Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool What's your front shock setting?

We got our shift selinoid replaced and we are back on the road with 265 miles on it... with a new question.

What is your ideal setting for the front coil shocks?

Mine is set at "3", and I weigh about 200lbs. It seems like it leans a little too much on the curves at 70mph. Those curves make me feel uneasy. I adjusted it to "5" and it cut down on the lean, but it was rough riding. Suggestions? or is it just getting used to it?

AND THANK YOU to whomever brought up the extended warranty deal they have going. I talked to my dealer while it was in the shop and he got me the extended warranty for NOTHING... maybe he was trying to make up for having it in the shop one week after i got it...

John

Spyder Garage

I have mine set at 5 on both RT's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It is a bit of a personal thing. Try #4 for a compromise...it costs nothing to change.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

3 was too soft, 5 was too harsh....I settled on 4, not an exact science, but works for us.

2011 Spyder RT A&C SE5

Spyder Garage

5 and wish there was a 6.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mine is set at 5. Much better.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    5 and wish there was a 6.
    Double Ditto--or how about a 10!
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Switched from 3 to 4 about 2 weeks ago. Like it better than at 3. Turns are more precise feeling at 4 for me. So far so good.
    David
    2012 Spyder RTS SE5 - Sold

Spyder Garage

Ours are at 5 and can't wait for my ELKA's. Saving now and will be getting them installed at Spyderfest next year.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have my RS at 5, did I mention I have RT shoks in my RS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

4 here... a pretty good compromise setting! 18 psi in the tires too...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Shock Setting

When I had the oem tires on my 2010 RT had the shocks set at 5 and did great but when I put the Falcan on the front set back to 4 for it was to hard a ride. This setting is working out good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcan View Post
    We got our shift selinoid replaced and we are back on the road with 265 miles on it... with a new question.

Mine is set at "3", and I weigh about 200lbs. It seems like it leans a little too much on the curves at 70mph. Those curves make me feel uneasy. I adjusted it to "5" and it cut down on the lean, but it was rough riding. Suggestions? or is it just getting used to it?

AND THANK YOU to whomever brought up the extended warranty deal they have going. I talked to my dealer while it was in the shop and he got me the extended warranty for NOTHING... maybe he was trying to make up for having it in the shop one week after i got it...

John

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dib52 View Post
    3 was too soft, 5 was too harsh....I settled on 4, not an exact science, but works for us.
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

I had mine set on 5, but I just installed my new stage 1+ Elkas that are set to 25 from the factory. I haven't taken my spyder out for a test run yet, but I have 50 settings for adjustment now instead of only 5. I hope I can find a good setting that won't be too harsh or too soft. I want it just right.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bo9roadking View Post
    I had mine set on 5, but I just installed my new stage 1+ Elkas that are set to 25 from the factory. I haven't taken my spyder out for a test run yet, but I have 50 settings for adjustment now instead of only 5. I hope I can find a good setting that won't be too harsh or too soft. I want it just right.
    Be careful not to confuse the stocks 5 adjustment settings with the 40 settings of adjustment on your Elka's.

The 5 settings on the stock shocks only change the preload that you are applying to the spring rate. Setting it to 5 applies more load on the spring to stiffen the spring rate. Setting it to 1 will do the opposite and make it really soft...almost too soft.

The preload on the Elka shocks are controlled by the red anodized ring at the top of the spring, but the black knob at the bottom controls your rebound dampening.

In essence, not only are you able to make finer adjustments with your preload since the preload ring is on a threaded body, but you can now play with the rebound reaction on the shocks by using the black knob.

Sounds confusing? I know...but, I am here to help in any way I can, so please dont hesitate to contact me at 1-8200-557-0552 ext 257 if you need more clarification. I am always more than happy to talk to you folks over the phone.

Regards,

John @ Elka

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had the stock shocks on my 2010 RT set on 5 but when I changed to the 2011 shocks, 5 was a little too stiff and made it bouncy in the corners so I had to go back to position 4. Wish I had Elkas or something with adjustable rebound so I could go to a stiffer pre-load and try to control the bounce with more rebound damping.

Cotton

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    Sounds confusing? I know...but, I am here to help in any way I can, so please dont hesitate to contact me at 1-8200-557-0552 ext 257 if you need more clarification.
    John, I'm glad that you showed up here; I've got a question about the proper shock application for a 2010 RT...
    I see all sorts of reservoirs, damping, rebound, preload...
    Which shock would you suggest for somebody who's kind of happy with the stockers, but knows that the Elkas would offer better control of that heavy front end?
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    John, I'm glad that you showed up here; I've got a question about the proper shock application for a 2010 RT...
    I see all sorts of reservoirs, damping, rebound, preload...
    Which shock would you suggest for somebody who's kind of happy with the stockers, but knows that the Elkas would offer better control of that heavy front end?
    Thanks!
    Stage 1+.

Honestly, it's the best bang for your buck. It gives you preload adjustment and rebound dampening which is perfect for the vast majority of RT riders.

Will you be at Spyders in the Adirondacks?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well I sure would LIKE to be!
    The negotiations between me and the Missus have pretty much deteriorated into a running knife-fight...
    If I can shake loose, it might be for a late-Friday run up the Northway to meet you guys somewhere...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    Stage 1+.

Honestly, it's the best bang for your buck. It gives you preload adjustment and rebound dampening which is perfect for the vast majority of RT riders.

Will you be at Spyders in the Adirondacks?
    Waitng.....waiting.......waiting.

ordered mine around the first......don't mind waiting in line for something that works.

Now, hurry up.......OK

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

ordered mine around the first......don't mind waiting in line for something that works.

Now, hurry up.......OK
    Well, I dont build them, but the guys in production do kinda run when I go back there since Spyderfest.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jcan View Post

John
    Hi John I found the same problem with my RT I tried different settings on my shocks but couldn't get it stop dipping into corners so I fitted a new swaybar and it fixed the problem try this website
    http://www.wespydservices.com/#!
    I think it would help you
    My will reads "being of sound mind and body,
    I spent it, go make your own!"

VERY HAPPY SPYDER OWNER.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Flight Risk's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bo9roadking View Post
    Had my Elka Stage 1 plus set at 25 ..... They are fantastic. The Spring??? is 325lbs......I weigh 150 but often have a rider on the back. It works great!!
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Drift HD 720 digital video camera w/ remote
    Russell Day-Long Custom Seat and Driver backrest
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka Stage 1 Plus Shocks
    Original Grip Buddies
    Seal Floorboards DLX
    Two Brothers Exhaust
    GloRyders with remote
    Zumo 660 GPS
    2011 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Now, hurry up.......OK
    Don't hold your breath...I ordered mine on 6/20, still waiting.....it's "SHOCKing"
    2012 Spyder RT