Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 87 Octane fuel

Spyder Garage

I've been using premium, but have discovered there are some stations in the area that sell ethanol-free gas, but only in 87 octane. I'm going to give it a try, since I assume no ethanol is better than a higher octane with ethanol. Does anyone have any data on that assumption?
    Last edited by Dan McNally; 07-17-2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: fix fat fingered typos!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Only the RT requires higher octane. The RS models are fine with the 87.. last time I checked.

I go with what BRP says. Ran 87 on my GS/RS for 56,000 miles. Tried a few tanks of 91-93 and it was a waste of money.

My 2012 RT says 91 --- so that's what I run.
    couldn't agree more. our 2012 rss runs great on 87 and the few times i've tried the 91 and 89 i didn't see any difference, mileage or performance wise!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by viiiball View Post
    Its a Porsche and pronounced Pour Sh A.

And her I though it was Porch something to swing on
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    I use 87 in BR1 and my Gold Wing trike, Punkin'. The reason....the ranch next door has several vehicles and a 250 gallon bulk gas tank. I stay up late and sneak over around 1:00 am, waiting for his huge bull to be asleep and fill up a couple of five gallon cans. I have mentioned if he thought about 93 and he said with the amount of gas he uses, he can't afford to upgrade....oh, well, I will just have to live with this.

gotta love it!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default go go juice

we run on the mid grade here in delaware ...always good performance and gas milage....some say lowering the windshield gets better gas mileage too...it all comes down to that right hand...im a half twister ..slo and steady

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With the difference in price being maybe a quarter per gallon; Assume a four gallon refueling and I'm sorry to have to ask if that dollar all that important?
    Put it another way...
    Assume that you ride 10,000 miles per year
    You get 30 mpg
    Total gallons used: just a bit over 333 gallons
    Assume again 25 cents per gallon price differential...
    That's $83.33 over the course of an entire year...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-17-2013 at 05:19 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    With the difference in price being maybe a quarter per gallon; Assume a four gallon refueling and I'm sorry to have to ask if that dollar all that important?
    Put it another way...
    Assume that you ride 10,000 miles per year
    You get 30 mpg
    Total gallons used: just a bit over 333 gallons
    Assume again 25 cents per gallon price differential...
    That's $83.33 over the course of an entire year...
    Amen!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Good math...Amen +1
    When gas was 50 cents a gallon, it was about a dime more to get premium, a 20% difference.
    Now it's like 6 or 7%. Not worth considering on a 20K (+) machine.
    2012 Spyder RT

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Some body read his post!

Quote Originally Posted by donnellpj View Post

Is it a full moon yet? Strange things are happening around here lately! 😂

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Half a LOF

you do that for two years and you can a free LOF service!

Spyder Garage

My question has nothing to do with the cost of gas, but is in regard to the ethanol in the gas. The owner's manual for my 2013 RT has bold print where it discusses using gas with a maximum of 10% ethanol . . . the minimum requirement for gas is 87 octane, so it is acceptable, but better performance is derived from higher octane. Bold print items in my USAF maintenance days meant it was very important . . . so, again, I ask . . . does anyone have any information regarding ethanol, and if it is better to use ethanol-free 87 octane, than a higher octane that contains 10% ethanol? Surely, someone knows!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is what the owners manual says to use. You can use 87 octane, but 91 gives better performance. Do as you please. I use 87 octane because I am a penny pinching cheapskate who saves .30 per gallon with each fill up. After I buy 100,000 gallons I will have saved enough to buy a new RT-S.....

FUEL OCTANE RATING
    INSIDE NORTH AMERICA
    Recommended Minimum
    (RON + MON)/2)
    (RON + MON)/2)
    Use premium unleaded fuel for
    optimum engine performance.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Porsch''a'' Is the Feminine Pronunciation.
    I thought Poscha (Portia) was Ellen DeGenerates wife.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    I thought Poscha (Portia) was Ellen DeGenerates wife.
    P/C; Life Partner; [till the next one comes along]

Spyder Garage

interesting thread...last year, I went to the Adorondaks and rode with other Spyders who got gas less frequently than me......they used premium and I used regular(87 octane)....I have since switched and noticed that I used to get 25 mpg, now I get 30+mpg, even when I two up! so I am sticking with the premium.

Spyder Garage

Default We run......

We run 87 with no problems- but hate ETHANOL-----try to put REAL gas in when I can but it comes at a premium in price (Darn it)
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

87 octane will run just fine for the life of your bike...
    91 might make it run a WEE bit better
    I use the higher octane swill due to the poor quality of the fuels that are available...
    I'd rather err on the side of caution with the "Better", bad stuff...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    My question has nothing to do with the cost of gas, but is in regard to the ethanol in the gas. The owner's manual for my 2013 RT has bold print where it discusses using gas with a maximum of 10% ethanol . . . the minimum requirement for gas is 87 octane, so it is acceptable, but better performance is derived from higher octane. Bold print items in my USAF maintenance days meant it was very important . . . so, again, I ask . . . does anyone have any information regarding ethanol, and if it is better to use ethanol-free 87 octane, than a higher octane that contains 10% ethanol? Surely, someone knows!

Ethanol receives more "bashing" than it truly deserves. Most comments I see about fuel are based on folklore and misinformation -- rather than fact. (The internet is not necessarily a good source for information on fuel. It is littered with misinformation.)

I would say there are definitely concerns about ethanol, (moisture, corrosive qualities, and etc); however it you ride and re-fuel often, some of these problems (moisture) may not be a problem; at least not to the degree you will notice on your Spyder (boats and sports craft are a different deal... do not use ethanol).

However, do not store your Spyder for longer periods with ethanol fuel in it -- at least not without treating the fuel first (moisture build-up mostly).

With regard to mileage, knocking, and power... try it for yourself and see. Make sure you run several tanks of each to compare (there is a difference between fuels).

Temps, humidity, altitude, terrain, vehicle weight (with rider and luggage), driving-technique, and more all contribute to an individual's experience with fuels. Thus, it is difficult to make a blank statement about one fuel over another. You simply have to experiment for your style and needs to see what works best for you.

Personally, I would only use what gives me the most power performance. I would not be concerned about saving a few nickels.

Stay within the recommended range in your manual though. I can promise they state that range for a very important reason.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners