GOS member (Girls On Spyders) 8LEGS's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 09 GS SE5 Brakes HELP

ok, I'm stuck, literally. Parked the spyder in the garage, set parking brake, shut spyder off, went inside to grab helmet and other items for ride. started spyder, released parking brake, but spyder won't move.

Grabbed a 12mm wrench and a 16mm socket to check out parking brake adjustment, but nothing is doing the trick. No error codes so I believe it's mechanical.?.?

I should add, the parking brake seems loose, it clicks to set it and releases fine but just feels loose.

What do I need to check next? I would get it to the dealer to have them look at it, but as it is right now, it just won't move.

Spyder Garage

Just went out and started it with the parking brake released ... when I set the parking brake the light flashes on the dash like it's supposed to. I just can't get the brakes to release.

I'm out of ideas.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 8LEGS View Post
    Just went out and started it with the parking brake released ... when I set the parking brake the light flashes on the dash like it's supposed to. I just can't get the brakes to release.

I'm out of ideas.
    Look back on the right side of the rear wheel and make sure the brake lever is releasing. The top of the lever should move toward the back of the bike to release.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 8LEGS View Post
    ok, I'm stuck, literally. Parked the spyder in the garage, set parking brake, shut spyder off, went inside to grab helmet and other items for ride. started spyder, released parking brake, but spyder won't move.

Grabbed a 12mm wrench and a 16mm socket to check out parking brake adjustment, but nothing is doing the trick. No error codes so I believe it's mechanical.?.?

I should add, the parking brake seems loose, it clicks to set it and releases fine but just feels loose.

What do I need to check next? I would get it to the dealer to have them look at it, but as it is right now, it just won't move.
    It sounds like the caliper is stuck or the cable is stuck. When was the cable and the caliper cleaned and lubed?

Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    It sounds like the caliper is stuck or the cable is stuck. When was the cable and the caliper cleaned and lubed?

Mike
    Roger what Mike in Ga sez.... if the brake lever does not move back when released, it could be a sticky cable, or the inclined cam that pushes the pad could be stuck . Lubing the cable is a good thing...I use a chain and cable lube I got at a cycle shop.

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys, managed to get things better, not fixed. Seems the culprit is a very sticky cable. Now i need to re-adjust everything, lube up the cable real good, and re-install.
    I did miss out on a ride with some friends today, was a little bummed about that, but thankful the issue happened in the garage and not out in the middle of nowhere in 90 degree heat. Kind of funny, before it wouldn't budge, and now I have a 2x4 up under the rear wheel to keep it from rolling.
    again, thanks for the advise.

Spyder Garage

It's back together. Not going to mess with it anymore. Making appt. tomorrow for new brakes and new rear tire. I could use new brakes anyway and my rear tire is almost shot.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So this actually all happened at a "not-so-bad" time then...
    Glad to hear that it's working better; don't forget to move the 2x4 before trying to ryde off!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

No worries on the 2x4. Spyder is put back together and back to working order. Parking brake works and regular brakes work. It's sleeping nice out in the shop.....