Spyder Garage

Default Corbin are they caring less than BRP?

Maybe it's a black cloud over me. My 2011 rt was fitted with the Corbin heated seat from the start. Last year the back rest support broke and Corbin replaced the seat (4 + wks). The second seat fit so tight the rivets under the fron lip took chunks out of the finish (recommend covering them). This spring the back rest failed again. The seat was replaced (I'm told the back rest supports are better), but the closure pin that locks the seat in place is 1/4inch too far foreword and the seat has to be sent back again. Any other seats available? This is very frustrating as the manufacturer does not care about keeping their customer waiting or happy. At least after they have your money. Thanks for listening. Ed

Spyder Garage

Ultimate Seats seems to be getting a lot of positive reviews from owners? Too bad to hear about your Corbin struggles hope you make out OK! I am really struggling with ride comfort after about an hour will most likely go with the Ultimate soon.
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post
    Ultimate Seats seems to be getting a lot of positive reviews from owners? Too bad to hear about your Corbin struggles hope you make out OK! I am really struggling with ride comfort after about an hour will most likely go with the Ultimate soon.
    Thanks. I wish ultimate made a heated seat. Think I would get a refund from Corbin? Ed

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post
    I have the Ultimate seat with dual backrests on my 2011 RSS. The fit, finish, comfort, materials and looks are all first rate. It was my first mod and definitely one of the best change I've made. Really nice seat.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by edrn View Post
    Maybe it's a black cloud over me. My 2011 rt was fitted with the Corbin heated seat from the start. Last year the back rest support broke and Corbin replaced the seat (4 + wks). The second seat fit so tight the rivets under the fron lip took chunks out of the finish (recommend covering them). This spring the back rest failed again. The seat was replaced (I'm told the back rest supports are better), but the closure pin that locks the seat in place is 1/4inch too far foreword and the seat has to be sent back again. Any other seats available? This is very frustrating as the manufacturer does not care about keeping their customer waiting or happy. At least after they have your money. Thanks for listening. Ed
    Sorry to hear of your problems. While Corbin isn't quite what they used to be since the days of Mike... I've had decent experiences with them lately.

I'm a bit confused when you say the "back rest support broke". Why would they need to replace the seat for a failed backrest?

I just got my Corbin and had a bit of trouble with the 'fit' .. it seemed the seat was too far forward to properly fit the latch pin into the hole and lock down. I had to extend the latch pin about 1/8" down or more to fix it.

The one complaint I do have is their instructions and not warning better about the gas door needing to be open when raising or lowering the seat..... scratched the paint near my glovebox because I lowered it with gas door closed...... They really should have made that a LARGE warning -- maybe a sticker on the door.

But so far... love the seat.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Heated Seats

Hi
    Sorry to hear about your seat trouble... Just for the record..... any seat can have a heat unit installed into it
    I have done lots of them as well as GEL... there is no need to spend tons of money on a seat unless you want to.
    I can do it for you check out www.davesvcu.com or just go to your local automotive upholstery shop and tell them you want
    a heating unit installed into your seat.... they use the same unit as Honda, BMW, some Cheve and Ford car seats...
    see there I have given away my secret...
    Dave
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Sorry to hear of your problems. While Corbin isn't quite what they used to be since the days of Mike... I've had decent experiences with them lately.

I'm a bit confused when you say the "back rest support broke". Why would they need to replace the seat for a failed backrest?

I just got my Corbin and had a bit of trouble with the 'fit' .. it seemed the seat was too far forward to properly fit the latch pin into the hole and lock down. I had to extend the latch pin about 1/8" down or more to fix it.

The one complaint I do have is their instructions and not warning better about the gas door needing to be open when raising or lowering the seat..... scratched the paint near my glovebox because I lowered it with gas door closed...... They really should have made that a LARGE warning -- maybe a sticker on the door.

But so far... love the seat.
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 07-26-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by edrn View Post
    WHAT ARE THE ODDS..... I'm not on this forum very often and came to start a thread about my backrest that has crapped out and just for the heck of it I clicked on "new posts" and this was the 1st one at the top. Anyhow.... Whatever is supposed to provide tension on the pin to prevent seat back from pivoting freely on the mount is gone or worn out. Now my seat back flops freely so if I lean forward and slow down, I get the lovely sensation of the backrest thumping me in the back. It's also in my way when I climb onto the spyder as I have to make sure it's not flopped forward or I'll sit on the back side of the backrest. I called the tech support and got a lady there that informed me that the only adjustment is the set screw that limits how far back it can tilt. Has nothing to do with my problem but it took a while to explain my issue and after I got off the phone, I'm sure she's still convinced that I need to tighten that screw Has anyone actually had this same issue? What did you do to repair it? She told me it's pretty much either tighten the screw or throw it away or send it in and they will inspect it but there's no repairs that they typically do to them . $229 for a new one
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Hi
    Sorry to hear about your seat trouble... Just for the record..... any seat can have a heat unit installed into it
    I have done lots of them as well as GEL... there is no need to spend tons of money on a seat unless you want to.
    I can do it for you check out www.davesvcu.com or just go to your local automotive upholstery shop and tell them you want
    a heating unit installed into your seat.... they use the same unit as Honda, BMW, some Cheve and Ford car seats...
    see there I have given away my secret...
    Dave
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Only problem is the stock BRP seats really really suck..... I can't imagine NOT replacing it with something firmer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Only problem is the stock BRP seats really really suck..... I can't imagine NOT replacing it with something firmer.
    My butt really loves the BRP stock seat.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default CORBIN ARM RESTS

We're new to Spyders bought our 2012 RT in April, and wife's used to sidecar, so we bought a Utopia Backrest I like and Corbin Arm Rests for the wife, and they're not 2 months old, and the fabric split and frayed on the Corbin. When I take it in for the next service I'm gonna see if they'll send it back to Corbin and get the Diamond R arm rests. They weren't yet available when we got the Corbins but for the $$$ it cost, darn sure shouldn't have failed already. And I struggle with the same issue about the backrest flopping forward. any thoughts on this?
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The corbin we ordered a couple of years ago we hated from the start. Arrived with a small tear on the bottom edge. Their quality control is pathetic and customer service is worse. Overpriced junk IMO! We sold the seat with only 15 minutes of seat time on it.

Spyder Garage

Default Love my Corbin and their customer service gets a 10

Have 20K+ seat time on my Corbin...loved it within the first 500 miles...this Spring while on my East coast trip the gas door was pushing in and making hard to open...called Corbin..they spent a couple days thinking they could "catch" me some where to get new door/hinge to me so that I didn't have to "fight" to open gas door. I really appreciated their effort but said just send to my house and I will replace when I get home...all that said to say the seat is great, the customer service is wonderful. No complaints from this satisfied Spyder owner with the Corbin saddle and many miles on it...and looking forward to putting many more on it..quality product and vendor.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    WHAT ARE THE ODDS..... I'm not on this forum very often and came to start a thread about my backrest that has crapped out and just for the heck of it I clicked on "new posts" and this was the 1st one at the top. Anyhow.... Whatever is supposed to provide tension on the pin to prevent seat back from pivoting freely on the mount is gone or worn out. Now my seat back flops freely so if I lean forward and slow down, I get the lovely sensation of the backrest thumping me in the back. It's also in my way when I climb onto the spyder as I have to make sure it's not flopped forward or I'll sit on the back side of the backrest. I called the tech support and got a lady there that informed me that the only adjustment is the set screw that limits how far back it can tilt. Has nothing to do with my problem but it took a while to explain my issue and after I got off the phone, I'm sure she's still convinced that I need to tighten that screw Has anyone actually had this same issue? What did you do to repair it? She told me it's pretty much either tighten the screw or throw it away or send it in and they will inspect it but there's no repairs that they typically do to them . $229 for a new one
    That's what happened to my first seat, the second one the whole mechanism seemed to have shattered. They replaced the whole seat both times as they have a lifetime warrantee on the " mechanics" not the surface. I. Have been dealing with them through my BRP Corbin dealer. The wait has been over4 wks each time. Te dealer only had to send them pictures each time. Good luck. Ed

Spyder Garage

Many who get a Corbin seemed shocked and complain that they're 'too firm' and quickly give up on them. Big mistake. They take awhile to break in. Around 2,000 miles. The stock RT seat is just way too soft. Feels good for about 30 minutes but lacks the real support for longer trips. They make them 'showroom soft' for a reason---- so people sit on them and instantly think they're really comfy.

I rode 700 miles home from Cuba on the stock seat. Ordered my Corbin the next day!

Only have around 1,000 miles on Corbin but loving it already.

Spyder Garage

Oh, and the other thing I HATED about the stock seat is you cannot slide around at all on it! How are you supposed to hit the corners really fast without sliding over and hanging off? Corbin allows you to slide when needed. :-)

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Well, I admit I am not one for excessive sliding around and "hanging off the edge" but we have 10 K on the stock RT seat and I find it to be very comfortable. Maybe its these "older body parts" but has worked well for my partner and I. We've done as much as 550 miles a day and both commented when we get off how physically fine we feel...no stiffness, soreness, etc. We do also stop every 2 - 3 hours for gas, necessities and just to walk around to limber up the stiff joints. With that said, some day it will be replaced and I continue to monitor these threads closely to see what decision will be made.

Diana

Spyder Garage

Default Diamond R Arm rests

Quote Originally Posted by AbNormy View Post
    We're new to Spyders bought our 2012 RT in April, and wife's used to sidecar, so we bought a Utopia Backrest I like and Corbin Arm Rests for the wife, and they're not 2 months old, and the fabric split and frayed on the Corbin. When I take it in for the next service I'm gonna see if they'll send it back to Corbin and get the Diamond R arm rests. They weren't yet available when we got the Corbins but for the $$$ it cost, darn sure shouldn't have failed already. And I struggle with the same issue about the backrest flopping forward. any thoughts on this?
    I installed the Diamond R arm rests on my RT LTD, wife loves them, easy to install, well worth the money

Dave
    2011 Spyder RT Limited, drive daily (except when it's snowing)
    2012 Honda Fury VT1300
    1974 850 Norton Commando, drive daily, praying that it keeps running!
    2009 Goldwing GL1800 AD, traded in
    2009 Suzuki M109, (fast bike), traded in
    2011 Nissan Murano SL, S, ride to work

Spyder Garage

Many who get a Corbin seemed shocked and complain that they're 'too firm' and quickly give up on them. Big mistake. They take awhile to break in. Around 2,000 miles.
    I have 25,000+ miles on my Corbin...it's as hard as it was when I got it. I think they used concrete instead of foam in my seat! I really think it's never going to "break in".

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    I have 25,000+ miles on my Corbin...it's as hard as it was when I got it. I think they used concrete instead of foam in my seat! I really think it's never going to "break in".
    It doesn't get 'softer' ... It just changes to fit your buttocks and support the right areas. Soft does not equal good. Ever slept on a too soft mattress? Horrible for the back.

Spyder Garage

Default Just wondering ???

Is FIREFLY an outside sales rep for Corbin ?

It doesn't get 'softer' ... It just changes to fit your buttocks and support the right areas. Soft does not equal good. Ever slept on a too soft mattress? Horrible for the back.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Is FIREFLY an outside sales rep for Corbin ?
    I wish !!!

I had over 50,000 miles on my GS with the Corbin seat.. and I can tell you there was no way I could have done those miles with the stock seat.

Spyder Garage

Default You should give Mke a call

You should give Mike a Call he is in Hollister CA. 831-634-1100

I wish !!!

I had over 50,000 miles on my GS with the Corbin seat.. and I can tell you there was no way I could have done those miles with the stock seat.

Spyder Garage

We have a Russel Day Long. Its a nice product and great customer service.................

Spyder Garage

Default Corbin seat...

On the positive side, my Corbin is more comfortable than the stock seat, and the gas door is a plus. That being said, the negatives are:

1. No lift strut.
    2. Poor hinge design compared to the BRP hinges.
    3. Locking pin doesn't allign... most of us have removed it.
    4. Poor placement of rivets around the front area of the seat, and they do scratch the paint.
    5. Poor glueing of the leather around the front area... I had to re-glue and add strips of leather over the rivets.
    6. Gas door needs to be open before lifting the seat to prevent scratching the tupperware.
    7. The backrest mounting just plain sucks! It's loose as a goose and wobbles all over the place.

They've been selling seats for the RT for three years and it seems as if they still haven't corrected the problems.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Spyder Garage

Default Seen the great and the bad!!

I just wanted to get my 2 cents worth in.
    I ordered and received a Corbin seat for my spyder thru a dealership. The seat was evidently not formed right. The right side of the seat fit perfectly around
    the gas tank, the left side of the seat sat on top of the gas tank...not around it. Because of this it looked like the gas door was installed cooked or cock-eyed.
    I tried and had several people look at to make sure it just wasn't me trying to install it wrong.

After several attempts to try to adjust it to fit I called the dealership, who in turn called Corbin on three separate occasions. I was told by the dealership they were given the run-around and not getting any customer support and ended up hanging up on Corbin. The dealership said the only thing I could do is send it back to the dealership and they (the dealership) would give me all of my money back. I asked them if Corbin would just send me one that would fit...they said maybe so, but it would not be thru their dealership!! So...I do not have a very good opion of Corbin....however if it wasn't for the dealership I wonder if I would have been stuck with it.

I had a Suzuki M90 before the Spyder, order a Corbin seat thru this same dealership and it was a GREAT seat!! I loved it...I can't imagine what has happened to Corbin's products and their guarantees.

I just order an Ultimate seat...they say they have one in stock that they will ship either today or Monday!!

Think I got more than my 2 cents worth!!