Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Extra Storage for RT

After a couple of long trips on our RT, my wife and I have decided that we can get along without a trailer. Having said that, we do not have any storage space to spare. What we are looking for is some method to store/secure our helmets, jackets and overpants while we site see, eat lunch, etc. along the way to our next nightly stop. We really don't want to leave the gear laying across the seat, etc and don't want to wear it or carry it with us either. Any ideas out there about extra storage that can be secured to the spyder RT??

All ideas appreciated
    BigLefty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigLefty View Post
    After a couple of long trips on our RT, my wife and I have decided that we can get along without a trailer. Having said that, we do not have any storage space to spare. What we are looking for is some method to store/secure our helmets, jackets and overpants while we site see, eat lunch, etc. along the way to our next nightly stop. We really don't want to leave the gear laying across the seat, etc and don't want to wear it or carry it with us either. Any ideas out there about extra storage that can be secured to the spyder RT??

All ideas appreciated
    BigLefty
    Some have added a hitch and used it for mounting additional storage. Just be aware the hitch has a 40 lb weight limit.

Do a search and I'm sure you'll find those who have posted about their mod.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Pakit Rak is one option. Another would be to get something like a Helen2Wheels clothes bad, and fold it up in your saddlebag when riding. When you stop, stash your riding gear inside and lock the bag to your grab bars with a cable lock, Pac-safe makes a goog cable lock, or a gun lock will work. We usually use the helmet hooks under the seat of the RT for out helmets, and cable just lock our jackets to the Spyder as-is.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

When traveling and short on room, we simply put tyne gear on the seats, use two Kryptonite R4 cable locks and cover all with the travel cover. The locks help and the "out of site" idea is added protection.

http://www.bikebandit.com/kryptonite...mbination-lock
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

I recently purchased a Pakit Rak. It has a 25lb weight limit, the bag itself weighs approx 7lbs. I haven't used it yet, but will be using it for my trip to Spyder's in the Redwoods and have high hopes that it will be just what I need in lieu of the trailer. The entire rack can be removed and taken into your hotel room.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342369272.088449.jpg. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342369301.413372.jpg

Spyder Garage

RT seat has helmet locks underneath. People don't mess with biker stuff..... I just leave it out 99% of the time. Only time I lock the helmet up is if I'm in a big city where there's a lot of foot traffic.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I did the following.......went to Lowe's and got a few feet of small plastic coated wire compressible wire ends. I cut less than a foot off and made a loop......fold it over, put it thru the metal part of the helmet strap and place it on the helmet holder under the seat.......then take the rest and put a small loop in each end...using a small combination lock, I can secure my jacket to the passenger seat!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Or maybe one of Inspector Gadget's rear racks... Any decent bag could be secured to it.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    RT seat has helmet locks underneath. People don't mess with biker stuff..... I just leave it out 99% of the time. Only time I lock the helmet up is if I'm in a big city where there's a lot of foot traffic.
    Just throw your Hells Angels leather jacket over your stuff. LOL

Couldn't resist!
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydherLuv View Post
    I recently purchased a Pakit Rak. It has a 25lb weight limit, the bag itself weighs approx 7lbs. I haven't used it yet, but will be using it for my trip to Spyder's in the Redwoods and have high hopes that it will be just what I need in lieu of the trailer. The entire rack can be removed and taken into your hotel room.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342369272.088449.jpg. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342369301.413372.jpg
    Does that block your license plate?

Spyder Garage

I forgot to mention that we both use Nolan helmets that have no D-rings---have not figured out a way to lock them to anything------They need to go in a lockable bag or case or just trust that they will be OK. I really think that we could leave our stuff on the seat most of the time and it would be OK, but hate to find out different and have no good riding gear to finish a trip!

The Hell's Angel's idea might be worth a try!

Thanks for your ideas so far--please keep em coming!

BigLefty

Spyder Garage

I forgot to mention that we both use Nolan helmets that have no D-rings---have not figured out a way to lock them to anything------They need to go in a lockable bag or case or just trust that they will be OK. I really think that we could leave our stuff on the seat most of the time and it would be OK, but hate to find out different and have no good riding gear to finish a trip!

BigLefty

Duh! I could use a cable lock thru the shield opening on the full-face or modular helmets--why didn't I think of that!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Or maybe one of Inspector Gadget's rear racks... Any decent bag could be secured to it.
    Bob, I'm not familiar with Inspector Gadget--please tell me more.

Spyder Garage

BigLefty
    With a full-face helmet you can put a cable lock through the eye port. Pacsafe makes a nice, locking helmet bag. Nancy used one until she got saddlebags for her GS.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Inspector gadget rack

Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

I have Inspector Gadget's trunk rack and it is a life saver for extra gear!

Ephesians 2:8-9

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by webweaver View Post
    Does that block your license plate?
    Nope. Here is a pic taken approx 10' away with the camera at chest height.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342391490.749310.jpg

Spyder Garage

SpydherLuv, what kind of hitch do you have? Does the frame fasten securely to the hitch and the bag then fastened to the frame? Is a hitch absolutely required or do you think a mount could be fabricated? Which model do you have-- GL1800, etc.? What does the Bag, frame and cover weight?

Thanks for any additional information as this is looking like one of my best options.

BigLefty

Spyder Garage

SpydherLuv, what kind of hitch do you have? Does the frame fasten securely to the hitch and the bag then fastened to the frame? Is a hitch absolutely required or do you think a mount could be fabricated? Which model do you have-- GL1800, etc.? What does the Bag, frame and cover weight?

Thanks for any additional information as this is looking like one of my best options.

BigLefty
    I have the BRP hitch with a Pakit Rak adaptor made specifically for the Spyder. I'm not sure what everything weighs together, but maybe 10lbs or so, if even that much.

Here is a closer look at the adaptor, which is fastened to the hitch by the ball.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342414741.609859.jpg.

spacetrucker

Where did you all get the top rack for the Spyder looks great, how much lbs will it hold on top. Thks

Spyder Garage

Grandpa Spyder. Where did you get the rack? Is it easy to install?

SpyderLady

Spyder Garage

Hello, I have been using the pakit rak since about 2004 with only a couple of issues. the weight you mention is for the rak with the special receiver they make for the goldwing. The weight for our hitch is 40lb.

From thier FAQ on the web page:

Q: How much weight will the Pakit Rak / Receiver Carry?
    A: The Pakit Rak is designed to carry a maximum of 25 lbs. which includes the weight of the bag. Never exceed the maximum weight limit as stated by your motorcycle manufacturer.

Q: Will the Pakit Rak carry more weight if I use a trailer hitch?
    A: Yes: refer to the hitch manufacturer's weight limitations, BUT NEVER exceed 45 lbs which is the Rak maximum weight limitation. Never exceed the maximum weight limit as stated by your motorcycle manufacturer.

One other thing I noticed on my RT, is that when I sit on the bike, the BRP trailer hitch which is mounted to the bike does change positions and raised the Pakit Rak just a bit. Still no problem with lights and license plate.

Willy
    Last edited by billythekidd; 07-16-2012 at 08:45 AM.
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's a link to Gadget's gadgets...
    http://spyderrt.info/1_2_Products.html
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have the BRP hitch with a Pakit Rak adaptor made specifically for the Spyder. I'm not sure what everything weighs together, but maybe 10lbs or so, if even that much.

Here is a closer look at the adaptor, which is fastened to the hitch by the ball.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342414741.609859.jpg.
    Where did you get the Spyder specific items? All I see is goldwing stuff listed on their website.

Pretty cool setup.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series