Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Mike- so sorry that I made a bad assumption. I improperly read your post. You were only commenting that the author of that article said that AH was the most important factor. My intention was to agree.... and disagree with the author.

He said-"Selecting a Battery - When buying a new battery I suggest you purchase a battery with the greatest reserve capacity or amp hour rating possible. Of course the physical size, cable hook up, and terminal type must be a consideration. You may want to consider a Gel Cell or an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) rather than a Wet Cell if the application is in a harsher environment or the battery is not going to receive regular maintenance and charging. "

I think that AH rating is important, but a buyer needs to look at the entire package.

Now... Alternator. You are right again. Scotty would have not used that word. I am wrong. As I think back, I'm not sure he even said the word magnito. I think he simply advised that the battery would not charge unless the RPM was above 3000. The alternator word is mine. Old habit. DC generators went away a long time ago due to the brushes that needed to be maintained and caused a lot of electrical noise due to the sparking. Yes, I realize there are DC generators still around. The Spyder uses a magnito that generates alternating electricity that is then rectified into DC to charge the battery....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1344915991.759058.jpg

So... My apologies for not being accurate Mike. Phil, I singled out a/h because that's the only real difference between the two batteries under discussion that I can find, and according to Mr. Rattigan and his expert ALTERNATORS and MAGNETOS are the same as we will soon find out when BRP gets their act together and starts calling their MAGNETOS what Roger says should be ALTERNATORS.......
Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad3.5 using Tapatalk HD
Mike.......