Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default BR1 IS IN TROUBLE

Came home from a nice ride Wednesday. Shut BR1 off to open my barn door to put him away for the day. Started BR1 and the "check engine" check engine light came on. I thought, I had better check the oil and put him in 1st....BANG...BANG...BANG...coming from the left lower side...and I shut him off pushed him into the barn. I checked the oil and it was between add and full, so I added some....started him up, all okay in neutral until I shifted into reverse....BANG...BANG....BANG. I put him in neutral and banging stopped....put him in 1st and ....yeah, you guessed it...

Now to get him to the dealer, 50 miles away....

I am glad I have the Motor Trike for tomorrows ride....

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that all of the banging is the dreaded "limp mode". Mine did that when the throttle bodies took their last breath...
    Did you pull up the error codes to see what's giving the computers a case of the jitters?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have Best? You can get it towed to your dealer if you do.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    Came home from a nice ride Wednesday. Shut BR1 off to open my barn door to put him away for the day. Started BR1 and the "check engine" check engine light came on. I thought, I had better check the oil and put him in 1st....BANG...BANG...BANG...coming from the left lower side...and I shut him off pushed him into the barn. I checked the oil and it was between add and full, so I added some....started him up, all okay in neutral until I shifted into reverse....BANG...BANG....BANG. I put him in neutral and banging stopped....put him in 1st and ....yeah, you guessed it...

Now to get him to the dealer, 50 miles away....

I am glad I have the Motor Trike for tomorrows ride....

Bang Bang doesn't sound too good, Does the Spyder move at all when in gear??

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default Sounds like throttle body...

You've just described what my spyder sounded like when the throttle bodies acted up at Spyderfest. I was able to ride a short distance (couple of hundred feet) in 1st but 2000 RPM was the best it would go. Shut it off, tried it a few times and it was fine on the third try. Rode 20 miles each way to dinner with no problems; the next morning to gas station, no problem; filled up, started up and bang, bang, bang again. Shut her down, waited a minute, started up and was fine and headed for Cowtown. Been great since the throttle bodies were replaced. Sorry for your problems.

Diana

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

George,
    Do you know how to pull up the active codes??
    lay your left thumb across both the "Mode" and "Set" Buttons
    Take one of your other thumbs (?) and push in your turnsignal button just like you're cancelling a signal.

The main screen should bring up whatever's going on...
    Write them down and then hit "Mode" one last time to get back to the home screen.

Spyder Garage

Please keep us posted as to the outcome. Sorry to hear you are having problems with BR1.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If it runs rough and the RPMs are 2000 or more, it could very well be the TB. Before you go to dealer, see if it will start and run right when cold. If it is the TB, there really isn't anything to be alarmed about, from my experience. If you still have my number, call me.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like a throttle body problem, George. My best advice, call Dudley or call me. We've both had the problem and know what to do to fix it until you get to the dealer. I'll PM you my phone number. If it is the throttle body, it probably won't be a serious problem until your dealer can fix it and the fix should be under warranty.

Cotton

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for your ideas. Here is what I am going to do.
    1) Tomorrow, Saturday the 14th, I will jump on Punkin', my Motor Trike and ride, ride, ride!
    2) A friend will help me put BR1 on his trailer and we will take him to the dealer on Tuesday. They are closed on Monday.
    3) I called the dealer and they said bring him in Tuesday and they will get right on it. Yes, I have BEST and have great faith in Bruce, their BRP trained tech.
    4) I have never heard banging this loud....and I mean loud!
    5) I did not look at codes.... BR1 is going to the dealer...if I knew what the code was, I would not know what to do with it.
    6) I will advise outcome.

DAMN

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The best of luck to you! Please keep us informed.

Spyder Garage

There are two types of spyders, those tha have had throttle body issues or those that will have throttle body issues it seems. They have got to get this thing figured out, I am on my 3rd trip to the dealer with throttle body issues. I average less than 2000 miles between breakdowns. Continuing to replace the same parts and expecting different results is the definition of stupidity lol.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    George,
    Do you know how to pull up the active codes??
    lay your left thumb across both the "Mode" and "Set" Buttons
    Take one of your other thumbs (?) and push in your turnsignal button just like you're cancelling a signal.

The main screen should bring up whatever's going on...
    Write them down and then hit "Mode" one last time to get back to the home screen.
    You just described the Vulcan Mind Meld...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have no idea that I have a throttle body problem. I only know that BR1 banged loudly when I put him in first or reverse, but throttle response did seem affected. I did not run him and shut down immediately. As posted, I have the SE5. About a year ago, I had the software upgrade which "fixed" the TB problem.

As said earilier, I will take BR1 to the Spyder Hospital this Tuesday morning and will let all of you know what the tech says.

I rode with my happy group, The Hill Country Road Riders, this morning. Eleven of us went to breakfast at the Hondo Cafe, Hondo, TX. Punkin' ran like a hose at at slightly over the 70mph speed limit. We always take the long way around and made a 45 mile trip into 85....

Two large bacon egg tacos (with kinda hot red sauce) and sweet iced tea....what else is there??

NOTE: If you come to south Texas, the red sauce is kinda hot, the green sauce will damage your mouth and throat.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    You just described the Vulcan Mind Meld...
    Our minds are as one...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Our minds are as one...
    Now THAT'S a terrifying thought!! Two Bob-like minds??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry I am late getting back to you with the BR1 problem....Bad ECU....it is on order, will be in Wednesday or Thursday. Dealer said everything else checked out okay. I will ride BR1 next Saturday (28th) to New Berlin, TX for breakfast with my group and see how it goes. I will ride him home...probably Thursday or Friday from the dealer, 50 miles should give me a warm feeling that all will be okay Sat. on that 250 mile ride. It seems this an easy fix. I am relieved.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

draboo,
    Be wary of Vulcans bearing gifts...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that BR1's problem has been diagnosed and the fix is on the way. Let us know how it runs after your ride.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Default ECU

What is a ECU and how do they go bad?

Sorry I am late getting back to you with the BR1 problem....Bad ECU....it is on order, will be in Wednesday or Thursday. Dealer said everything else checked out okay. I will ride BR1 next Saturday (28th) to New Berlin, TX for breakfast with my group and see how it goes. I will ride him home...probably Thursday or Friday from the dealer, 50 miles should give me a warm feeling that all will be okay Sat. on that 250 mile ride. It seems this an easy fix. I am relieved.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's the brains of the box.
    I would think that some sort of voltage variance might be what would do the most damage to one of them...
    Vibration from the road maybe??
    "Sparks" could tell you more (RattiganRoger) about all of the ways that electrical circuits can get buggerd up...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Electronic Control Module (unit) is one of the seven "computers" on our Spyders. I was told "the ECU is bad and we have a new one on order." Like Bob said, there will be other's here more knowledgable who will answer your question. I can't. I do know it sure raises hell with your Spyder if it goes out....

New one should be in this week and I will report if that is the fix. What concerns me is I ride in desolate areas many times....I may stick to main roads for a while, in case I need a tow service. Hmmm, I never feel this way when on my 2002 Gold Wing trike....

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

The Electronic Control Module (unit) is one of the seven "computers" on our Spyders. I was told "the ECU is bad and we have a new one on order." Like Bob said, there will be other's here more knowledgable who will answer your question. I can't. I do know it sure raises hell with your Spyder if it goes out....

New one should be in this week and I will report if that is the fix. What concerns me is I ride in desolate areas many times....I may stick to main roads for a while, in case I need a tow service. Hmmm, I never feel this way when on my 2002 Gold Wing trike....

The ECM On my 08 bit the dust just out of the BRP warranty, BUT still in the federal warranty, I had to pay up front to expedite the repair then fight to get paid back. Still took 30 days to get a new one [two years ago]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    The ECM On my 08 bit the dust just out of the BRP warranty, BUT still in the federal warranty, I had to pay up front to expedite the repair then fight to get paid back. Still took 30 days to get a new one [two years ago]
    Bob, I bought the BEST warranty when I bought BR1 last March (2011) so I guess my cost will be nil. However, what kind of money are we talking about for a new one with NO warranty help? I am courous about these costs. The dealer said it would be arrive "Tuesday or Wednesday" but I have little faith in BRP to ship quickly...I will keep all informed as "The Spyder Turns". ha ha

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Bob, I bought the BEST warranty when I bought BR1 last March (2011) so I guess my cost will be nil. However, what kind of money are we talking about for a new one with NO warranty help? I am courous about these costs. The dealer said it would be arrive "Tuesday or Wednesday" but I have little faith in BRP to ship quickly...I will keep all informed as "The Spyder Turns". ha ha

List price is around $550.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!