Hybrid View

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Vibration continues

Last time I was at my dealer, they set the belt tension to 615 Neutons and the belt tensioner to 12 lbs. Just got back from a ride to Hollister and the Corbin factory and the vibration is still there at 5400 rpms and again at 6200 rpms.

Riding on the 101 highway, the 1 highway and the 405 freeway and toll roads, the speeds were 75 mph to 85 mph if I wanted to stay with the flow of traffic. That being said, I was continually dancing in the Vibration Zone.

BRP is sticking to its guns stating the vibration is normal. I gave them a harsh reply and told them to come into reality. BRP did not respond to my second message. Customer service by the "Ostrich" method

My dealer understands but cannot violate BRP Policy even though they understand the problem. The dealer told me they could set the tension as I direct but, would have to record the adjustment at my request thus voiding the warrantee.
    Does anyone have any influence with BRP?

Ride Master

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Master View Post
    Last time I was at my dealer, they set the belt tension to 615 Neutons and the belt tensioner to 12 lbs. Just got back from a ride to Hollister and the Corbin factory and the vibration is still there at 5400 rpms and again at 6200 rpms.

Riding on the 101 highway, the 1 highway and the 405 freeway and toll roads, the speeds were 75 mph to 85 mph if I wanted to stay with the flow of traffic. That being said, I was continually dancing in the Vibration Zone.

BRP is sticking to its guns stating the vibration is normal. I gave them a harsh reply and told them to come into reality. BRP did not respond to my second message. Customer service by the "Ostrich" method

My dealer understands but cannot violate BRP Policy even though they understand the problem. The dealer told me they could set the tension as I direct but, would have to record the adjustment at my request thus voiding the warrantee.

Ride Master
    I've got to believe everyone riding the RT has the same belt vibration issues and at the same rpms. If everybody has the belt set to factory specifications. I know that I do and I try to get through the vibration zones as quickly as possible. There should be a pulley assembly mounted inside the very long drive belt. To allow tension on the inside upper and lower belt. Which in my opinion would drastically lower this long belt flapping around causing this vibration.
    Last edited by A1A; 07-31-2012 at 10:38 AM.
    2014 RTL-SE6 Cognac (Current Love)
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium Metallic (Pre Loved)

Spyder Garage

Is the vibration when increasing speed in 5 gear?
    If so shift to 4 gear to pass.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

RodMyers

Is that normal?

I'm having the same issue with my RT.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RodMyers View Post
    Is that normal?

I'm having the same issue with my RT.
    Brp says it is.

RodMyers

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Brp says it is.
    feels like it's shaking the bike loose

Spyder Garage

I get the belt flapping vibration in 3rd, 4th & 5th gears. I try to accelerate through it as quickly as possible shifting through the gears. I would like to cruise at 75 mph at times in 5th gear. But that is a bad vibration speed for me. My RT starts the belt vibration at 5300 rpm and doesn't stop until after 6200 rpm.
    Last edited by A1A; 08-03-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Master View Post

Ride Master
    We have gotten permission from BRP to go to a tighter belt and are getting very close to solving the vibration problem on this bike. I now have a very small band 62 to 65 mph that has a vibration. Just make your dealer call BRP! Next, the next time you are at your dealer feel the belt tension on a new bike and then go feel yours. The new one will be much tighter and I really do mean a lot tighter, that's the way they come from the factory.

Good Luck!!
    Last edited by phj; 08-03-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

It would be nice if BRP resolved this drive belt vibration issue once and for all with the Spyder RT. Then they could get the word out to all the Dealers for a correct fix. I have been riding my Spyder RT below 5,000 rpm and 70 mph. I'm trying to stay out of the severe drive belt flappin/flopping zone. I will not take my spyder out on the interstate. Because I would be riding right in the area of maximum belt flapping zone. Which is 75 to 85 mph and I don't want to take a chance of damaging the engine. Do to excessive belt flopping.
    Last edited by A1A; 08-10-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by A1A View Post
    It would be nice if BRP resolved this drive belt vibration issue once and for all with the Spyder RT. Then they could get all the Dealers on the same page for a proper fix. I ride my Spyder RT staying below 5,000 rpm and 70 mph. I would be afraid to take it out on the interstate. I don't want to take a chance of damaging the engine by going over 5,000 rpm and 70 mph by blending in with traffic flow.
    Will no hurt her, nothing for me to be at 60+ and drop to 3erd and run 9000 and as i am passing, skip 4th and go strait to 5th. feels like the front shocks stretches out as she rockets up front of the pack. They do not like low rpm's. let them sing

Now as for vibration. yes the belt can and will cause some but there is a bulletton out for another reason for vibration here some info on it.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ount-Clearance
    Last edited by Farmboy; 08-04-2012 at 08:25 AM.
    Hot Wheels loves to ROCK!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Will no hurt her, nothing for me to be at 60+ and drop to 3erd and run 9000 and as i am passing, skip 4th and go strait to 5th. feels like the front shocks stretches out as she rockets up front of the pack. They do not like low rpm's. let them sing

Now as for vibration. yes the belt can and will cause some but there is a bulletton out for another reason for vibration here some info on it.
    This bulletin is for 2011, mine is a 2012 and there is nothing for the 2012's and it seems many of those complaining have 2012's. By by tightening the belt we have now reduced the vibration to between 4400 to 4900 rpms, IT MAKES NO DIFFERNCE AS TO WHAT GREAR YOU ARE IN!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post

I have a 2012 RT SE5, I thought the motor mount shimming issues was fixed for the 2012's? My belt starts really flopping badly at 5300 rpm and doesn't quit this severe flopping until after 6200 rpm. I just can't stand feeling this belt flopping so badly. When I know this is a major issue and needs factory resolution.
    If I get a written garantee from BRP, stating they will fix for free an engine and or drive line problem caused by this floppy belt vibration. Then I'd ride my Spyder RT and ignore the severe drive belt flop.
    Thanks for your constructive feedback though.
    Last edited by A1A; 08-04-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

I'm beginning to wonder if this issue is being caused by the revised belts on the 2012s? Just thinking out loud here, but something has changed and that's they only thing I am aware of.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by A1A View Post
    It would be nice if BRP resolved this drive belt vibration issue once and for all with the Spyder RT. Then they could get all the Dealers on the same page for a proper fix. I ride my Spyder RT staying below 5,000 rpm and 70 mph. I would be afraid to take it out on the interstate. I don't want to take a chance of damaging the engine by going over 5,000 rpm and 70 mph by blending in with traffic flow.
    5000 rpm is my "normal" -- most of my driving is between that and 6000 rpm, sometimes dropping down towards 4000, but I aim my shifting so that I'm drive right around 5000 rpm. The dealership confirmed that this is where the spyder likes to be. You might be getting vibration because you're lugging the engine.
    Last edited by vondalyn; 08-04-2012 at 04:17 PM.
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

RodMyers

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    5000 rpm is my "normal" -- most of my driving is between that and 6000 rpm, sometimes dropping down towards 4000, but I aim my shifting so that I'm drive right around 5000 rpm. The dealership confirmed that this is where the spyder likes to be. You might be getting vibration because you're lugging the engine.
    Bzzzt. wrong answer.

happens, for me, to be between 5000 & 5500 rpms

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RT Ltd and have a small amount of vibration from time to time but i can usualy just adjust my speed and correct the vibration.

Joe

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Joe View Post
    I have a 2012 RT Ltd and have a small amount of vibration from time to time but i can usualy just adjust my speed and correct the vibration.

Joe

When you say a small amount, do you mean for like 300 to 400 rpm range? Or a small amount like a 1,000 rpm range?

Spyder Garage

They get PMS

2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

PMS = pretty much smaller, thought i might clarify that

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    I too have a vibration issue on my 2012 RT Limited. Mine occurs when accelerating between about 68-69 MPH through about 72-74 MPH. If I back off the throttle a tad the vibration goes away. Not sure this is that unusual as I expect some harmonic vibration might be "normal" considering the length of the belt. BTW, I'm usually in 5th gear when this happens. It doesn't concern me much since I can just back off the throttle and the settles down. I will be close to the 5000 mile mark after returning from the BBQ and will mention this to my mx tech when I take it in for it' s checkup. Thoughts?
    Try staying in 4th until 70+ and see how that feels.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Today on the way to greeneville tn on I81 I experimented with the vibration issue I described earlier. Firefly, downshifting to 4th gear helps. For example I was in 5th gear with the cruise control set and was going between 73-75MPH, started up a slight hill and the Spyder starting vibrating as the cruise tried to maintain the speed while going up the slight hill. I downshifted to 4th gear and I was able to maintain my speed and actually accelerate while going up the hill with no vibration. However whenever I'm going around 70MPH in 5th gear and accelerate or the cruise tries to maintain speed while going up a hill I get some serious vibration. This doesn't happen when I'm traveling at slower speeds i.e., say 65MPH. When I get back home from this Tn trip I'll be ready for the 5000 mile service and will describe the vibration details to my dealer. It's a PITA having to deal with this by either downshifting or slowing down or...? Is getting tiresome to say the least. Maybe some wrench guru at the tech day tomorrow can check my belt tension and alignment for me...would appreciate it!
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

Your situation sure sounds more like an engine related issue, like cylinder imbalance, to me. That can shake your eye teeth out under load. I would imagine the effects could be maginied by the harmonics of a long belt, tight motor mounts, or similar factors, too. Unfortunately, the throttle body is factory balanced, and cannot be "tuned". So the most common cause cannot be addressed. There could be other factors, like valve leakage, different valve clearances, ignition difficulties, and so on. The effects of cylinder imbalance are subtle, but very noticeable under certain circumstances. It will be difficult for the average tech to find that sort of thing and work it out...especially since the Spyder fuel injection can't be dealer tuned. I wish you the best.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

So has engine realignment solved the vibration problem long term? How long has it been tested? I just want to know before going to my dealer asking them to check that.
    Thanks
    Joe

Spyder Garage

Default Phone Call

I just received a phone call from BRP Customer Service regarding the belt vibrations and other issues on my 2012 Spyder. They have made arrangements with my dealer to provide me with a loaner for a few days while they address the vibrations and other outstanding issues. My dealer had mentioned to them that I was getting ready to trade it in for another brand and the BRP Rep ask for one more chance to solve the outstanding issues before I do something like that.

I really do hope they can solve whats going on for I like riding this bike. I want to thank my dealer for pursuing this with BRP and to also thank BRP for finally agreeing to address issues I'm having with this bike.
    Last edited by phj; 09-06-2012 at 04:34 PM.