Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Picked up my new oil change access panel and grill

I picked it up yesterday but I had to pay for it, they have to do the oil change to get it for free. The parts cost a little over $30 so since I do my own oil changes it was much cheaper. I picked up an oil change kit and they had already put the the new transmission cover in the box so I will get the oil changed and install the new panel when I get a chance, possibly this weekend.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can't wait to read the full report...

From the Bluestratos shop: "Under her skirts; What's new and Interesting!"
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Can't wait to read the full report...

From the Bluestratos shop: "Under her skirts; What's new and Interesting!"

Cool.. glad to hear we can just buy em' for cheap.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If I was you I would call BRP ask why you needed to pay for the panel if you don't get an oil change. How the VP of BRp announced at the Spyder event I think your dealer is pulling one over on you.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default New access body panel

Your dealer ripped you off. If you got the letter from BRP the access body is free until May31,2013 upon presentation of the voucher or the dealer can install it for a service charge or free with a oil and filter change.
    I just pick mine up today at no charge with the BRP voucher.

Spyder Garage

If I have to pay for it BRP can stick it where the sun don't shine .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Some more info I was able to gather.

1. When maintenance done by dealer, panels are automatically free of charges for consumer. If maintenance done by consumer, it is dealer's prerogative to decide if panels will be charged or not. Please note that BRP does not have control over dealer's decision to charge for panels or not.

2. Dealers don't have panels in stock, therefore it is very important to contact dealer to order panels prior to show up to dealership. Don't forget to mention that you will do the change of panels yourself. Also, reinforce that the new panels should be install at the next maintenance.

3. In terms of availability of panels at the dealership, be aware that dealer may decide to prioritize customers that will perform their maintenance at dealership.

4. 1 voucher per unit. If not installed properly or damaged during installation, it won't be replaced free of charges and/or not be covered under Warranty.

Spyder Garage

Default Stupid question of the day

Ok I have to ask, I'm the type of spyder rider that keep the dealers in business. I don't have the skills to maintain my spyder so I have the dealer do it. As I will never change my own oil, should I care about the new panels, other than making it easier for me dealer. Do the panels offer anything other benefit?

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    Ok I have to ask, I'm the type of spyder rider that keep the dealers in business. I don't have the skills to maintain my spyder so I have the dealer do it. As I will never change my own oil, should I care about the new panels, other than making it easier for me dealer. Do the panels offer anything other benefit?

Harry
    Should cut down on labor costs for you
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

I'm seeing that alot of folks are getting the voucher for the new panels my question is has anyone from Calif. received one yet? Or should I contact BRP.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    Should cut down on labor costs for you

That ain't gonna happen. Most dealers have a set price for an oil change.. you really think they're gonna LOWER that price?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    If I have to pay for it BRP can stick it where the sun don't shine .
    REally?

You wouldn't pay $30 for a newer version of the panel that makes YOUR life easier when doing your own oil changes?

It's not like they had to make this change at all, or offer the panels for free if you get it oil change done.

I'd gladly pay for a set....

Spyder Garage

I took my voucher to my local dealer. Not in stock, has to be ordered. They said it must be installed by them and they won't sell it outright. I told them I prefer to do my own oil changes and would just agree to pay for it. They agreed to install it without requiring me to have them change my oil.

Since this changes the oil change procedure, does anyone have a copy of the new one? The actual "step by step" oil change after the new panel has been installed?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan Roger View Post
    Here's probably an unpopular viewpoint:

I don't think removing the left sided tupperware from the mirrors down is a bad idea for those of us that do our own maintenance.
    By removing you can check the battery connections, ACS sensor, belt tightness, condition of clutch, exhaust integrity (cat plumbing) and whole lot of other things.
    I understand that this move was to lower dealer time (and customer charges - but I really doubt it) but I think for me these panels are pretty useless.
    JMHO
    +20

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    REally?

You wouldn't pay $30 for a newer version of the panel that makes YOUR life easier when doing your own oil changes?

It's not like they had to make this change at all, or offer the panels for free if you get it oil change done.

I'd gladly pay for a set....
    Sorry !!! I have given BRP a ton of money and if they can't toss me a bone now and again( the panel without paying for an oil change or 30 bucks or what ever price my dealer arrives at ) then I guess there will always be that one panel where the sun don't shine .

That ain't gonna happen. Most dealers have a set price for an oil change.. you really think they're gonna LOWER that price?
    +10 with you on this one .
    Happy Owner

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you have this new panel on, does that mean you don't need to pull all of the tupperware off to do your oil change?
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa Spyder View Post
    If you have this new panel on, does that mean you don't need to pull all of the tupperware off to do your oil change?
    That is my understanding.

Spyder Garage

I'll just add that as another reason that I don!t go to dealers. BUT, for those that do. You get a $300 oil change bill under old method and the same with the new panel which saves mechanic a lot of work and you're not going to question that?? If the price stays the same, then Harry makes a good point...why bother.
    Last edited by flybuddy; 07-22-2012 at 07:01 AM.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Here's probably an unpopular viewpoint:

I don't think removing the left sided tupperware from the mirrors down is a bad idea for those of us that do our own maintenance.
    By removing you can check the battery connections, ACS sensor, belt tightness, condition of clutch, exhaust integrity (cat plumbing) and whole lot of other things.
    I understand that this move was to lower dealer time (and customer charges - but I really doubt it) but I think for me these panels are pretty useless.
    JMHO
    Good point! BUT how do you check condition of clutch?
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Default New panel...

[QUOTE=Firefly;487886]REally?

QUOTE]

Absolutely not! What's the big deal with removing the panel anyway? ... it takes about 5 seconds.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=sinkhole;488338]
    REally?

QUOTE]

Absolutely not! What's the big deal with removing the panel anyway? ... it takes about 5 seconds.
    The new panel system allows you to remove that bottom panel without first removing the large side panel above.... Which technically requires removing your side mirror.

Going to save us do it yourself people a good 20 minutes.

Been a long time since I had a dealer do an oil change- so I don't know what they're charging--- but I doubt it's $300 as someone mentioned. I think they were doing them for $100 at owners event in Maggie valley.

Spyder Garage

I was talking with my dealer yesterday and was told that they are charged by BRP for the new panels. When they mail the voucher from the owner's letter to BRP, BRP then credits their parts account for what they were originally charged. That is how the dealer breaks even on the parts charge. If you don't give them the voucher, they'll not be reimbursed for it.

The BRP VP did say at the Owners Event that the panels would be free of charge when the dealer changes the oil. No mention of self-installation was made.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question New Access Panel location

I got the letter and voucher last week (live in NJ). I've read about this new access panel's location on this board: "from the mirrors down" . Are you talking about the outside of the body? what about those who've had graphics put on the body? I just got some pin striping done. Is there a visual somewhere showing exactly what panel gets replaced? I sure hope I don't have to have the added expense of having the striping done again just to make a mechanic's time doing an oil change shorter, and still be charged the same !!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by travelinjan View Post
    I got the letter and voucher last week (live in NJ). I've read about this new access panel's location on this board: "from the mirrors down" . Are you talking about the outside of the body? what about those who've had graphics put on the body? I just got some pin striping done. Is there a visual somewhere showing exactly what panel gets replaced? I sure hope I don't have to have the added expense of having the striping done again just to make a mechanic's time doing an oil change shorter, and still be charged the same !!!
    The panel is the matte black one on the bottom of the left side, just above the footpegs. It should not affect most owner's graphics.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by travelinjan View Post
    The replacement part is a new grill and the bottom matt black bottom panel.
    You don't have to replace if if you don't to, that's up to you.

Here's a pic of the new parts on the floor and the old ones on the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Default side panel...

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The panel is the matte black one on the bottom of the left side, just above the footpegs. It should not affect most owner's graphics.
    Now it all makes sense. From the earlier posts I was under the impression that the panel in question was the oil filler panel. I can see the need to improve the bottom peg area panel. That one was a stinker to remove and reinstall.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)