Spyder Garage

Default The Hindle finally blew, so what to do?

Well ... my hindle finally gave up the ghost so I was left with one of 2 options as I saw things .... buy a new prefabbed exhaust, or build my own. Build my own, I am not mechanical ... and the exhausts out there are anywhere from $300 dollars and up .... what to do ... what to do ... well .. after a little soul searching, a few threads on the subject, and the advice of someone who has done this ...I won't mention any names COZ .....I decided to go the route of building my own exhaust .....

Parts: Thrush 2.25 in/out glasspack
    90 deg elbow removed from the hindle
    Resonated Bolt on tip
    Exhaust wrap
    1 can 2000 deg black matte paint
    round duct hanger
    Welding( I had mine welded at a local muffler shop)

I will post a video when I can, all I can say is even though this was time consuming( 1/2 day maybe from start to finish with all the running to get the parts, letting the paint dry, letting the exhaust wrap cure) it was by far one of the easiest mods I have done, not to mention very satisfying. I did not baffle the exhaust any as others have done, and though it is louder than the hindle, due to the length and position of the exhaust tip, I actually feel like it is quieter for the ryder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stutzmason; 07-19-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stutzmason View Post
    Well ... my hindle finally gave up the ghost so I was left with one of 2 options as I saw things .... buy a new prefabbed exhaust, or build my own. Build my own, I am not mechanical ... and the exhausts out there are anywhere from $300 dollars and up .... what to do ... what to do ... well .. after a little soul searching, a few threads on the subject, and the advice of someone who has done this ...I won't mention any names COZ .....I decided to go the route of building my own exhaust .....

Parts: Thrush 2.25 in/out glasspack
    90 deg elbow removed from the hindle
    Resonated Bolt on tip
    Exhaust wrap
    1 can 2000 deg black matte paint
    round duct hanger
    Welding( I had mine welded at a local muffler shop)

I will post a video when I can, all I can say is even though this was time consuming( 1/2 day maybe from start to finish with all the running to get the parts, letting the paint dry, letting the exhaust wrap cure) it was by far one of the easiest mods I have done, not to mention very satisfying. I did not baffle the exhaust any as others have done, and though it is louder than the hindle, due to the length and position of the exhaust tip, I actually feel like it is quieter for the ryder.
    I did the same thing for my wife, less the tip. She loves it. It ran okay with the O2 modifier, but I put a Power Commander 5 with auto tune on it and she says it runs better than the day we bought it.

Spyder Garage

Default nice work

good job stutz. turned out great. fun project isn't it? you got to skip all my R&D too. i look forward to hearing it with that tip. ps, you just paid yourself a few hundred for half a days work
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

If that stops cutting it for you...... I highly recommend HMF ....... $240.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Love to see the creativity, I have made a few myself and currently have a chopped stock exhaust from a 3rd party. However, +1 on the HMF, I have one on my Buell 1125CR which is also a Rotax and it's a great can! It's done some track time and shows no wear.
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Had I gone with a prefabbed can it most definately would have been the HMF, however, I am so in love with the sound that rumbles from my spyder now, I don't see myself going back in the near future. I might get a wild hair and play with some different things, but this new pipe sounds "sick".

Spyder Garage

Default +1

Attaboy!!! i have to give credit to amtjim. he guided me thru my exhaust build last summer. it's very gratifying when someone likes your design enough to make their own version of it. very cool.
    Last edited by coz; 07-20-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default sound byte

This video really doesn't do this thing justice but here it is!!!

Last edited by stutzmason; 07-23-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That sound about like it figures that you owe it money, and I'ts coming to collect!
    Very nice...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default exhaust

sounds good sounds fast sounds niiiiiccccce

Spyder Garage

Default It might just be my imagination but ...

it seems to me like there is some power restored to the Spyder that the Hindle was robbing it of. I have actually spun the rear tire a few time (accidentally of course ) . And possibly some gas savings as well!! ...I need to get a gew tanks of gas run through it to be sure of the mps.

Spyder Garage

Does anyone know of a stock 909 degree pipe you can use instead of chopping the one off the Hindle? My Hindle is dying but still ok. Was thinking about making one of these to "play" with and switch back to the Hindle when I want her to be a little more quite.

Spyder Garage

Default stock 90

you can get a car 90 ° elbow at any auto parts for ten bucks. i think i used a 2 1/2 inch. you will need to have it opened up a little on the engine end, which midas or car x will do for free.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    you can get a car 90 ° elbow at any auto parts for ten bucks. i think i used a 2 1/2 inch. you will need to have it opened up a little on the engine end, which midas or car x will do for free.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear.

Spyder Garage

Well I finally got around to doing mine. I used a Magnaflow pipe. I have not painted it yet due to the fact that I want to get it tuned and be sure I am happy with it before putting anymore time into the project.

So far I like it.

Last edited by BLUEZL600EFI; 02-28-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

The technicals are a bit out of my realm. But I like the looks for sure.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEZL600EFI View Post
    Well I finally got around to doing mine. I used a Magnaflow pipe. I have not painted it yet due to the fact that I want to get it tuned and be sure I am happy with it before putting anymore time into the project.

So far I like it.

In general I am not one for loud pipes. But I must say 2 things:

First, when I played your video my 2 pugs jumped up and ran around the table barking like mad

Second, I love the sound of that pipe

Nice work, don't forget to update us when it is all painted up.
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Great job..!!

Looks and sounds like the hard work paid off. Congrats..!! When my hindel gives up the ghost I will go your route.. Thanks..
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe silly question, can't you just simply drill off the rivets and repack the Hindle? I like the looks of the BRP Hindle but didn't think they'd blow out so easily.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default nice work blue

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEZL600EFI View Post

So far I like it.

that pipe sounds great, a little deeper than mine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Maybe silly question, can't you just simply drill off the rivets and repack the Hindle? I like the looks of the BRP Hindle but didn't think they'd blow out so easily.
    You could yes, but where is the fun in that? I think it sounds much better now. The Hindle seemed to crackle more, this is a much throaty, deeper, rumble sound.

Like I said I may just use it for around town and riding with my Harley buddies. I would use my Hindle for longer trips and riding with the wife. (Unless thing runs like a raped ape after it's tuned). Then I may have trouble taking it off.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

These are some awesome sounding exhausts. .. great job guys. .I see coz is inspiring everybody. . Lol. I think I might try to build one of these myself.