Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stolen Plate!

Spyder Garage

Default Stolen Plate!

Okay, I'm just curious - how may of you out there have, or have thought of replacing the screws for holding the license plate on?

Because, it looks like I'm gonna be forced to - and some jag-off STOLE MY PLATE!
    Of course this happens on a weekend ride , so i can't even do anything about not having a plate until Monday, and I just know I'm gonna get pulled over on my way home!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you positive it was stolen and didn't just fall off? I use those little reflector screws on mine.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I was hoping that was the case - but upon inspection of the bracket the torque screws holding the bracket on (under the plate) have tool makes on them, like they were trying to take the bracket or something. Guess I'll be getting some new security screws to ensure that either thing wont happen again!

Spyder Garage

I use stainless steel torx screws. Few license plate thiefs carry torx adapters.

Spyder Garage

Why steal a license plate from a m/c or spyder in this case?

Spyder Garage

Was it a vanity plate or just standard issue. I've read about stolen plates being used to Steel bikes. They steel a bike, swap the stollen plate and ride the bike out of state.

Of course the tool marks could be from when the plate was put on ( unless you know they where not there before) and it could have fell off. I have lost trailer plates before, I now use red lock tight and double nuts on the back. My spyder I use the reflective after marked nuts but there easier to take off as they just use a hand tight wing nut. But no one will steel my ToysRUs vanity plate.

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    I've read about stolen plates being used to Steel bikes. They steel a bike, swap the stollen plate and ride the bike out of state.

Harry
    Yeah, I know they do that with cars all the time; but, m/c's not as much.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

A few plates have fallen off and not stolen, My plate started to crack at the attaching bolts so i had to add some self tapping screws to keep from losing it, Also i always add a drop of crazy glue to the nuts/treads of the screws to keep them tight, And safe. I even do that with my trailer plates.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A little Crazy Glue is always a good idea...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

A VMax buddy of mine had his plate stolen a few years ago (Airborne vanity plate) he kept poking around till he found a surviellance camera that showed the perp and his truck clearly, got his address and went to pay a visit....sure enough, there was his plate in the back window of the guys truck! He broke the window, took back the plate and left the guy a note....."I know who you are, I know where you live....touch any of my again and I will shoot you....dead!!"

Maybe there is such a camera where you were parked ....they're just about everywhere!
    '09 SM5, Hindle pipe, K&N, sport rack, backrest, Givi shield EVO swaybar, Symtec grip heaters, Spyderpops belt guard....some other stuff.

Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it,
    Be afraid of the one saying 'To Whom it May Concern'!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I REALLY like that guy's method of dealing with the situation; even though I couldn't do that myself!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I REALLY like that guy's method of dealing with the situation; even though I couldn't do that myself!
    Neither could I but sure was impressed with his methodology!
    '09 SM5, Hindle pipe, K&N, sport rack, backrest, Givi shield EVO swaybar, Symtec grip heaters, Spyderpops belt guard....some other stuff.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dannymax View Post
    A VMax buddy of mine had his plate stolen a few years ago (Airborne vanity plate) he kept poking around till he found a surviellance camera that showed the perp and his truck clearly, got his address and went to pay a visit....sure enough, there was his plate in the back window of the guys truck! He broke the window, took back the plate and left the guy a note....."I know who you are, I know where you live....touch any of my again and I will shoot you....dead!!"

Maybe there is such a camera where you were parked ....they're just about everywhere!
    what a great story. i love it when the good guy wins. it just doesn't happen enough.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

how about just put the guy in jail and tell the other inmates he voted for are pres.and loves ***** care.that should do the trick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That would sure be hard-time for him!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I love that idea of letting the law do their jobs, but then they would actually have to do their job . But either way that BLOWS you had your plate stolen I dont know why people are such idiots. Here we have to get those stupid little metal vehicle tags for motocycles. I never attach mine to my bike it stays on my key ring just because of that . I am not paying another 35 bux for worthless items.

Custom stock height carbon fiber wind screen
    Lamonster " custom" Spyder trunk decal
    Tricled Super white mini bulbs
    Tricled Cat eyes
    Spyderpops missing belt guard
    Custom Spyder Decals
    Carbon wheels
    PHANTOM * many other mods done *
    *Member of the Woodstock spyder ryders *

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It's good to hear from you again Darksage just wish it was not about a lost or stolen plate.

It only took me 8 months to have my first one fall off. The OEM screws were too short for a good hold. Replaced with SS srews, big washers, and nylon lock nuts. Good for the next 16K. They do fall off which is better than someone screwing with you ride

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dannymax View Post

I also like the guys method for retrieving his plate. I was always told two wrongs don't make a right, but in this case it worked out. Dale

Spyder Garage

Would you really want to take a chance that you may need to kill someone over a stolen plate? Take pictures call the cops and let it go.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh; you don't have to agree with his method. But you hopefully appreciate how; for once, things worked out very well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    Would you really want to take a chance that you may need to kill someone over a stolen plate? Take pictures call the cops and let it go.
    No, I wouldn't but this wasn't just any ol' plate either. I mean, who in their right mind would steal an Airborne vanity plate? That's like picking a fight with a guy sportin' a 'Delta' tat....you pretty well deserve what's headed your way....just for being that stoopid!

Spyder Garage

!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSage View Post
    Okay, I'm just curious - how may of you out there have, or have thought of replacing the screws for holding the license plate on?

Because, it looks like I'm gonna be forced to - and some jag-off STOLE MY PLATE!
    Of course this happens on a weekend ride , so i can't even do anything about not having a plate until Monday, and I just know I'm gonna get pulled over on my way home!

Replace your plastic screws with 10-24x1 inch round head stainless machine screws and nylocks nuts. this change will slow down the thief and hope you catch the bad guy and make the culprit pay the last one you lost.

Spyder Garage

Default blue bike

Quote Originally Posted by napper39 View Post
    how about just put the guy in jail and tell the other inmates he voted for are pres.and loves ***** care.that should do the trick.
    but your bike is BLUE! you mean you aren't? lol....
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

I'm definitely going out and getting some new hardware - thanks for the suggestions on that!

Actually just got the plate replaced at the DMV - they voided the my old plate number and gave me a new one - cost me $7 bucks so it wasn't as awful as I was afraid it was gonna be.

Honestly, my biggest fear was that someone would be using my old plate on their bike, and do something unlawful, and since my name is attached to that plate number they'd be out looking for me!

For similar reasons it looks like for the time being "The Batman" will not be out on the Spyder for a while - as you can imagine I had a run in with law enforcement this weekend - too bad it wasn't about the stolen plate!