Thread: Anti Freeze

Spyder Garage

Default Anti Freeze

What type of anti freeze do people use. Does everyone buy Premix from Bombardier or buy one with certain specifications. Is car anti-freeze okay?
    Last edited by gazunni; 07-23-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default I use the BRP 50/50

I just ordered a case of it online and keep it on hand.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited , OEM NA Satin Platinum

Spyder Garage

Pre-Mix 50/50 of a well Known Brand.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

50:50 ethylene glycol/deionized water (aka premix) labeled as compatible for aluminum engines.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Evan coolant for Spyders?

During my amateur aircraft (Experimental USA) days and involvement with servicing Rotax 912, 912s, 914T aircraft engines we had a web site like this site were we had many discussions on coolant types best to use.
    Rotax bulletins came out and recommended to use a non water base coolants.
    Polypropylene glycol instead of the water diluted ethylene glycol based coolants.
    The first being safe to eat and cook your fries in ( a laxative )and the other being very toxic especially to cats that seem to like the sweat taste of it.
    Silly cats.... I always recommended Evans coolant to my fellow Rotax pilots. http://www.evanscooling.com/ it has properties that exceed ethylene glycol but does cost $$ more and you must flush the coolant system completely of the old stuff before using the new stuff. You might find the Jay Leno video of it interesting too.
    I wanted to revive this thread and see what others think here on Spyderlovers about this coolant for use in our Spyders ... I will change my coolant at the end of the season but want to see others opinions on this product here. And hopefully hear some Sypder pro's chime in on this topic. Thanks.. Frank.... from the land of back bacon and beavers.
    Last edited by condorflysu; 04-20-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Coolant ..!!

always used brand name aluminum safe coolant waterless if possible...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I just had a 14,000 mile service done today on my RT and I was quite supprised that the coolant was $35.96 for 4 liters.
    SpydermanCT

2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black PE # 794 ~ RT-622 Trailer ~ Can-Am Garmin 665 GPS ~ Elka Front Shocks ~ ESI Brightsides with Rips Kit ~ ESI RT Fender Tips Kit ~ Rear Brightsides ~ HMT Brake Light ~ Tricplate rear running / Brake LED's ~ ESI Mud Flap Lights ~ LED Day Runners ~ Right Side Inlet Covers ~ Street Magic Scuff Guards ~ IPS Key Cover ~ KewlMetal Kewlocks ~ Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate and Catalytic Converter Shield Set ~ Carbon Fiber Kit ~ Corbin Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydermanCT View Post
    I just had a 14,000 mile service done today on my RT and I was quite supprised that the coolant was $35.96 for 4 liters.
    BRP gets about $9.00 a Quart????? Time to Buy BRP stock?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I just bought BRP stuff today to top my tank off. WHAT A PAIN! People with really big hands must hate messing with getting the cap off and filling it. Did figure out to put a light up in the wheel well and shine on the tank from the back to see the level. Funnel with long hose and got 'er done. Hope I don't have to do that very often.
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Farmbanker View Post
    I just bought BRP stuff today to top my tank off. WHAT A PAIN! People with really big hands must hate messing with getting the cap off and filling it. Did figure out to put a light up in the wheel well and shine on the tank from the back to see the level. Funnel with long hose and got 'er done. Hope I don't have to do that very often.
    I bought a transmission funnel the only time I had to mess with it. I keep a small bottle of Red Line Water Wetter in the bike for emergencies, but have yet to use it.

Spyder Garage

Default Draining the Radiator...Caution

Mechanic at Honda Winston-Salem told me that the drain plug on the radiators is often extremely tight and that he had several strip out trying to drain the radiator. This was told me in passing and I didn't discuss it further as he was really busy.

No clue how to prevent it other than leave it alone and syphon all you can get out the top and refresh it that way. Being that mine is 2 years old I'm looking at preventive maintenance. May give it a try later on, using very modest force to see if it will loosen. If not, I'll do the refresh thing.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Mechanic at Honda Winston-Salem told me that the drain plug on the radiators is often extremely tight and that he had several strip out trying to drain the radiator. This was told me in passing and I didn't discuss it further as he was really busy.

No clue how to prevent it other than leave it alone and syphon all you can get out the top and refresh it that way. Being that mine is 2 years old I'm looking at preventive maintenance. May give it a try later on, using very modest force to see if it will loosen. If not, I'll do the refresh thing.
    Disconnect the lower radiator hose and it should drain just fine.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Disconnect the lower radiator hose and it should drain just fine.
    OMG, I should have thought of that! Senility is setting it!
    Thanks Scotty.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)