Spyder Garage

Default A revisit to the dealer

Today I went to my local dealer to get my 3000 mile service...had about 3400 miles. I like my dealer and he has a good rep. They took care of the bike, showed me some things to improve the shocks, put in the new oil filter, even gave me a loaner to get something to eat and washed my bike when they were done. Then they came out and said they noticed that the fuel gage was jumping all over the place and they could put a new one in which wouldn't do that...at no cost. I said sure and they made the switch. Cool!

Except that on the way home (a 50 mile ride) the new fuel gage was stuck on full the entire time (including another 50 mile ride I made later in the day) and the low fuel light goes on and off sporadically. Obviously the new fuel gage isn't quite working...right. I'm going to call them in the morning and see what they say. Shouldn't have a problem...we're going to the dealer on Saturday for a Spyder Ryders of America Central Florida Chapter meeting and cookout and I'm sure they'll fix it then.

Of course, maybe I should just have the thing disconnected and go to the digital fuel gauge. Do they have a clock that would fit where the fuel gauge is now?
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

guess they were serious when they said that they could "put one on that would not do all that moving around!"

I have to say that I have noticed mine, while not jumping (yet) - used to go from the full mark to empty. Now, when I fill it up it goes to pointing lost straight up (way past full).
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad to thear that they're taking good care of you!
    Please let us know if this is an adjustment or replacement of the gauge... Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

For what its worth! I have had two separate fuel gauges put in my 2010 RT-S. Neither solved the 'bouncy needle" problem. I finally disconnected the gauges and am now using the digital ones. A 1000% improvement over the analog gas gauge. The issues you mention indicate a bad install or another faulty gauge.

Please keep us posted.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yes, you can buy just about any type of aftermarket gauge or clock you want to replace your analog fuel and temp guages.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Disconnected my analog gauges the minute I got the RT home.... they are worthless... digital much better. Have not decided what to replace them with.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had mine disconnected at the 600 mi service and happy I did. Dale

Spyder Garage

Hey All !!

It just amazes me that with all the sophisticated, high tech computer stuff that BRP put into the Spyder,
    they add analog fuel & temp gauges. Especially when both readings are digital on the speedo cluster.
    Could of used that space for a 12v accessory plug or something (which is exactly what I did when I removed those gauges ).

Tommy J.
    Last edited by fireplug98; 07-20-2012 at 03:57 PM.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Flight Risk's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    Today I went to my local dealer to get my 3000 mile service...had about 3400 miles. I like my dealer and he has a good rep. They took care of the bike, showed me some things to improve the shocks, put in the new oil filter, even gave me a loaner to get something to eat and washed my bike when they were done. Then they came out and said they noticed that the fuel gage was jumping all over the place and they could put a new one in which wouldn't do that...at no cost. I said sure and they made the switch. Cool!

Except that on the way home (a 50 mile ride) the new fuel gage was stuck on full the entire time (including another 50 mile ride I made later in the day) and the low fuel light goes on and off sporadically. Obviously the new fuel gage isn't quite working...right. I'm going to call them in the morning and see what they say. Shouldn't have a problem...we're going to the dealer on Saturday for a Spyder Ryders of America Central Florida Chapter meeting and cookout and I'm sure they'll fix it then.

Of course, maybe I should just have the thing disconnected and go to the digital fuel gauge. Do they have a clock that would fit where the fuel gauge is now?
    Same thing here. First fuel gauge flipped around like a windshield wiper. Second fuel gauge was stuck way up above the fill mark and never moved. Third time they installed a complete dash gauge cluster...........Lord
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Drift HD 720 digital video camera w/ remote
    Russell Day-Long Custom Seat and Driver backrest
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka Stage 1 Plus Shocks
    Original Grip Buddies
    Seal Floorboards DLX
    Two Brothers Exhaust
    GloRyders with remote
    Zumo 660 GPS
    2011 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Are the digital readouts any more accurate than the analog readings? Any idea on the effect on the warranty removing those gauges?
    Last edited by LLSailor; 07-20-2012 at 04:27 PM.
    Pat
    Burp(Gone, but not forgotten) - Viper Red 2012 RT-S SE5
    B-2 - Intense Red Pearl 2016 RT-S SE6
    GP - Phoenix Orange 2019 F3 LTD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LLSailor View Post
    Are the digital readouts any more accurate than the analog readings? Any idea on the effect on the warranty removing those gauges?
    I believe they are. I know they are on my snowmobiles. My SkiDoos have the same speedo cluster.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

Spyder Garage

IMO the digital gauges are much more accurate and give a truer reading than the analog.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Went to a Spyder Ryders meeting at the dealer today and had them check the gage. It was broken right out of the box and was also causing the low fuel light to come on with more than half a tank. Unfortunately, they didn't have any gages in stock with black bezels and had to order some. That's fine...I got a free hamburger out of it and the dealer topped my tank off because it's a 50 mile trip one way for me. They'll call me when the new gage comes in. If the third one still doesn't work right, I'll have the think disconnected and probably put a clock in it's place.

Not unhappy, really...the dealer's taking care of me just fine and I can work around a faulty fuel gage with no problems until the new one comes in. Hell, my V Star 1300T didn't have a fuel gage at all.

We'll see how it goes. At least my wife and I had a fun 140 mile ryde today...

Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC