Back in April my Spyder completely went nuclear. Now I am not a mechanic, but I like to think myself a pretty logical person. Best the dealer can tell is the clutch suffered catastrophic failure when the clutch plates broke apart into several pieces. Clutch material reportedly went through the screen and took out the oil pump, engine lost pressure and multiple components exploded. Internals were a mess and I have been struggling with BRP to get it fixed ever since. The dealer said the clutch plates show no signs of abuse or being worn out. There was no evidence of heat damage or blueing either. Ok, so this is pretty foreign to me, but it sounds like not something that was my fault. Dealer admits they believe this to be a faulty or production related issue with the clutch. They had seen this before and also on several automatics. Guessing automatics have less clutch issues.

Its been over 4 months now, prime riding season and I am still fighting with BRP. After getting the run around by BRP customer service and a little bit of yelling some progress was made. Initially they wee inclined to not cover any of it, as they said it was caused by the clutch. Clutch is a wear item and is not covered under B.E.S.T. warranty. Too bad, so sad Mr. Customer. The end price tag was somewhere in the range of $8-9k out of my pocket for a new engine and clutch. I promptly lost my mind and continued to raise hell with the dealer and it soon became clear BRP was the culprit. A gentleman was apparently slow walking this and appeared he was just trying to deny the warranty claim and was putting the dealer in a bad spot. Dealer has since worked it through another warranty claims person and things are moving forward.

I still have several issues -

- CLutch explodes at 13k miles? What is that all about?
- Even though my engine went through a catastrophic failure they are piece parting my baby back together. Dealer is saying they used to provide crate engines, but the last few have been rebuilt. Oh, I dont feel comfortable my engine is going to last long having blown apart once now.
- BRP is still sticking me with replacement of the clutch plates and clutch basket, whatever that is.
- I may get it back this month or I may not, apparently a lot of the piece parts are on back order. On the 18th of august it will be 5 months.
- My B.E.S.T. warranty expires with no options to renew in Jan time frame. I guess if the clutch decides to explode again I am just expected to fork over $8k to have it replaced again. Thats not going to happen.
- Lastly, i have just an overwhelming disappointment in BRP and though i have enjoyed my Spyder even after numerous power steering replacements and an estimated 9 months in the shop total for failed components, i am seriously thinking of giving up on this product and cutting my losses.

Im wondering if anyone else has had this exploding clutch issue and or issues with B.E.S.T. warranty coverage? This seems really shady and not the way to do business.