Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Question??? With all respect.

First of all I am not trying to put anyone down by any means... However I just don’t get it. Why a 3 wheeler "unless handicapped"? I understand the open road and all, believe me i do. But I just don’t get why you would spend the money on these bikes or a trike for that matter unless you are physically in need of one. Don’t get me wrong, when i am old and can’t hold 2 wheels up any more ill have a trike too. But i am seeing so many people that have these things for their first motorcycle "if you want to call it a bike" and i don’t understand, why? Is it that you just can’t grasp the concept of 2 wheels? If so cool, still want to enjoy the open road, cool. But what is it? Oh and before someone gets their panties in knots Yes i have ridden one, and I’ll take my road king any day of the week over one of these things... IMO you shouldn't even need a motorcycle endorsement on your lic. for this... I have a very open mind and honestly would like some corrective "respectful" feedback on this. I am NOT, by any means trying to be disrespectful to any of you all. Just wanted to know so bad that I created this account just to ask this question.

Spyder Garage

Not to be concerned, trust me, if I could hold up 2 wheels anymore (thanks lumbar vertebrae) I would be on a new GoldWing so fast it would make your Harley spin. I can only suppose that Spyders have put more people in the wind than any other recent product simply because of the relative ease of use. Can-Am calls these a roadster, and I treat mine as such. With close to 29K miles in just about 18 months this has kept me up and going. I do maintain my M licence, you just never know...

Sincerely, Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

Many of us own both two wheelers and Spyders. This would be like asking why would anyone ride a ATV when they could ride a Dirt Bike. It's a very different riding experience and a ton of fun. I have respect for all riders.

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you look at most of the polls of ownership of these Spyders you will see that the largest group are over 50 and have some type of medical issues that don't allow them to operate two wheels as safely as they once did. 75% of owners were 2 wheelers before they were 3 wheelers. I have 48 years on 2 wheels so youare not telling me anything about 2 wheels. The fact is that we feel safer on these Spyders then we do 2 wheels now. and as for the ladies, well many of them were just not physically able to handle 2 wheelers. But now they are able to have that same feeling of the open road and feel safe about it too. It really is all about safety.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Many of us own both two wheelers and Spyders. This would be like asking why would anyone ride a ATV when they could ride a Dirt Bike. It's a very different riding experience and a ton of fun. I have respect for all riders.
    I agree 1000%, for me it is a different kind of fun and I love the horsepower!
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

My wife can't hold up 2 wheels but, with her Spyder, she can ride with me. They are fun to ride and she can whip me 0 to 90 any day of the week. It is good that you found SpyderLovers. This is the place to be when you want to continue the "wind in your face" life and can no longer do it on 2 wheels.
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I have both, Ride both but I'm at a stage in life where i like to ride relaxed, and the Trike does that for me ;ie, I don't have to look at the weather i just ride. [every day all year]
    Same with my ATV's That's why when i off road i mostly take my Side by.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am 41 and not handicapped and I would not trade my 2012 RS-S for any loud Harley out there. It is funny though only people that are jerks to me on my spyder are Harley owners, why is that.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Speaking for myself only and not for the general owners of the Spyder I can say that after riding two wheelers for over 35 years the Spyder is is the most fun I have ever had on two or three wheels. Let me explain, I have loved motorcycling for a long time, have owened BMW, Harley Davidson, Moto Guzzi and Ducati brands along with a slew of Japanese bikes. They were all great and different in their own ways. Some had issues that were a pain to deal with and others were unbelievable. So why do I ride the Spyder? It's fun! It handles differently but to me better than a two wheeler, and it allows me to take my wife with me on rides. Also as I get older (still fit, no issues that would keep me off of a two wheeler) I do worry about the drivers of cages more. When I started riding motorcycles in the 1970's the population of the US was around 170 million and no cell phones or texting. Now you have a population of over 350 million, lots of distracted drivers, increased aggression and a general disregard to sharing the road. I don't know about you but the days of riding cross country without seeing more than two or three other vehicles on the road are over. More and more we as motorcyclists of any type come off rather badley in an accident. The greater visibility, stability in all weather conditions and presence of the Spyder is a factor in why I am now on my second Spyder. I would not go back to two wheels. I do not really mind what others think about me or my ride as long as they just leave me to my hobby without the need to try to convert me back. To each their own! Ride safe and often no matter what you ride!

Spyder Garage

I just turned 49 a few days ago, I work a full time job, have a cattle farm, my second job. my latest bike was a yamaha raider 113cid. I also ride a bull 3-6 times a year. have had my share of bumps and broken bones from this. No where near handicapped, yet. I just love the way the spyder rides and handles.
    Hot Wheels loves to ROCK!

Spyder Garage

Default Why Not

Why do people.....
    ride a Harley?
    Wear Wrangler jeans and not Levi's ?
    like the color blue and not green
    prefer dogs to cats
    like to stay up late and some people like the morning

You can ask why do you do whatever you do a million times. My question to you is why does it matter?
    What would this world be like if there was only one of every thing? Pretty boring no? Be who your gonna be
    and the next time a non Harley bike rider passes you on the road just wave...its a simple as that.
    Very Happy Owner!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

A guy came up to me the other day with the exact same questions. This is more or less what i told him. Asked to go try a ride day if he ever has the chance. He was quite rude and ingnorant unlike the op here. Same thoughts just very different way to convey them.

I got my spyder orignally as my back and shoulder has issues. I am glad i tried the spyder love the way it rydes. I would have bought one a long time ago if i had just given it a chance.

Josh

Spyder Garage

Default Strange but true

Quote Originally Posted by QTSPYDER View Post
    I am 41 and not handicapped and I would not trade my 2012 RS-S for any loud Harley out there. It is funny though only people that are jerks to me on my spyder are Harley owners, why is that.
    We have been treated better and with more respect by HD riders than anyone else. We have experienced more snubs and rudeness from Spyder riders than anyone else. And that's been true all over the map. Well, one exception was Daytona, thankfully.

Patrick
    Last edited by Pandy; 07-20-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You asked a very good question; even if your motives are a bit suspect...
    My Missus and I don't "ride on two" anymore for many reasons; the most relevant one to this discussion, is that we ride a Spyder because we can, and we enjoy the non "cookie-cutter" experience of being on something different!

Now... Why are you only on a Road King? I've ridden them and quite frankly; the Ultra Classic is a much nicer bike! Don't get me wrong; they're not a bad ride for somebody who can't afford a real Harley, but c'mon... REALLY??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have been snowmobiling since 1972. Finally found a way to ride in the summer months!

Spyder Garage

I can see a fair few have already provided their personal reasons. I'm happy to share mine too. I'm not a "biker" and have never owned bikes. I've been lucky enough to have a number of "fun" fast cars and wanted something fun that was a bit more open to the elements. I don't have any physical limitations, but as a Dad and a business owner, i don't want any either, so i felt for me a Sypder was a safe compromise. I have an RT-S, feel very secure and stable on it, have confidence ( as much as you can) that other road users can see me, my family don't worry as a novice i'm going to come off it on the first rainy day and i don't feel i am taking any undue risk with my responsibilities to be healthy to run my business.

A lot of the above is because i've never ridden bikes ( i'm 42 so not over the hill just yet), so to start now, as a novice would be more "risky", I'm not suggesting for a moment that experienced bikers are automatically at risk, if you have the experience then i accept a bike can be relatively safe.

Finally even if it isn't as fast as a Hyabusa, doesn't handle as well as a sport bike and doesn't get as many mpg as a cruiser, it makes me smile, i look forward to being out riding it and it gives me a different experience to being behind the wheel of a car. If I was a bit braver, less worried about "risk" then I'm sure a bike would be an option, and who knows, maybe an even more fun option, but i genuinely couldn't be happier with my Spyder and love those few hours a week i get to switch off and head out for a ride.

We are so lucky nowadays that their is choice for everyone. I know having never ridden a bike, i'm not qualified to critique it's merits, but equally, until you have done 500+ miles on a Spyder and learnt to ride it, the same applies. My first test drive on one and i felt really quite awkward. I stuck at it and now it feels totally natural.

Al.

oh, i should add, here in the UK, you don;t need a bike licence for a Spyder, just a regular drivers licence.
    Last edited by AJKOK1; 07-20-2012 at 06:22 AM.
    2015 F3-S Magnesium - CannonBall Seat fitted but a few other bits still on back order

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post I guess I'm the demographic your talking about

Saw my first Spyder in Jan. 2010 when I was 38 and it captivated my attention and sent my imagination into overdrive at what I was seeing. Your right about it NOT being a bike, its NOT, its a FUN MACHINE!

With the Y layout, you can't lay down a Spyder like you can a 2 wheeler, so I'd have to agree with others about the safety aspect being so apeeling and for me a determining factor.

Growing up, I had a buddy at 19 that laid his crotch-rocket down at 60mph after he hit some gravel that he didn't see and he got lucky, only lost his left leg right below the knee-cap. I swore back then, I'd never risk my life like that and never once have I been on a two wheeler and I have no desire whatsoever to do so.

For over 2 years now, and two Spyders, Teddy & I have been racking up over 40,000 miles of smiles, so much so, that my face usually always hurts from smiling so damn much And wherever we go, we have smiling faces looking right back at us. We've met so many wonderful people all over the country, all thanks to the wonderful machine we call a Spyder. Thank You BRP

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well let's see if he actually comes back and responds to some of OUR quesitons before completely dismissing him...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm not a Spyder owner yet but I too am in that demographic you're referring to. I'm 34 and in excellent physical condition but I have never owned a 2-wheeler. As a father with 2 young children the Spyder is my only consideration due to the safety versus 2-wheelers. In addition, I've seen motorcycles all my life and only ever had a passing interest but the first time I saw a Spyder I was instantly smitten.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Have you ever wanted to own something that very few people have and still have the respect of most of the people you meet? Have you ever wanted to be seen with sweet and sexy lady that you love and adore? And believe me, the Spyder IS a spoiled lady with her own built in nanny. . No offense dude, the Spyder is a Southern Belle made in Canada, eh, whereas the big boy bikes are butch. Now, I've never said that to any of the members of my biker club because I think my false teeth are sexy too. But at least I have teeth. And I have a Spyder, too.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

DITTO!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harley rider View Post
    First of all I am not trying to put anyone down by any means... However I just don’t get it. Why a 3 wheeler "unless handicapped"? I understand the open road and all, believe me i do. But I just don’t get why you would spend the money on these bikes or a trike for that matter unless you are physically in need of one. Don’t get me wrong, when i am old and can’t hold 2 wheels up any more ill have a trike too. But i am seeing so many people that have these things for their first motorcycle "if you want to call it a bike" and i don’t understand, why? Is it that you just can’t grasp the concept of 2 wheels? If so cool, still want to enjoy the open road, cool. But what is it? Oh and before someone gets their panties in knots Yes i have ridden one, and I’ll take my road king any day of the week over one of these things... IMO you shouldn't even need a motorcycle endorsement on your lic. for this... I have a very open mind and honestly would like some corrective "respectful" feedback on this. I am NOT, by any means trying to be disrespectful to any of you all. Just wanted to know so bad that I created this account just to ask this question.
    Honestly I think your comment is just what it is "Disrespectful". That's the most twisted reasoning I've ever heard. My husband rides one of the fastest bikes out there and he's darn good at it, however, he saw the logic in me riding a trike in oppose to a 2 wheel bike primarily because of the high(er) risk factor.. Duh, 2 wheels vs. 3 wheels which would be logically safetest, but still getting the same outside adrenaline rush experience - you do the math. I do think you're being disrepectul and fecitious with that comment. Your preference is your preference but don't knock someone elses preference. I feel a lot of negative comments regarding the spyder, such as this one, stem from jealous people, not being able to afford the spyder, so they knock those who can. So please take your negative comments to another board, this is not the place for it. GO SPYDER!!!!!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) pslawing's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We've had 5 Harley's living at our house over the years. My husband has the latest, new Road King. I have always been intrigued by the spyder since they came out, but I didn't like the sport bike riding position. When the RT came out, I was hooked. Have you rode one??? The test ride was the most fun I'd ever had on a bike. Now that I have my spyder. We both ride me and my spyder and him and his Harley! We're having the time of our lives!

Spyder Garage

Just got back and saw some of the comments here and it makes me sad and a little angry. This guy was respectful in his post so why not show him the same respect. When you come back with some of the comments I've read here you're just asking for a confrontational response. I hope you would consider editing or deleting those comments.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why can't we give the guy a little room to ask his questions? He's already stated that someday he'll be on a trike...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-20-2012 at 07:11 AM.