Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lyonsden View Post
    When we were coming back from Spyderfest we drove in the rain for lots of miles with no problem. We were 2-up. I think the extra weight helps. Then recently I was on a trip with a friend 1-up and we drove in the rain for 200 miles. Highway seemed pretty good and I was going along about 65 mph. My rear tire has about 10k miles on it. I had the cruise set and the back tire broke loose and I heard the engine rev and my stomach was in the air. Nanny did not kick in. I figured it would have really. I slowed down a little and ran without my cruise for a while. Then I felt the whole bike brake loose. All 3 wheels. My friend was following me and he said he seen the the spyder floating on the road swiveling. I slowed way down then. Scared me pretty good. It really makes you feel differently about riding in the rain. I think when I get a new tire it will be better and especially when riding 2-up.
    NEVER use cruise control on wet roads. That's true on any vehicle - 2, 3, 4 or 18 wheels. I did it before I knew better and got away with it, but if you do hydroplane with the cruise on, things can get complicated really fast. Same is true on snow or patchy ice. You may have done it for years without a problem, but all it takes is once to become a life-altering experience.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    Don't let the comments freak you out. The Spyder has more rubber on the ground than a two wheeler and can hydroplane. Many of us run car tires that work well in wet conditions. That helps a great deal. Make sure you have plenty of tread, slow down and watch conditions, and you should be fine. The bike is more stable 2 up in those conditions.

2-up with more weight over the back tire helps a bunch. Let the nanny do it's job, slow down and "take it easy"...you'll get just as wet going slower as you do going fast.
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Spyder Garage

In my sixth decade now and I have ridden my Spyders SAFELY through rain storms that I would not have attempted on a two wheeler even as a teenager!
    To God Be The Glory!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since this post started four years ago; I've now had the occasion to "look out through the earhole" of my helmet, while riding in what appears to be a trout stream!
    The bikes will get al sorts of "squirmy", if:
    1. You're travelling fast enough
    2. The water is deep enough
    3. Your tires are worn enough

Why?? There's lots of engineers and scientists who can explain it better; I feel that it's the relative light weight of the bikes, coupled with the width of the tires.
    That's why I might just try a "205" out back; the next time I buy a tire.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The Missus & I recently did one of our favourite 3000 mile round trips, spending a week or so on the road. The last half of this trip from Melbourne to Adelaide along the coast & including The Great Ocean Road (which we've done a number of times now) is on a fairly old, largely 2 lane only, windy, & hilly coastal road which any time of the year has fantastic riding & even better scenery!! The Leaners just lurve it during the summertime, with thousands flocking to challenge the twisties & check out the scenery; but come wintertime (like it is here now Down Under) only the hardy dare take on the challenge due to the likelihood of rain & slippery roads!!

We've ridden it numerous times before on a Leaner & in all sorts of conditions, vehicles, & weather, but have never had such a great ride thru there as this last ryde thru in the pouring rain on the Spyder!! Even in the wet, once you've got real tires fitted instead of the Kenda crap & you are running your tires at the right pressures, the Spyder sticks to the road like glue & makes carving this route just fantastic!! This last trip saw the rain start just as we left the Ferry at Queenscliffe, and it rained for the next 3 days & over the next 1000 miles, pouring while we were travelling what is arguably the twistiest long section of Ocean Highway we have in Australia, but the Spyder made it a bloody wonderful trip!! We were able to ride comfortably along all the time, most of it pretty near the speed limit (ranging from 40-70mph) without the slightest concern despite the appalling weather & supposedly slippery roads, passed many Leaners gingerly making their way along the edge of the road at about 25mph (& quite a few cars travelling even slower) without the slightest issue, and basically not having any issues at all except for how long we'd hafta wait for our 2 wheel companions to catch up at our next stop or our evening accommodation!!

NO hydro-planing at all, despite lots of rain, water over the road, and all the other road users, cages & 2 wheelers both, having lotsa problems & our fellow travellers complaining about their numerous slides & hydro-planing incidents, yet we didn't even get close to one incident!!! These Spyders are simply bloody fantastic at the way they stick to the road (once you've tossed the crappy OE tires anyway!) and as a result of their traction & stability under all conditions, including some pretty adverse weather, they've made all our riding waaaayyy more enjoyable!

So are we Worried about wet weather riding? NO WAY!! Sure, we slow down a bit when the rain gets going, but the Spyder is far more predictable & sure-footed than any Leaner & even many cages! Ride More, Worry Less!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 205 VS. 225

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Since this post started four years ago; I've now had the occasion to "look out through the earhole" of my helmet, while riding in what appears to be a trout stream!
    The bikes will get al sorts of "squirmy", if:
    1. You're travelling fast enough
    2. The water is deep enough
    3. Your tires are worn enough

Why?? There's lots of engineers and scientists who can explain it better; I feel that it's the relative light weight of the bikes, coupled with the width of the tires.
    That's why I might just try a "205" out back; the next time I buy a tire.
    .... Bob, to put this in perspective ..... if you were to Hydroplane at 60 mph with a 225 rear tire --- with a 205 you can go 62 mph .................But either way " Miss Nanny " will correct it when it happens ..................... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... Bob, to put this in perspective ..... if you were to Hydroplane at 60 mph with a 225 rear tire --- with a 205 you can go 62 mph .................But either way " Miss Nanny " will correct it when it happens ..................... Mike
    I know that she's lurking... I'd just rather not rely on her...

Spyder Garage

An older thread (2012) but good for an update.

Recipe for YIKES: Drive through standing water over an inch deep at 55 plus--and you are going to hydroplane big time. Ask me how I know? Happened to me twice before I figured it out. PS. There is such a warning in the owners manual--but who reads that?

Alaska allows studded snow tires. Result--deep grooves in the pavement where the tires go. During rainy season, the grooves can fill with standing water. Hit these at speed with and you are going for a ride.

The nanny does kick in, but your asking for it when other traffic is in next lanes and moving at 70 plus mph.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default HYDROPLAINING

I've always let the Spyder correct itself. Between traction control and vehicle stability control I've never had a problem. Spent three hours in hard rain today pulling my 622. Hit a couple of deep water pockets about 5 yards long. Yes felt the Spyder begin to yaw but just as fast the computer system took over. Not sure if it was traction control or the other system that took, I don't care, over but it worked just as its worked for me during the past 6 years. My speed was 45-60 mph on two lane roads today with tight turns. Spyder did everything I asked it to do.
    file:///Users/thomasholberton/Desktop/VisitedStatesMap.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default The rear is the culprit for me...

I have hydroplaned probably 25 times in 16,000+ miles....The factory rear, The Kumho Ecsta, and now the RT-43 also.... I have never had the front go sideways..But that rear will turn loose and float out to the side easy....I also believe it is a combination of wide contact patch, light weight, and some redirection of water from the front tires to the center....I have hydroplaned at 30 mph with a tire that had about 1/3 tread left (Kumho Ecsta).

I believe it is the nature of a Spyder...I have ridden many thousands of miles on 2 wheels with no hydroplane issues, lost traction on a oily slick road yes but floating a tire-never....Not a complaint mind you, just a real life observation.....And it would not have changed any decisions to buy one had I known it before hand...Just something to be aware of...

Spyder Garage

A known issue and it is addressed in the owners manual.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In light rain or on roads that have good drainage the Spyder is awesome and you should be able to travel safely at posted speeds. In heavy rain or on roads with inadequate drainage you need to slow way down or you will hydroplane. And as someone else posted never use your cruise control on wet roads.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Oil & Antifreeze etc.

I wonder if the back tire is encountering the oil/antifreeze slick in the center of the lane that 2 wheel motorcycles try to avoid. I know this is mostly a problem when rain begins and not related to hydroplaning but I could see that being a problem for the rear traction on a Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's FAR less of an issue for Spyders, than it is for the "leaners"...