Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Yes. That is exactly the point of the new panel. Lamont also posted a photo of them side by side where you can see the difference in the mounting tabs.

Spyder Garage

Dropped my RT-S off at Honda East this morning for 9k service. I actually have 10.6 k on it. They do not have the new panels nor the new filters. I was told they just got their letter. Hopefully they'll have them the next time.

UPDATE (7-28-12): I posted to a thread by Honda East about the extended oil change interval asking abt new filters and panel. The responder told me he talked with the service manager and I'll be getting the new filters and panel. I just have to bring in the voucher.

Spyder Phyl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pwilbarger; 07-29-2012 at 09:56 PM.
    SpyderPhyl

2014 Cognac RT-LTD, SE6, ACE 1330

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Oil change panel

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Thanks for the pic's Lamont!! Do we still want to leave the bottom panel off?
    Mark & Evelyn
    2010 Orbital Blue RT A&C SM5, Utopia back rest on a Rich's Custom seat and a 2 1/2 " home chop on the windshield.

Spyder Garage

Default Oil change panel

Is this a body panel we're talking about changing? I've got a wrap on my machine and this is not a welcome change if it's body panel replacement

Spyder Garage

Default Oil change Panel

Duh for me. What a bonehead question. I just saw the picture just above my post. Just goes to prove that there are stupid questions after all LOL. Have a good one guys and gals.

Spyder Garage

Olddood: Had mine done last tuesday and didn't realize till yesterday, while checking oil level, that the grill now simply lifts out. They've done away with the push pins that held the old ones in, and it makes it easier to check your oil as well without bashing knuckles on rough edges.

I think that with removal of one bolt and one push pin the lower air foil will come off, releasing that lower black panel to make it easier to get at the transmission filter. Won't know for sure till its time for next oil change.

If so, it will save a lot of aggrivation taking all the upper panels and RW mirror off. I've done my oil/filter changes from 600 mi on and now have 16K on it, so it will make changing a breeze...well maybe a tiny breeze.

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLine View Post
    We got the letter and voucher, but evidently BRP forgot to send the plan to all their dealers. Went in for my 600 mi. And presented a list of squawks and requested the panel. They had no idea of what I was talking about. I had to show them the voucher to prove I wasn't making it up, they said they'd look into it. Now, do they owe me, or do I have to wait for 4600 more mi to get it done?

I agree. Just had my 3000 mile service and handed the service guy my coupon and was told to keep it and according the service voucher, ther were no panels changed. I was told I got the new oil canester though. Now do I wait another 4500 miles or go back and ask what gives?
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Default Not getting the 'good feeling' vibe after Spyder service maintenance

Nearly same story here... Just got 3K service change and was told that BRP purchased all of their old oil filters and they are now using the new filters. When finished, I asked whether any software updates were performed since I thought there was a throttle update and I also asked when our next service was due. Was told that he didn't know if any updates were done but if it was due, it was performed automatically while hooked up to BUDS and our next service was due @ 6K. When I ask specifically IF a software update was done, he looked up and saw that there was one scheduled and should have been done (not sure how I can check to make sure) and when I asked about the new maintenance schedule with new filters, he said it would start AFTER the 6K service. Also, while looking for maintenance updates, he said something about a radio update which he would have to order the part for... I'm taking the Spyder in tomorrow for a front latch issue and will ask again about all of these issues.... Might need to start looking for a new servicing location!!

Mark D. Harrington
    Retired USAF (MSgt)

Bikes:
    2005 Honda Shadow 750
    2010 AutoMoto (150cc)
    2012 Can Am RT Limited - White (Wife's)
    2012 Can Am RT Limited - White (Mine)

Spyder Garage

I think many are jumping the gun and just need to be patient and wait for the dealer network to get up to speed on these new panels. Give it some time and dealers will eventually know about all this.

In the meantime, perhaps we can contact BRP and see if they would consider just selling these kits to us do-it-yourselfers ?

All I really want is a part number for the kit and the ability to order it from either my local dealer or an online one. Would rather just buy the kit than mess with dealer.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I picked up my 2012 RT on 7/3. Has the updated panel been installed at the factory on any of the 2012 RTs, or should I expect a letter from Can Am? My dealer knows nothing about it. I plan to do my own work after the inital service this week. Thanks!
    2014 RTS , Spyderpops oversized brake pedal Cognac

Spyder Garage

Just got off the phone with FMS service department. They don't know anything about the panel upgrade and are going to look into it. I guess it will happen for me at the next oil change.

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gln2 View Post
    I'm seeing that alot of folks are getting the voucher for the new panels my question is has anyone from Calif. received one yet? Or should I contact BRP.
    They have to get approval from epa in ca.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    Just got off the phone with FMS service department. They don't know anything about the panel upgrade and are going to look into it. I guess it will happen for me at the next oil change.

Well FMS (my dealer) called me back twice today and left messages on my phone. The first message was that he had called BRP and asked about these panels and what are they and such. He was told by someone at BRP that there was no new panels and that the oil filter canister was the only thing being replaced. The he said if I had any questions I was supposed to call him back.

Since I don't carry my cell phone at work, the second message was left before I even heard the first one. His 2nd message said that BRP had called him back and apologized for giving him bad information and there really were new panels. BRP told him that they had made a low key informal announcement about the panels and a lot of dealers had missed it and the way it worked is the customers need to bring in their coupon and the dealer will order it for them. They are not 'stocked'.

Bottom line..... my dealer told me to bring in the coupon and he would order the panels for me and let me know when they arrived. Now I need to find time to go to the dealer.

So to Fredericksburg Motor Sports (FMS) for following up. This is the way customer service should work.

My Mods -

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default whats the diff

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    I picked it up yesterday but I had to pay for it, they have to do the oil change to get it for free. The parts cost a little over $30 so since I do my own oil changes it was much cheaper. I picked up an oil change kit and they had already put the the new transmission cover in the box so I will get the oil changed and install the new panel when I get a chance, possibly this weekend.
    The orig oil panel cover pops off pretty easy. whats the diff with the new cover?

Spyder Garage

These vouchers come with new service schedule ?

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDYRT View Post
    The orig oil panel cover pops off pretty easy. whats the diff with the new cover?
    Look at the photos posted in this thread.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default BRP's

Below is the clarification I was given by BRP's customer service rep regarding the panels just to be clear on how it works. There is no hard line, if you do your own maintenance (oil change) then the dealer can choose to give you the panel or to sell it even though they would be reinbursed by BRP if the coupon was sent in. My luck, Lifestyles Honda in Mt. Vernon WA chooses to charge for them, lol.

Quote:

"Mr. Davis,

I can understand your point of view on the definition of maintenance, but on the corporate side, this would relate to the maintenance schedule as per the Operators Guide. Should a dealer decide to hand the panels out, they are independent businesses and can decide to do so. In your situation, your dealer is holding the line as per what is stipulated in the letter that was sent to all owners and there is nothing that can be done on the Can-Am side to change your dealer's decision. "

2012/8/1 Randy Davis

Hi Roy,

I think that the confusion lies on the definition of maintenance. Must the maintenance be paid for or does the computer software update and fault code investigation they completed qualify? It is not a big deal to me but there is a lot of confusion in the Spyder community over this issue as some dealers hand them out, others install as part of warranty work and others will only do if they do an oil change (naturally the coupon is required in all events).
    Last edited by bluestratos; 08-01-2012 at 11:32 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    Well FMS (my dealer) called me back twice today and left messages on my phone. The first message was that he had called BRP and asked about these panels and what are they and such. He was told by someone at BRP that there was no new panels and that the oil filter canister was the only thing being replaced. The he said if I had any questions I was supposed to call him back.

Since I don't carry my cell phone at work, the second message was left before I even heard the first one. His 2nd message said that BRP had called him back and apologized for giving him bad information and there really were new panels. BRP told him that they had made a low key informal announcement about the panels and a lot of dealers had missed it and the way it worked is the customers need to bring in their coupon and the dealer will order it for them. They are not 'stocked'.

Bottom line..... my dealer told me to bring in the coupon and he would order the panels for me and let me know when they arrived. Now I need to find time to go to the dealer.

So to Fredericksburg Motor Sports (FMS) for following up. This is the way customer service should work.
    Who did you talk with at FMS service? Mike (Mgr), Jay, or Donnie? I'm going to try taking my coupon in as well.

Spyder Garage

FYI- There is a different part number for the bracket on the SM

The SM5 bracket kit part # is: 219800273

Spyder Garage

My new panel was installed yesterday and I watched the tech do it. The screen part simply rests on two pins and the regular oil check side panel grommet pin goes thru the round hole and holds that in place. As for the lower panel, the front two bolts when tightened, clamp down on a lip on the panel and holds it secure. On removal, all you have to do is loosen the two front bolts a bit and it slips right off! nice design! the tech simply gave me mine and I didn't need to get my oil change. He did, however have to have the coupon I received in the mail.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

I took my 2011 RT in for the most recent BUDS update and antennea bulletin. I had to pay them $28.20 labor since they had to remove my Diamond R passenger armrests in order to complete the bulletin. In addition, I was able to get the replacement panel. The tech handed it to me with the understanding that I would bring it back to them when I get my next oil change done. I prefer to do my own oil changes.

Spyder Garage

Default Update

I spoke too soon, they purposely removed the replacement grill from the kit to force me to go back and have them do the oil change!

Spyder Garage

My dealer was great.Did the 600 mile service today. I had not heard from BRP. He installed the new plate no cost and I promised to send him the paperwork from BRP when I receive it so he can be reimbursed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Picked up the Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    FYI- There is a different part number for the bracket on the SM

The SM5 bracket kit part # is: 219800273
    I just picked up my kit today -- no hassle, gave it to me over the counter, had them in stock. Just the way it should be.

The parts mgr said they had one kit for all RT's, not different for SM vs SE. The three bags of stuff had no part numbers on them at all. The instructions he gave me from BRP showed the kit part number as 219 800 255. The illustrations in the instructions clearly show a foot-operated shift lever. The individual bracket is listed inside the instructions as 705 006 822. Nowhere on the instructions does it say these are for SM or SE or make any distinction. So I'm hoping that what I have is correct and one size fits all. I'll find out when I go to put it in.

The instruction sheet itself is listed at part number 219 800 270. Make sure you get these as the procedure does not look to be totally straightforward.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

It must be a lot easier to change oil on the SM5 than the SE. I didn't seem to have that much trouble when I changed mine (other than the extreamly tight drain plug on the oil tank). The top bolt on the oil filter was a little difficult to see but that's about it. I'm going home and look at mine again just to see if there is any benifit to the panel.
    Happy Spyderlovers