Spyder Garage

Default Importing a Spyder from the States?

Just wondering if anyone has brought a Spyder into Canada from The States. Are the used prices low enough to make this worth while?

Is it possible to convert an American Spyder's dash over to KPH?
    Last edited by Canadian GP; 07-16-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Changing from mph to kph is easy, but any warranty is void and you should support your local Canadian dealer [you might need them someday]

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

as Steve said changing from MPH to KPH is just a mode setting. Aren't there any used Spyders available in Canada?

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian GP View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has brought a Spyder into Canada from The States. Are the used prices low enough to make this worth while?
    How will the taxes get you?!

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteve View Post
    Changing from mph to kph is easy, but any warranty is void and you should support your local Canadian dealer [you might need them someday]
    and Having a good relationship with your local dealer is very important.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

It looks like they have you covered. that purchasing local would be best for warranty service though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I don't know about bringing a vehicle from US to Canada, but I know it's nearly impossible to bring one from Canada to the US. Years ago, a few of us all bought new Volvo's from a dealer outside of Toronto and brought them over the border to our homes. At that time is was just pay the taxes and away you go. Not so any more. So, good luck with your adventure!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian GP View Post

Is it possible to convert an American Spyder's dash over to KPH?
    I've been wondering the same thing and am looking into it. The wife is dual licensed as a customs broker for USA/CAN and will only charge me disbursements...either way I will post the fees associated with such an import....

As for supporting your local dealership - my closest dealership is 45-60 minutes away.....

Spyder Garage

I don't think it is that hard to do. You need to fill out the RIV with customs before you get to the border and I think it's duty free but you need to pay GST. Prices in the US are about 20-30% less than Canada However your warranty is void and I was told dealers won't do recalls and updates on imports.

Spyder Garage

your warranty is only good in the usa.My daughter and son in law buy all their motorcycles in the us but have to take them back for warranty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by waytootall67 View Post
    I don't think it is that hard to do. You need to fill out the RIV with customs before you get to the border and I think it's duty free but you need to pay GST. Prices in the US are about 20-30% less than Canada However your warranty is void and I was told dealers won't do recalls and updates on imports.
    The Mrs is a licensed customs broker - she has indicated that the fees are as follows:

Ministry of Transportation registration fee - in Ontario it's $299.00 plus GST

Federal and provincial tax.

No duty - but paperwork can take anywhere from 5-10 business days

JR

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

However your warranty is void and I was told dealers won't do recalls and updates on imports.

Spyder Garage

Below is from a 25 page thread on another motorcycle forum.. Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada

What to do before you import?

- Make sure your vehicle is admissible and can be modified to meet Canadian requirements by checking Transport Canada’s List of Admissible Vehicles (this list includes passengers cars, trucks, vans, jeeps, chassis cabs, trailers, motorcycles, and snowmobiles less than 15 years old; off-road vehicles manufactured after May 1, 1988 and buses manufactured after Jan. 1, 1971. www.riv.ca (1-888-848-8240)

- Contact the original equipment manufacturer or authorized dealer of your vehicle to obtain a recall clearance letter (YOU MUST HAVE THIS DOCUMENT IN ORDER TO PASS THE FEDERAL INSPECTION)

- Make sure you have the required documentation: title documents, registration, sales receipts, statement of compliance label and manufacturer’s recall clearance letter.

- Find out about any additional provincial or territorial requirements, such as safety inspections and emissions tests.

- Arrange for insurance.

- Present your vehicle along with original title docs to US Customs prior (72 hours) to entering Canada. www.cbp.gov
    You must fax or email the title( if used ) or certificate of origin ( if new ) to the US customs at border minimum 72 hours before. Make sure that you print a fax confirmation page and present it to the border officer later.

- If you are importing a trailer you may call RIV to have your VIN number verified ahead of time.

What to do at the border?

- produce your title documents, registration and sales receipts.

- Complete Vehicle Import Form- Form 1 which will be provided by CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency formally Customs) this form must be kept with vehicle until it is licensed.

- CBSA will check vehicle against Transport Canada’s list of admissible vehicles they will also verify the public VIN #’s and manufacturer’s statement of compliance label to ensure a match.

- CBSA will facilitate the payment of your nonrefundable RIV fee of $182 in all provinces except Quebec where it is $197.

- Payment for the RIV fee may be made directly to CBSA with major credit cards CBSA DOES NOT ACCEPT CASH OR CHEQUES FOR THE RIV FEE.

What to do after the vehicle enters Canada?

- Within 10 days, you should receive a letter from RIV with your inspection docs (form 2) which details what must be done to bring your vehicle into compliance.

- It is your responsibility to complete the necessary mods within 45 days (they can be preformed by the garage of your choice)

- Make sure you keep receipts of all your modification work

- The RIV has contracted Canadian Tire to perform their federal inspections.

- When you pass the inspection they inspection center will stamp your form 1 and you will have to present this paper work to the licensing authority

- If the vehicle fails the inspection within the 45 days it will have to be exported.

Common Modifications?

Motorcycles
    - recall clearance letter
    - U.S statement of compliance (S.O.C Label) at the border
    - The RIV will mail a Canadian statement of compliance label to you after passing the federal inspection
    - Valid alpha-numeric 17-digit VIN
    - Metric speedometer and odometer labels (provided by inspection centre)
    - All lights on

Restricted-Use Motorcycles

- Recall clearance letter
    - Off-road statement label
    - Reflectors

Numbers you’ll need?

Registrar of Imported Vehicles
    1-888-848-8240
    www.riv.ca
    info@riv.ca

Canada Border Service Agency
    1-800-461-9999 (English)
    1-800-959-2036 (French)
    www.cbsa.gc.ca

Transport Canada
    1-800-333-0371
    (613) 998-4831 (fax)
    www.tc.gc.ca

United States Customs
    www.cbp.gov
    Last edited by nhoj; 08-31-2012 at 07:42 AM. Reason: updated links

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Importing

I just bought a used 2010 RT-S in Conneticut last week. All the above looks like a lot of work but it's not really. Hardest thing was the RIV report, that took 2 days.
    I looked for a Spyder RT here in Canada and the cheapest I could find was in Calgary at 23K for a 2010.

We paid just under 18K out the door with 19000kms on it.

Crossed over back into Canada on Monday afternoon, it's now Wednesday at 5:30pm ( Toronto time ) and it's legally on the road insured and plated ready for the wife to ride.

Canadians can not buy new Spyders in the States unless they have a valid US drivers license and live there. ( we tried )

Easy Breezy !!

Thanks
    Last edited by Questions; 09-12-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: not finished

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

All of the above sounds right! I just wonder why when this machine is built here in my home province, I have to pay 4k more then the same spyder in New York When I was at SITA the dealer said the RT limited 2012 was 4k cheaper then what we paid in Quebec, but can am made them sign an agreement that they cannot sell to Canadians! What the is up with that!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Just an FYI..........it has gotten to the point where several dealers in the London area anyway (?) go to the States purchase used motorcycles, used ATV's and used Snowmobiles. They then bring them back and pedal them on the dealership floor. So although as much as possible, whenever possible I buy local it does beg the question, why can they (dealers) do it with impunity but an individual should "keep it at home"?

It is especially attractive right now because of the value of the US and Canadian dollar being basically on par. That and also the US market and economy has the past few years forced people to unload low mileage gently used "toys" at relatively low prices.

But again the dealers cried when consumers did it to them............but it seems OK for them to shop south?
    2011 RTS SM5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Netminder View Post
    All of the above sounds right! I just wonder why when this machine is built here in my home province, I have to pay 4k more then the same spyder in New York When I was at SITA the dealer said the RT limited 2012 was 4k cheaper then what we paid in Quebec, but can am made them sign an agreement that they cannot sell to Canadians! What the is up with that!
    Try to buy a Cdn. built car in the states and see what happens

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    your warranty is only good in the usa.My daughter and son in law buy all their motorcycles in the us but have to take them back for warranty
    Have they tried this with a Spyder?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default import

Quote Originally Posted by Netminder View Post

The reason they can't sell to Canadians is when the US $ was at 1.60 most Americans were coming to Canada to buy a Spyder saving .60 cents on the dollar. So the US dealers started complaing to BRP, hence the reason us Canadians can't but new in the USA.
    Told to me a month ago by a US dealer.

Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default importing

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteve View Post
    Have they tried this with a Spyder?

They can only buy a used spyder, not new, and if it comes with a warranty they must take it back to where they bought it from in the USA.

Spyder Garage

Cheaper to buy in Canafa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk