Purple max cycle 10-40. I keep checking the oil, and the level is staying just about where it was at the start. Yesterday I went to my dealer and picked up the new lower side panel and grill. Now that it's on the bike I will have to see how much time it actually saves doing an oil change. I'm not sure it is much help for the SE5 because the tranny filter is up higher than the oil filter and I may still need to remove the upper panels to get access.