Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Vibration continues

Last time I was at my dealer, they set the belt tension to 615 Neutons and the belt tensioner to 12 lbs. Just got back from a ride to Hollister and the Corbin factory and the vibration is still there at 5400 rpms and again at 6200 rpms.

Riding on the 101 highway, the 1 highway and the 405 freeway and toll roads, the speeds were 75 mph to 85 mph if I wanted to stay with the flow of traffic. That being said, I was continually dancing in the Vibration Zone.

BRP is sticking to its guns stating the vibration is normal. I gave them a harsh reply and told them to come into reality. BRP did not respond to my second message. Customer service by the "Ostrich" method

My dealer understands but cannot violate BRP Policy even though they understand the problem. The dealer told me they could set the tension as I direct but, would have to record the adjustment at my request thus voiding the warrantee.
    Does anyone have any influence with BRP?

Ride Master

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Master View Post
    Last time I was at my dealer, they set the belt tension to 615 Neutons and the belt tensioner to 12 lbs. Just got back from a ride to Hollister and the Corbin factory and the vibration is still there at 5400 rpms and again at 6200 rpms.

Riding on the 101 highway, the 1 highway and the 405 freeway and toll roads, the speeds were 75 mph to 85 mph if I wanted to stay with the flow of traffic. That being said, I was continually dancing in the Vibration Zone.

BRP is sticking to its guns stating the vibration is normal. I gave them a harsh reply and told them to come into reality. BRP did not respond to my second message. Customer service by the "Ostrich" method

My dealer understands but cannot violate BRP Policy even though they understand the problem. The dealer told me they could set the tension as I direct but, would have to record the adjustment at my request thus voiding the warrantee.

Ride Master
    I've got to believe everyone riding the RT has the same belt vibration issues and at the same rpms. If everybody has the belt set to factory specifications. I know that I do and I try to get through the vibration zones as quickly as possible. There should be a pulley assembly mounted inside the very long drive belt. To allow tension on the inside upper and lower belt. Which in my opinion would drastically lower this long belt flapping around causing this vibration.
    Last edited by A1A; 07-31-2012 at 10:38 AM.
    2014 RTL-SE6 Cognac (Current Love)
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium Metallic (Pre Loved)

Spyder Garage

Is the vibration when increasing speed in 5 gear?
    If so shift to 4 gear to pass.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

RodMyers

Is that normal?

I'm having the same issue with my RT.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RodMyers View Post
    Is that normal?

I'm having the same issue with my RT.
    Brp says it is.

RodMyers

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Brp says it is.
    feels like it's shaking the bike loose

Spyder Garage

I get the belt flapping vibration in 3rd, 4th & 5th gears. I try to accelerate through it as quickly as possible shifting through the gears. I would like to cruise at 75 mph at times in 5th gear. But that is a bad vibration speed for me. My RT starts the belt vibration at 5300 rpm and doesn't stop until after 6200 rpm.
    Last edited by A1A; 08-03-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

I also have the issue on my 2012 RT. 70-80 MPH. Very annoying. BRP can say what the want, however if this is "normal", they need to go back to the drawing board. I have ridden belt drive Harleys for years and NEVER had this issue.

Spyder Garage

Default Vibrations

The only "Good Vibrations" are from my Beach Boys collection.

I'm not the mechanical geru that some are here, but damned if I'd be riding a bike that has continuing vibrations/harmonic problems like a couple explained above. There's no telling what's being shaken apart in the drivetrain or even in the frame for that matter. I'd sure try working again with the dealer or dealers and BRP to get these situations solved. Something's gonna break or fly apart and then it's really an expensive mess. Transmission or engine repairs sound like they are pretty costly to me.

Good luck - I think it's time to get as persistant as you can. If the Spyders continue to be driven like that, you'd better have a good "nest egg" to draw from. And then there's the safety angle...

Tuck

Spyder Garage

I'm really curious about this. Can any of you with the vibration problems hook up with other RT riders and swap bikes for a short ride to see if you notice a difference?

Every bike has certain vibration points. You may find that 75 mph can be bad while 77 is fine.. depending on what geat you're in.

Another thing to consider is road harmonics. There are some roads that I've ridden that just really seem to cause the Spyder to ride with some vibes.

To the original poster-- BRP can't just 'void your warranty'. They would have to prove that the out-of-spec belt tension that you requested was the direct cause of your problems.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I'm really curious about this. Can any of you with the vibration problems hook up with other RT riders and swap bikes for a short ride to see if you notice a difference?
    I haven't notice any vibration (especially as described in this thread) when I ryde or am a passenger on our 2012 RT-S. We've only ever shifted at 4,800-5k rpm. I've been in 5th at 68ish mpg up to 75 and haven't felt it feel any different than at 25mph in 1st or 3rd at 40mph. If anyone with this issue is in St. Louis and wants to try ours, PM me. Maybe we can get a ride in, when it isn't 107 degrees

Spyder Garage

I haven't had that problem.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Default Vibration

Our 2010 RTS had the vibration at around 5000-5800 RPM. I mounted a Smoothspyder idler and the problem went away. When you accelerate, the bottom of the belt goes slack for a lack of a better word while the top of the belt goes into tension moving the bike down the road. It is the bottom of the belt that is giving you the problems. Look on the home page for Spyderlovers and look for Smoothspyder and get one of his tensioners. The problem goes away!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Master View Post

Ride Master
    We have gotten permission from BRP to go to a tighter belt and are getting very close to solving the vibration problem on this bike. I now have a very small band 62 to 65 mph that has a vibration. Just make your dealer call BRP! Next, the next time you are at your dealer feel the belt tension on a new bike and then go feel yours. The new one will be much tighter and I really do mean a lot tighter, that's the way they come from the factory.

Good Luck!!
    Last edited by phj; 08-03-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

It would be nice if BRP resolved this drive belt vibration issue once and for all with the Spyder RT. Then they could get the word out to all the Dealers for a correct fix. I have been riding my Spyder RT below 5,000 rpm and 70 mph. I'm trying to stay out of the severe drive belt flappin/flopping zone. I will not take my spyder out on the interstate. Because I would be riding right in the area of maximum belt flapping zone. Which is 75 to 85 mph and I don't want to take a chance of damaging the engine. Do to excessive belt flopping.
    Last edited by A1A; 08-10-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    I haven't had that problem.
    Me neither.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by A1A View Post
    It would be nice if BRP resolved this drive belt vibration issue once and for all with the Spyder RT. Then they could get all the Dealers on the same page for a proper fix. I ride my Spyder RT staying below 5,000 rpm and 70 mph. I would be afraid to take it out on the interstate. I don't want to take a chance of damaging the engine by going over 5,000 rpm and 70 mph by blending in with traffic flow.
    Will no hurt her, nothing for me to be at 60+ and drop to 3erd and run 9000 and as i am passing, skip 4th and go strait to 5th. feels like the front shocks stretches out as she rockets up front of the pack. They do not like low rpm's. let them sing

Now as for vibration. yes the belt can and will cause some but there is a bulletton out for another reason for vibration here some info on it.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ount-Clearance
    Last edited by Farmboy; 08-04-2012 at 08:25 AM.
    Hot Wheels loves to ROCK!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Will no hurt her, nothing for me to be at 60+ and drop to 3erd and run 9000 and as i am passing, skip 4th and go strait to 5th. feels like the front shocks stretches out as she rockets up front of the pack. They do not like low rpm's. let them sing

Now as for vibration. yes the belt can and will cause some but there is a bulletton out for another reason for vibration here some info on it.
    This bulletin is for 2011, mine is a 2012 and there is nothing for the 2012's and it seems many of those complaining have 2012's. By by tightening the belt we have now reduced the vibration to between 4400 to 4900 rpms, IT MAKES NO DIFFERNCE AS TO WHAT GREAR YOU ARE IN!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by A1A View Post
    It would be nice if BRP resolved this drive belt vibration issue once and for all with the Spyder RT. Then they could get all the Dealers on the same page for a proper fix. I ride my Spyder RT staying below 5,000 rpm and 70 mph. I would be afraid to take it out on the interstate. I don't want to take a chance of damaging the engine by going over 5,000 rpm and 70 mph by blending in with traffic flow.
    5000 rpm is my "normal" -- most of my driving is between that and 6000 rpm, sometimes dropping down towards 4000, but I aim my shifting so that I'm drive right around 5000 rpm. The dealership confirmed that this is where the spyder likes to be. You might be getting vibration because you're lugging the engine.
    Last edited by vondalyn; 08-04-2012 at 04:17 PM.
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

RodMyers

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    5000 rpm is my "normal" -- most of my driving is between that and 6000 rpm, sometimes dropping down towards 4000, but I aim my shifting so that I'm drive right around 5000 rpm. The dealership confirmed that this is where the spyder likes to be. You might be getting vibration because you're lugging the engine.
    Bzzzt. wrong answer.

happens, for me, to be between 5000 & 5500 rpms

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post

I have a 2012 RT SE5, I thought the motor mount shimming issues was fixed for the 2012's? My belt starts really flopping badly at 5300 rpm and doesn't quit this severe flopping until after 6200 rpm. I just can't stand feeling this belt flopping so badly. When I know this is a major issue and needs factory resolution.
    If I get a written garantee from BRP, stating they will fix for free an engine and or drive line problem caused by this floppy belt vibration. Then I'd ride my Spyder RT and ignore the severe drive belt flop.
    Thanks for your constructive feedback though.
    Last edited by A1A; 08-04-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

I'm beginning to wonder if this issue is being caused by the revised belts on the 2012s? Just thinking out loud here, but something has changed and that's they only thing I am aware of.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I still think we may have multiple different problems here. Some have stated they're running under 5,000 RPM's when in 4th and 5th....and may be lugging the engine. These Rotax engines like higher RPM's... plain and simple.
    --------------

For those that are running in the proper (higher) RPM ranges.. I'm very curious about this problem.

My 2012 RT A&C doesn't vibrate... it's far smoother than my GS was-- and that had the belt tensioner installed.

I wasn't aware that the belt had been updated for the 2012 RT's ??? Anyone have more info on this?

If that's the case.... I'll have to sell my spare belt I've had for a year or so.....

Thus far, my only complaint about the RT belt is the noise during acceleration.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I still think we may have multiple different problems here. Some have stated they're running under 5,000 RPM's when in 4th and 5th....and may be lugging the engine. These Rotax engines like higher RPM's... plain and simple.
    --------------

For those that are running in the proper (higher) RPM ranges.. I'm very curious about this problem.

My 2012 RT A&C doesn't vibrate... it's far smoother than my GS was-- and that had the belt tensioner installed.

I wasn't aware that the belt had been updated for the 2012 RT's ??? Anyone have more info on this?

If that's the case.... I'll have to sell my spare belt I've had for a year or so.....

Thus far, my only complaint about the RT belt is the noise during acceleration.....
    I would be happy to trade my vibration for your noise, mine makes no noise of any-kind!

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Yeah well

Its the belt tension and we either complain as a whole so they come up with a tensioner recall or pay out of pocket for one. Definitely seems to be the answer because of belt vibration in between 5000-6000 RPM.
    Some of these issues really hurt my impressions of BRP especially coming from a Gold Wing.