Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by saint999 View Post
    Its the belt tension and we either complain as a whole so they come up with a tensioner recall or pay out of pocket for one. Definitely seems to be the answer because of belt vibration in between 5000-6000 RPM.
    Some of these issues really hurt my impressions of BRP especially coming from a Gold Wing.
    We can't really complain as a whole when it's not happening to us as a whole. So far out of the thousands of RT's out here, there are only a handful of people complaining about vibrations.

Only way to know what's going on for sure is to swap Spyders with another member-- take a spin and see either of you notice a big difference.....that would be a good starting point.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Its the belt tension and we either complain as a whole so they come up with a tensioner recall or pay out of pocket for one. Definitely seems to be the answer because of belt vibration in between 5000-6000 RPM.
    Some of these issues really hurt my impressions of BRP especially coming from a Gold Wing.
    BRP all ready knows about this problem, they are just hoping we except this as normal and we all go away. Even though I have spent a lot of time and money on this problem and at times I believe I may be near to solving the problem on this bike, I have my doubts if it will ever completely go away, it's just a bad design/belt. There is something screwy about some of the 2012 bikes, I am willing to give some more effort, time and money, but not much!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    We can't really complain as a whole when it's not happening to us as a whole. So far out of the thousands of RT's out here, there are only a handful of people complaining about vibrations.

Only way to know what's going on for sure is to swap Spyders with another member-- take a spin and see either of you notice a big difference.....that would be a good starting point.
    Another option is to compare to a demo at your dealer. You could also have another owner ride your Spyder and see if they notice the "problem". Don't choose me, though, After years of Triumphs, BSA singles, Harleys, Indians, Cushmans, and BMW boxers, I would be shocked if a motorcycle didn't vibrate at all.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

with Scotty!!!!
    2014 Spyder RTS SE6 in pearl white - The "Pearl II" Corbin Seat and Backrest, Diamond R Passenger Arm Rests, Baker Air Wings

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This is a topic that needs more study and input. There is no reason that so many folks have different experiences both with RT vibration and heat. The problem is that there are way too many variables for an easy analysis. BRP needs to look into this, first by a survey of the RT customer base not just Spyderlovers Forum members. Then based on the size of the issues determine the causes. Dealer Setup? New to Spyders riders? Differences in product ? Etc.

I have been riding An 09 RS for the last three years and now have a 2012 RT-S. With no heat or vibration issues. It runs smoother, cooler and quieter than my RS, why? Why should some folks have a great ride and others are just miserable? No matter the reason this needs to be addressed by BRP. My personal belief is that this may be a Dealer setup or a final factory setup issue. The dealer that I use has an exceptional tech who took a full day of checking and setting up my new RT. He even insisted that I pick it up the next day to allow for a full battery charge. He then took it on a test ride, was not satisfied and did some adjustments to the belt and then after a second test ride turned the RT over to me. I hope that this is the attention to detail that BRP expects from their techs at all dealers, but I think that this may be the exception rather than the rule.

I am not saying all this to brag or show off but to let new riders have some idea of what is possible with a good dealer and how it may pay off in a solid enjoyable ride.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RT Ltd and have a small amount of vibration from time to time but i can usualy just adjust my speed and correct the vibration.

Joe

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    This is a topic that needs more study and input. There is no reason that so many folks have different experiences both with RT vibration and heat. The problem is that there are way too many variables for an easy analysis. BRP needs to look into this, first by a survey of the RT customer base not just Spyderlovers Forum members. Then based on the size of the issues determine the causes. Dealer Setup? New to Spyders riders? Differences in product ? Etc.

I have been riding An 09 RS for the last three years and now have a 2012 RT-S. With no heat or vibration issues. It runs smoother, cooler and quieter than my RS, why? Why should some folks have a great ride and others are just miserable? No matter the reason this needs to be addressed by BRP. My personal belief is that this may be a Dealer setup or a final factory setup issue. The dealer that I use has an exceptional tech who took a full day of checking and setting up my new RT. He even insisted that I pick it up the next day to allow for a full battery charge. He then took it on a test ride, was not satisfied and did some adjustments to the belt and then after a second test ride turned the RT over to me. I hope that this is the attention to detail that BRP expects from their techs at all dealers, but I think that this may be the exception rather than the rule.

I am not saying all this to brag or show off but to let new riders have some idea of what is possible with a good dealer and how it may pay off in a solid enjoyable ride.

I have an excellent dealer too. If BRP were to ask them to verify whether or not my "hot foot" issues are real or not. I would be more than happy to cooperate. One caveat, my dealer would need to perform the test where I live. Not where they are located(2 hrs away in a completely different climate zone). Since I have no heat mods it would be a fair test and the results would either say I have a problem or I don't. Fair enough by me.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by phj View Post
    BRP all ready knows about this problem, they are just hoping we except this as normal and we all go away. Even though I have spent a lot of time and money on this problem and at times I believe I may be near to solving the problem on this bike, I have my doubts if it will ever completely go away, it's just a bad design/belt. There is something screwy about some of the 2012 bikes, I am willing to give some more effort, time and money, but not much!!
    Let's meet up sometime and swap Spyders for a few miles and see if mine is smoother than yours......

Spyder Garage

Obviously an RT will be smoother than an RS. It's a totally different machine. Different engine and motor mounts, etc.....

I think the main variable is rider perception. A rider that has never ridden motorcycles before may perceive typical v-twin vibrations as a machine problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Joe View Post
    I have a 2012 RT Ltd and have a small amount of vibration from time to time but i can usualy just adjust my speed and correct the vibration.

Joe

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD
    When you say a small amount, do you mean for like 300 to 400 rpm range? Or a small amount like a 1,000 rpm range?
    2014 RTL-SE6 Cognac (Current Love)
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium Metallic (Pre Loved)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Obviously an RT will be smoother than an RS. It's a totally different machine. Different engine and motor mounts, etc.....

I think the main variable is rider perception. A rider that has never ridden motorcycles before may perceive typical v-twin vibrations as a machine problem.
    Thats the 500 pound elephant in the room. Nobody wants to come out and say it so I will. Folks, and I say this with a great deal of love and respect for the newer Spyder Riders who never rode a motorcycle regularly, V Twin motorcycles vibrate a lot and they are hot even with water cooling. What's acceptable for us old crusty folks may be not what the new rider had in mind when he bought his machine. I can say that it will become more normal over time. As far as melting shoes etc, you may notice that BRP did not supply forward controls or footrests with their bikes. There may be a reason for this ya think?

Ok I'll take one for the gang, let the flames begin!

Spyder Garage

Thats the 500 pound elephant in the room. Nobody wants to come out and say it so I will. Folks, and I say this with a great deal of love and respect for the newer Spyder Riders who never rode a motorcycle regularly, V Twin motorcycles vibrate a lot and they are hot even with water cooling. What's acceptable for us old crusty folks may be not what the new rider had in mind when he bought his machine. I can say that it will become more normal over time. As far as melting shoes etc, you may notice that BRP did not supply forward controls or footrests with their bikes. There may be a reason for this ya think?

Spyder Garage

Ya think?

Spyder Garage

I have ridden a ton of machines and both of my RT's had vibration that none of the others had, including harley belt drives and my Vic Vision belt drive. On my first one the vibration occurred at about 6000 rpm through about 6300 rpm. It is a vibration that is so different than the v twin vibrations mentioned that I originally thought the bike was coming apart. I can feel it in the bars, foot pegs and see the mirrors vibrate. Had it checked at the dealer for the rod touching the frame, it was ok and the only thing left was belt. They adjusted it and it would be good for a few hundred miles or so and then return. On my second one (2012 Limited) I get the vibration between 4800 and about 5500 or so. Not as bad as the first (11 RTS) but still noticeable. When I was at the owners event in Durango I asked the techs in the tent about the vibrations and they said it is belt related and adjusting the speed/rpms will lessen the vibrations. His exact quote was "nature of the beast" with a french accent. He told me that most of the vibrations occur on the top of the belt. He mentioned that the oscillations in the belt could be quite pronounced from what they have seen causing the vibration. For what it is worth, this was a BRP tech in the tech tent.

I have learned to adjust my riding to the vibration when it occurs.

Willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Spyder Garage

I do believe what your are saying may have a lot of truth in it!

Spyder Garage

Angry OK more excuses and no knowledge of the problem

I have had motorcycles for the last 32 years from Indian, Harley to the most recent trade in a Gold Wing. This is not a VTwin vibration issue or a novice issue. Maybe I should say any ex Harley riders wouldn't notice cause of the vibrations they lived with all their life....Its condescending. This is a drive belt issue that has been known about for almost 4 years. Do a search on this forum to see how many ppl have had this issue. Vendors are making and manufacturing a Tensioner for the RT because of this issue(at $280 a pop). Its unacceptable for a bike that cost this much to be like this and the manufacture ignore it. I did take it to the dealer today about this issue and tension was fine based on static test. But there is a slippage at the 5100-550 RPM range that LOTS of RT riders are experiencing and BRP does nothing.

All you have to do is read the article on this site.
    http://www.smoothspyder.com/

So what do we do as a group about these issues? MOD our bikes so warranties are void or what?
    Frustrated...

Spyder Garage

I have had motorcycles for the last 32 years from Indian, Harley to the most recent trade in a Gold Wing. This is not a VTwin vibration issue or a novice issue. Maybe I should say any ex Harley riders wouldn't notice cause of the vibrations they lived with all their life....Its condescending. This is a drive belt issue that has been known about for almost 4 years. Do a search on this forum to see how many ppl have had this issue. Vendors are making and manufacturing a Tensioner for the RT because of this issue(at $280 a pop). Its unacceptable for a bike that cost this much to be like this and the manufacture ignore it. I did take it to the dealer today about this issue and tension was fine based on static test. But there is a slippage at the 5100-550 RPM range that LOTS of RT riders are experiencing and BRP does nothing.

So what do we do as a group about these issues? MOD our bikes so warranties are void or what?
    Frustrated...
    Understand your frustration and warranty concerns. While there is an outside chance the Smoothspyder could in some way come into question as it relates to a warranty issue, it's remote in my opinion. That said, in general I will not add to or alter my Spyder in any way that may put me on defense warranty wise.

The smoothspyder works, however it is not an end all to belt vibration in many cases. But, it is far better to have than not for those who are experiencing vibrations that can not be rectified by proper procedures performed by a reputable dealer.

It was a risk worth taking warranty wise in my opinion, and for sure I did the drive train of my Spyder a favor by installing it.

As far as getting people together on any issue. You'll have better luck herding cats.

Welcome aboard and hope this at least gives you something to bounce your thoughts off of.

Jer
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 08-10-2012 at 12:09 AM.

Spyder Garage

Frustrated...
    Can you explain what you mean by slippage? SM5 or SE5 ???
    Certainly you can't mean the belt is slipping.....

I'd really like to ride one of these with the 'vibration' problems to see what people are talking about. My GS had some vibrations..but nothing that ever felt like 'shaking the bike apart'. I added the belt tensioner and liked it... smoothed things out. On my new RT it's so smooth I don't feel the need for the tensioner.

If a $280 aftermarket part will fix your issue... I'd install one right away. If mine ends up with this vibration problem I'll gladly spend the $280 to fix it......

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I've got a 2010 RT A&C SE5 and am still trying to understand this vibration issue being discussed. The bike is a smoorth ride through all speeds and RPM range as far as I'm concerned. I may notice an extremely small amount of vibration in that 5100 - 5400 rpm range but cannot say that it is even noticeable all the time. I know the RT does not vibrate anywhere near my previous rides (all Yamaha and V-Star) so I see that as a bonus in itself. As pointed out by others on the thread, having a good dealer setup in the beginning and a trained, knowledgeable tech seems to keep most of the problems at bay that I have read about on the forum.

Diana

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a barely perceptible vibration that occurs at several RPM ranges regardless of the gear I am in. Compared to a Harley this is nothing (vibration wise) and really not a concern to me. I'm interested in following this thread though because so many people do have serious issues with this. I am very pleased with my dealer. The Spyder tech is great and very picky. When I got my RT-S back from the initial service I noticed the steering was tighter and the engine seemed to run smoother. On the paperwork they indicated they upgraded some software so maybe that changed the engine. But so far I have not worried about the slight vibration other than to wonder where it was coming from. I sure hope BRP gets this figured out and fixed for the people who do have serious problems with this.

2012 Spyder RT-S SE5

Corbin seat, Inspector Gadget cup holder, Original Grip Buddies
    2005 Honda VTX-1800R
    2002 Honda 750 Shadow ACE

Spyder Garage

Question Slippage is the best way

Can you explain what you mean by slippage? SM5 or SE5 ???
    Certainly you can't mean the belt is slipping.....

I'd really like to ride one of these with the 'vibration' problems to see what people are talking about. My GS had some vibrations..but nothing that ever felt like 'shaking the bike apart'. I added the belt tensioner and liked it... smoothed things out. On my new RT it's so smooth I don't feel the need for the tensioner.

If a $280 aftermarket part will fix your issue... I'd install one right away. If mine ends up with this vibration problem I'll gladly spend the $280 to fix it......
    Sliplage is the best way I can describe it because the tension doesn't remain consistent through out the RPM Range. Don't get me wrong I love riding the spyder for the ride it gives, I just feel based on my experiences with other bikes touring or not they could do a better job in manufacturing. I think all of them have the issue and my dealer and BRP pretty much backed that up, I just think it bothers some more then others. If you keep your RPMs high you don't feel it as much but let it lug at all on the highway I feel it in the range I stated earlier. Then there is the whole fuel issues with this bike. Just poor QC in my opinion and will probably drop a lot of money into fixing QC issues from the heat, front suspension, fuel etc..you shouldn't HAVE to do these mods on a brand new 28K bike.

Spyder Garage

Sliplage is the best way I can describe it because the tension doesn't remain consistent through out the RPM Range. Don't get me wrong I love riding the spyder for the ride it gives, I just feel based on my experiences with other bikes touring or not they could do a better job in manufacturing. I think all of them have the issue and my dealer and BRP pretty much backed that up, I just think it bothers some more then others. If you keep your RPMs high you don't feel it as much but let it lug at all on the highway I feel it in the range I stated earlier. Then there is the whole fuel issues with this bike. Just poor QC in my opinion and will probably drop a lot of money into fixing QC issues from the heat, front suspension, fuel etc..you shouldn't HAVE to do these mods on a brand new 28K bike.
    DITTO!! Exactly my thoughts, and the same gripe. BRP or any manufacturer should NOT put a product out for sale that is not fully production ready, or they should recall and fix the problem. The intermittant hard vibes from the belt drive is a real PITA, and takes the shine off of the product. Until BRP chooses to re-engineer the drive line, I will just have to live with it. 3600 miles since June 8th; 3 belt tension adjustments, 3 dealer services, and no improvement. Local dealer has bent over backwards to help with the situation and agrees with me, but BRP says it's normal?!!# I challenge BRP's senior Spyder engineer to get on a new factory RT, leave Quebec and run down to Florida on Interstate 95 at the normal 70-80 mph; look me in the face and tell me this is "NORMAL". Short jaunts, you might be fine, but for extended travel, at speeds of 70-80 (5000-6000 rpm in 5th) it will drive you crazy as it comes and goes. After 50 years of riding, no single cycle, sidecar setup, etc, has had this effect on me. BRP HELP!
    GUZZI :
    2020 RTL blue

Spyder Garage

Frustrated...
    I stop by another dealer today for a second opinion today, service manager was very friendly and showed me a lot of his correspondence regarding vibration from BRP as well. They too have had some 2012 bikes with the vibration concerns and have thus far been able to move the occurrence to a different rpm/speed but been unable to eliminate it. They also showed me a video that BRP makes available to only their dealers. This video shows the bike accelerating from a slow speed up through 70mph and all I can say is wow does this belt vibrate and it changes from almost being smooth at some speeds to vibrating so bad at times you can hardly see the belt, it is just a blur! The amazing part is BRP tells the dealer this normal....??

This dealer has seen the vibration at lower rpms all the way to very high speeds, they feel it just might be in the belt and how it's made and since maybe not all belts being the same, some bikes vibrate more than others. So, now to give it some thought about replacing the belt .

If you get the chance have your dealer show you this video!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by phj View Post
    I stop by another dealer today for a second opinion today, service manager was very friendly and showed me a lot of his correspondence regarding vibration from BRP as well. They too have had some 2012 bikes with the vibration concerns and have thus far been able to move the occurrence to a different rpm/speed but been unable to eliminate it. They also showed me a video that BRP makes available to only their dealers. This video shows the bike accelerating from a slow speed up through 70mph and all I can say is wow does this belt vibrate and it changes from almost being smooth at some speeds to vibrating so bad at times you can hardly see the belt, it is just a blur! The amazing part is BRP tells the dealer this normal....??

This dealer has seen the vibration at lower rpms all the way to very high speeds, they feel it just might be in the belt and how it's made and since maybe not all belts being the same, some bikes vibrate more than others. So, now to give it some thought about replacing the belt .

If you get the chance have your dealer show you this video!!!
    Yep, I also saw the video at my Dealer.
    2014 RTL-SE6 Cognac (Current Love)
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium Metallic (Pre Loved)

Spyder Garage

What fuel issues??

After the 2010 models, BRP redesigned the front suspension to make it better. I put 300 miles on a totally stock RT in Cuba and in handled great... but since I had Elka's on before and liked them... I did them again on my RT.

The 'heat issues' only occur when people are placing their feet where they don't belong. If you want to modify the Spyder to allow forward 'highway' foot positions, you'll need to modify it to vent the heat somewhere besides your right foot.