Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Vibration continues

They get PMS

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

PMS = pretty much smaller, thought i might clarify that

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Rt vibration

Quote Originally Posted by A1A View Post
    Thanks spyder stryder, sounds like you had belt vibration at just about every engine rpm?
    A1A
    new update on the vibration, this has been from the start when new.
    It would start around 52-53 mph & as the speed increased so did the
    vives. At 70 -72 you could feel the belt as if it wanted to come apart.
    Also i know of another new one that has the belt against the outer side
    of the pulley that vibrates as well. When the guy pushed the lineup bar
    through the holes it hit solid on the right side. When looking into this
    you would only see half on the 3/4 " bar. That is a lot of misalinement.
    Also there is a radius rod on the front of the engine that you will need
    to disconect one end so you can do the ainement then readjust it so
    as to bolt it back on. Makes you wonder how many 2012 RTs have been
    sent out this way.

spyder stryder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder stryder View Post
    A1A
    new update on the vibration, this has been from the start when new.
    It would start around 52-53 mph & as the speed increased so did the
    vives. At 70 -72 you could feel the belt as if it wanted to come apart.
    Also i know of another new one that has the belt against the outer side
    of the pulley that vibrates as well. When the guy pushed the lineup bar
    through the holes it hit solid on the right side. When looking into this
    you would only see half on the 3/4 " bar. That is a lot of misalinement.
    Also there is a radius rod on the front of the engine that you will need
    to disconect one end so you can do the ainement then readjust it so
    as to bolt it back on. Makes you wonder how many 2012 RTs have been
    sent out this way.

spyder stryder
    It's not bad enough a guy has a problem and isn't getting the help he needs to resolve it. But, to have to read dissertations from others exclaiming how they don't have the problem, and without knowing you or your background, or, level of experience. They drone on and on about how you should have experienced this or that from this or that. As if, that, would make your problem magically go away. Ugh! Thinking about it. If protecting and defending fixed things......none of us would have a problem.

Hope all who are having this problem get it resolved soon and to their satisfaction.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    It's not bad enough a guy has a problem and isn't getting the help he needs to resolve it. But, to have to read dissertations from others exclaiming how they don't have the problem, and without knowing you or your background, or, level of experience. They drone on and on about how you should have experienced this or that from this or that. As if, that, would make your problem magically go away. Ugh! Thinking about it. If protecting and defending fixed things......none of us would have a problem.

Hope all who are having this problem get it resolved soon and to their satisfaction.
    Very well stated

Spyder Garage

Default I've got it too

I've had the Spyder for about three weeks now...love it, but I have the dreaded vibration.
    The vibration starts at about 5200 RPM's in any gear and continues until about 5800 RPM's. Pretty annoying, I've been riding for 50 years and this is the most costly motor cycle like machine that I've owned, and the problems started immediately.

The gentle people that are commenting about not having experienced this situation consider yourselves fortunate. My issue started on the ride home from the dealer, and I have noticed alot of rubber dust on the rear wheel and swing arm, along with the smell of burning rubber.

I have duscussed this problem with my dealer after the first 100 miles of operation and he has promised to make it right at the 600 mile service.

Wish me luck!

Spyder Garage

Default Rt vibration

Quote Originally Posted by Plyrod38 View Post
    I've had the Spyder for about three weeks now...love it, but I have the dreaded vibration.
    The vibration starts at about 5200 RPM's in any gear and continues until about 5800 RPM's. Pretty annoying, I've been riding for 50 years and this is the most costly motor cycle like machine that I've owned, and the problems started immediately.

The gentle people that are commenting about not having experienced this situation consider yourselves fortunate. My issue started on the ride home from the dealer, and I have noticed alot of rubber dust on the rear wheel and swing arm, along with the smell of burning rubber.

I have duscussed this problem with my dealer after the first 100 miles of operation and he has promised to make it right at the 600 mile service.

Wish me luck!
    We must have twin spyders,sounds just like mine. Just for the heck of it shine
    a flashlight from the rear of the belt toward the front sproket & see if the belt
    is over against the outer flang. You will see how the flange rolls out as it goes
    up & if the belt is over hard aginst it the belt will try to climb the drive sprocket.
    Also check the outer edge of the belt to see if it looks as if its being worn down.
    Ask your dealer if he has a line up tool & if not he will need to have one made.
    This will be a 3/4" solid round bar 16" long with a 4 3/4" long tee handle welded
    on it.When he inserts it through the line up holes and follow the instructions on
    doing the line up he will then find out why the tee handle has to be on there.
    Good luck, i'am sure everything will be ok.

spyder stryder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Strong Belt Vibrations on brand new 2012 RT-S SE5

2012 RTS SE5 3510 miles...

I've been very happy with the Spyder so far... except... except... except...

I get very consistent, strong and uncomfortable belt vibrations at the 5100-5200 rpm range in 4th and 5th gear (right in the middle of my favorite cruising speeds). The slight difference in when the vibration shows up is due to whether I'm still accelerating, just cruising or decelerating. Vibrations are also present in 3rd gear but get harder and harder to differentiate from normal engine vibration as the gears go down.

IMHO, an badly vibrating belt is NOT normal and is not something to ignore. It is not "engine vibration". I've been riding bikes of all models and sizes all my life and can tell you... this is BELT. For those of you that have ever had a "U-Joint" go bad... it is a similar feel. Any time a belt vibrates this much... at this high an RPM... is going to do damage one way or the other... sooner or later.

I plan to take my Spyder in ASAP for a specific vibrating belt Warranty Claim. Not a check up... just fix the belt! We'll see what happens here (North Texas). I'm hoping for the best...

I've read what many of you have written about your vibration problems, what various dealers have told you, what Can-Am said, etc. and it has been helpful. I will post any progress I make. If the dealer can't fix it... I will not give up. It is not safe to have a bike with this kind of flaw.

One suggestion I can make FWIW... is for owners that still have this problem... Write a complaint letter with your own vibration details, and a demand that it be fixed... and mail it Certified-Return Receipt Requested to Can-Am. It will be important to document this problem until it is finally recognized by the manufacturer... and fixed. Manufacturers do get nervous when their mail box gets full of well-documented claims. If one rider gets injured as a result of this belt problem... Can-Am will have been forewarned in spades.

(off the soap box now)

TexGEOas
    Argyle, TX

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TexGEOas View Post
    2012 RTS SE5 3510 miles...

I've been very happy with the Spyder so far... except... except... except...

I get very consistent, strong and uncomfortable belt vibrations at the 5100-5200 rpm range in 4th and 5th gear (right in the middle of my favorite cruising speeds). The slight difference in when the vibration shows up is due to whether I'm still accelerating, just cruising or decelerating. Vibrations are also present in 3rd gear but get harder and harder to differentiate from normal engine vibration as the gears go down.

IMHO, an badly vibrating belt is NOT normal and is not something to ignore. It is not "engine vibration". I've been riding bikes of all models and sizes all my life and can tell you... this is BELT. For those of you that have ever had a "U-Joint" go bad... it is a similar feel. Any time a belt vibrates this much... at this high an RPM... is going to do damage one way or the other... sooner or later.

I plan to take my Spyder in ASAP for a specific vibrating belt Warranty Claim. Not a check up... just fix the belt! We'll see what happens here (North Texas). I'm hoping for the best...

I've read what many of you have written about your vibration problems, what various dealers have told you, what Can-Am said, etc. and it has been helpful. I will post any progress I make. If the dealer can't fix it... I will not give up. It is not safe to have a bike with this kind of flaw.

One suggestion I can make FWIW... is for owners that still have this problem... Write a complaint letter with your own vibration details, and a demand that it be fixed... and mail it Certified-Return Receipt Requested to Can-Am. It will be important to document this problem until it is finally recognized by the manufacturer... and fixed. Manufacturers do get nervous when their mail box gets full of well-documented claims. If one rider gets injured as a result of this belt problem... Can-Am will have been forewarned in spades.

(off the soap box now)

TexGEOas
    Argyle, TX
    I wish you luck getting BRP to respond, I have been waiting a month after the local BRP Rep stated they would be in contact. You need to have your dealer show you the video that BRP has produced for it's dealers showing the belt vibrating wildly, and BRP telling them this is normal. Then add other owners saying it is normal to have a bike that vibrates and what you then get, is a company (BRP) that does not care about those that are having issues.

It is to bad that BRP has taken this approach (lack of customer support) for they designed a very unique bike and I have enjoyed riding it (minus the vibration and other problems). Without a better customer service, this bike will never develop the support it deserves. On Tuesday I plan on meeting with my dealer and start looking into ordering a 2013 GW/CSC Trike for next season. Maybe someday when BRP gets their customer service department together I will try another Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Vibration Issue

I too have a vibration issue on my 2012 RT Limited. Mine occurs when accelerating between about 68-69 MPH through about 72-74 MPH. If I back off the throttle a tad the vibration goes away. Not sure this is that unusual as I expect some harmonic vibration might be "normal" considering the length of the belt. BTW, I'm usually in 5th gear when this happens. It doesn't concern me much since I can just back off the throttle and the settles down. I will be close to the 5000 mile mark after returning from the BBQ and will mention this to my mx tech when I take it in for it' s checkup. Thoughts?
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    I too have a vibration issue on my 2012 RT Limited. Mine occurs when accelerating between about 68-69 MPH through about 72-74 MPH. If I back off the throttle a tad the vibration goes away. Not sure this is that unusual as I expect some harmonic vibration might be "normal" considering the length of the belt. BTW, I'm usually in 5th gear when this happens. It doesn't concern me much since I can just back off the throttle and the settles down. I will be close to the 5000 mile mark after returning from the BBQ and will mention this to my mx tech when I take it in for it' s checkup. Thoughts?
    My experience has been that vibration that increases under load is usually either a motor isolation issue or is related to an imbalance between cylinders. If the vibration is rpm related rather than speed related, that is even more likely. It could be a (belt?) harmonics issue, but those usually seem to be about as bad at steady throttle. They may either improve or increase when backing off, depending on the physics of the specific problem. These are not hard and fast rules, just what I have seen...even in shaft and chain drive bikes.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy

[QUOTE=phj;509221]I wish you luck getting BRP to respond, I have been waiting a month after the local BRP Rep stated they would be in contact. You need to have your dealer show you the video that BRP has produced for it's dealers showing the belt vibrating wildly, and BRP telling them this is normal.

I have already described the Belt Problem to two friends who were going to by a Spyder. One is waiting to see what happens with my Spyder... the other friend decided to trike his Harley instead. I was looking on BRP's website in hopes of getting more information...THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE A SUPPORT PAGE! Everything is referred back to a dealer. But what if the dealer is a neophyte or doesn't know what he's doing? Frustrating...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You are correct... the vibration can be managed by letting off the throttle or accelerating through it. One problem for me is... the worst of the vibrations happen at the best highway speeds. And... it is hard to keep pace with other riders in the group when they have settled in at a MPH that is in the Vibration range!

BTW, the MPH you describe as your Vibration range is just about 5100-5300 RPM. Same as most.

Good luck. I hope the vibrations don't cause the sprocket bolts to back out!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default TexGOSas

I get the vibration while accelerating through the MPH range mentioned. I can maintain the speed, say 72MPH, once there without the vibration. I'm going to experiment on the ryde to Lamont's and see if I can narrow down the MPH and RPM when the vibration starts and stops.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

Try staying in 4th until 70+ and see how that feels.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Today on the way to greeneville tn on I81 I experimented with the vibration issue I described earlier. Firefly, downshifting to 4th gear helps. For example I was in 5th gear with the cruise control set and was going between 73-75MPH, started up a slight hill and the Spyder starting vibrating as the cruise tried to maintain the speed while going up the slight hill. I downshifted to 4th gear and I was able to maintain my speed and actually accelerate while going up the hill with no vibration. However whenever I'm going around 70MPH in 5th gear and accelerate or the cruise tries to maintain speed while going up a hill I get some serious vibration. This doesn't happen when I'm traveling at slower speeds i.e., say 65MPH. When I get back home from this Tn trip I'll be ready for the 5000 mile service and will describe the vibration details to my dealer. It's a PITA having to deal with this by either downshifting or slowing down or...? Is getting tiresome to say the least. Maybe some wrench guru at the tech day tomorrow can check my belt tension and alignment for me...would appreciate it!

Spyder Garage

Your situation sure sounds more like an engine related issue, like cylinder imbalance, to me. That can shake your eye teeth out under load. I would imagine the effects could be maginied by the harmonics of a long belt, tight motor mounts, or similar factors, too. Unfortunately, the throttle body is factory balanced, and cannot be "tuned". So the most common cause cannot be addressed. There could be other factors, like valve leakage, different valve clearances, ignition difficulties, and so on. The effects of cylinder imbalance are subtle, but very noticeable under certain circumstances. It will be difficult for the average tech to find that sort of thing and work it out...especially since the Spyder fuel injection can't be dealer tuned. I wish you the best.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

So has engine realignment solved the vibration problem long term? How long has it been tested? I just want to know before going to my dealer asking them to check that.
    Thanks
    Joe

Spyder Garage

Default Phone Call

I just received a phone call from BRP Customer Service regarding the belt vibrations and other issues on my 2012 Spyder. They have made arrangements with my dealer to provide me with a loaner for a few days while they address the vibrations and other outstanding issues. My dealer had mentioned to them that I was getting ready to trade it in for another brand and the BRP Rep ask for one more chance to solve the outstanding issues before I do something like that.

I really do hope they can solve whats going on for I like riding this bike. I want to thank my dealer for pursuing this with BRP and to also thank BRP for finally agreeing to address issues I'm having with this bike.
    Last edited by phj; 09-06-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by phj View Post
    I wish you luck getting BRP to respond, I have been waiting a month after the local BRP Rep stated they would be in contact. You need to have your dealer show you the video that BRP has produced for it's dealers showing the belt vibrating wildly, and BRP telling them this is normal. Then add other owners saying it is normal to have a bike that vibrates and what you then get, is a company (BRP) that does not care about those that are having issues.

It is to bad that BRP has taken this approach (lack of customer support) for they designed a very unique bike and I have enjoyed riding it (minus the vibration and other problems). Without a better customer service, this bike will never develop the support it deserves. On Tuesday I plan on meeting with my dealer and start looking into ordering a 2013 GW/CSC Trike for next season. Maybe someday when BRP gets their customer service department together I will try another Spyder.
    I just received a phone call from BRP Customer Service regarding the belt vibrations and other issues on my 2012 Spyder. They have made arrangements with my dealer to provide me with a loaner for a few days while they address the vibrations and other outstanding issues. My dealer had mentioned to them that I was getting ready to trade it in for another brand and the BRP Rep ask for one more chance to solve the outstanding issues before I do something like that.

I really do hope they can solve whats going on for I like riding this bike. I want to thank my dealer for pursuing this with BRP and to also thank BRP for finally agreeing to address issues I'm having with this bike.

Glad to hear help is on it's way!

That said, it bothers me to no end that it has taken your area rep, your dealer, your saying you were bailing, and over a month in time, before BRP said they hear you.

We're all on the same continent. Aren't we?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

What other issues do you have besides the Drive Belt Flopping Vibration problem? I do hope you finally getting positive resolution with the Drive Belt.
    2014 RTL-SE6 Cognac (Current Love)
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium Metallic (Pre Loved)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by A1A View Post
    What other issues do you have besides the Drive Belt Flopping Vibration problem? I do hope you finally getting positive resolution with the Drive Belt.
    Dropped my RT off this morning as BRP requested to look into the vibration, CB Radio and Blue Tooth issues and was given a loaner to use until my bike is repaired. The loaner is a 2010 RT with 7000 miles and what a difference, ran it through all my vibration speeds that I have on my bike and nothing on this loaner, what difference compared to mine. That 58 - 65 mph range, smooth as silk. Now, just hoping they can find what's causing mine to shake the mirrors off!!

Spyder Garage

The loaner is a 2010 RT with 7000 miles and what a difference, ran it through all my vibration speeds that I have on my bike and nothing on this loaner, what difference compared to mine. That 58 - 65 mph range, smooth as silk.
    Well this is sorta good news! To all those who said "I don't have that problem" seems like you may have been correct? To all those who said "I have that problem" seems like you may have been correct?

Now it can't be that difficult to see what is causing one bike to do it and what is not causing another bike to do it? Can it Best of luck and I know you will, but let us know all the sorted details?
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Default vibration

I was afraid to say mine had a vibrationat 73 mph, someone would say it didn't

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ma and pa View Post
    I was afraid to say mine had a vibrationat 73 mph, someone would say it didn't
    2011 RTS SM5