Spyder Garage

Default apparently, it's the Spyder.....

earlier this week, I had posted that I thought I had used up too much of the battery, causing the Spyder to not start....well, after four days on the charger, it wont start!! the first time I turned it on, I thought it was going to start, but instead, everything turned off........now it's all off....however, the battery is fully charged!!!! unless someone here can come up with a logical slution, it's going to the dealer next week!! I checked everything.......it's dead!! turn the key and nothing comes on dead!!!!

Spyder Garage

Just curious--did you check the kill switch? Been there, done that.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Make sure that it is not in gear. If it is you need to depress the brake peddle to start and it will go into neutral. Scratched my head a few times with that and the kill switch before.

Spyder Garage

same here on the being in gear, my service tech still likes to rib me about my frantic phone call, hope it is that simple for you.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by epiphysis View Post
    earlier this week, I had posted that I thought I had used up too much of the battery, causing the Spyder to not start....well, after four days on the charger, it wont start!! the first time I turned it on, I thought it was going to start, but instead, everything turned off........now it's all off....however, the battery is fully charged!!!! unless someone here can come up with a logical slution, it's going to the dealer next week!! I checked everything.......it's dead!! turn the key and nothing comes on dead!!!!

Maybe check the battery cables for tightness? Any clicking or life on the cluster?

Josh

Spyder Garage

I have forgot about the kill switch before because someone move the switch an i did not know it.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Bad frame ground, faulty kill switch, bad relay, blown fuse, bad security module or key, bad clutch switch for SM or bad GPS for SE...the list goes on. You need a tech to systematically troubleshoot and find the fault. BUDS can help for some of it. This can't be done over the Internet...at least not without more information.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 07-13-2012 at 09:45 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

loose relays
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Spyder Garage

it's not the kill switch.....
    the SE5 trans should start in any gear....it will go to neutral once it has started...
    the lead for the battery tender is giving me 13.5 volts, so I am guessing the battery leads should be ok.......
    it seems to me to be a sensor or relay......
    when I started it today, it turned on and got to the point where I had to push the mode button...then when I pushed the start button it died...everything turned off as though I had turned off the key...and I even waited and it continued to be off.....

I guess we will have to see what the dealer says....
    Last edited by epiphysis; 07-14-2012 at 01:47 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck, and please let us know what is found...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That is sounding a lot like there is not enough juice - that is the same symptoms I always get when I have drained the battery by playing the radio for hours on end when I am working on the unit (I know, not good for the battery) - however I will admit there is a lot of other things that could still be in play here that are not the battery. Try putting a jump battery on and see if the extra juice helps (that will at least prove out that it is not an issue on enough battery power). Chargers alone won't necessarily do it - you need a jump unit or battery to do this. Make sure you have good contact on the pos and neg connectors (and like others said check the tightness on the battery leads as they can come loose.
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Spyder Garage

im with maney of the others loose battery wires,you said you dont think its that .but you need to check put a wrence on the cable and give it a turn ,ive found mine loose many times.try that befor you take it to the dealer.and i mean the ones on the battery not that jumper under the seat.i know its not that essey to get to the battery but you need to check it.

Spyder Garage

first of all, thanks for the suggestions....you all encouraged me to do what I needed to do........I checked the battery connections.....they were tight!!!! then I looked at the main fuse...the one that is on the hot line coming out of battery......it's a 60 A fuse...I literally took it out and put it back in......it was fine........then......the friggin bike started!!!! WTF!!!! I called the service guy at the dealership and he was somewhat comfused, too, but did suggest that I bring it down to them next week, which I will do........then I went for a short ride and it was fine...then I turned it off and on and off and on..........a few times and it worked every time!!!!!!! I am thinking about bringing that fuse out to allow me to get at it......we'll see!!!!

Spyder Garage

It just MAY have been the fuse not sitting well and all it needed was what you did. I would not run to the dealer so fast, but that's just me. If it happens again, remove the fuse again and repeat what you did the first time.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    It just MAY have been the fuse not sitting well and all it needed was what you did. I would not run to the dealer so fast, but that's just me. If it happens again, remove the fuse again and repeat what you did the first time.
    I'm just going to the dealer so they can hook it up to the computer and make sure everything else is ok.....I did not ever get a malfunction code for anything!!!! and I'm thinking of rigging the fuse so I can get to it without taking everything off!!!! I did put some dielectric grease on the fuse......

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Keep the meter on the battery

Keep the meter on the battery and try to crank her. If the voltage stays up it's not the battery but if it drops waaaaay down, it's time for a new one.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sidetrack View Post
    Keep the meter on the battery and try to crank her. If the voltage stays up it's not the battery but if it drops waaaaay down, it's time for a new one.
    It happen to me last week, it drop to 4 volts. Guess what , I am the proud owner of a new battery

Spyder Garage

the wife and I went for a nice ride today.....made two stops.....no problems....no fault codes!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by epiphysis View Post
    the wife and I went for a nice ride today.....made two stops.....no problems....no fault codes!!!!
    Since your in Ohio, do you sometimes ride in the winter, if so it could have been some corrosion on the contract points of the fuse and working it in and out cleaned it.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Campverdefela View Post
    Since your in Ohio, do you sometimes ride in the winter, if so it could have been some corrosion on the contract points of the fuse and working it in and out cleaned it.
    I just got the bike a few months ago.......it's kept in the part of the garage that gets heat and air conditioning.....darn spoiled bike!!!! but who knows where it was before I got it!!!!