Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: carry a pistol?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default carry a pistol?

I was just curious how many carry when they ryde?

Spyder Garage

Not me. This has been discussed a lot of times--but its always interesting to read the varied opinions that pop up.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Would if i could. Not in Canada .

Josh

Spyder Garage

Yikes.....

Spyder Garage

In this day and time one can get into more trouble carrying one than not having one. I do not, and have not, in 40+ years of biking.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Default personal issue...

Those who carry don't worry about it...those who don't, worry both ways....smoky

Spyder Garage

I have, but don't like to. If I feel the need to carry it means that I'm heading somewhere where I don't feel safe....so I put the gun back on the nightstand and avoid that unsafe place.

You have a right....nay, an obligation to protect yourself and family from harm but if an incident occurs out in the street you're going to have a difficult time of it legally and it's almost a certainty your life will never be the same from that point forward.
    '09 SM5, Hindle pipe, K&N, sport rack, backrest, Givi shield EVO swaybar, Symtec grip heaters, Spyderpops belt guard....some other stuff.

Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it,
    Be afraid of the one saying 'To Whom it May Concern'!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    In this day and time one can get into more trouble carrying one than not having one. I do not, and have not, in 40+ years of biking.
    Could not disagree more on this statement. You just have to be knowledgeable about the laws in the area where you are carrying. And if you are going to carry then you have the responsibility to educate yourself.

I tend to carry most of the time when were are on extended rides. As the saying goes "I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it".

I carry a Glock 26 in an inside the waistband holster. I am very conscious about keeping it concealed as I do not want to create panic where there does not need to be any. About the only time I've run into issues is sometimes in the National Parks you will come across buildings that have no gun policies. In those cases I just lock the handgun in the trunk while I complete my business.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

While the vehicle is an extension of your domicile here in TX, as soon as you stop somewhere you either have to carry it with you (Concealed Carry Permit required) or leave it on your bike (and how secure is that??) so no, I do not see myself carrying....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smoky View Post
    Those who carry don't worry about it...those who don't, worry both ways....smoky
    Feel free to speak for yourself all you want... but please don't speak for those of us who choose not to carry.

I for one have never been 'worried' in any way, shape or form while on the road and certainly have never been worried whether I would require a gun - I didn't ... thought never even enters my mind.

Someone wants my money and Spyder--- take em' --- not worth risking my life (or theirs) over...

To each his own-- carry if ya want. A few of my HD buddies carried on our recent trip and frankly it proved to be more of a pain than anything. Having to constantly unload and lock them up, declare them while going on a ferry, can't take them into bars, etc...... It slowed us down plenty of times.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by danlnc View Post
    I was just curious how many carry when they ryde?
    Wherever legal.... both my wife and I have CWP's. Note in SC however as there is no recip with Georgia. As a result we go out of our way to avoid that state whenever possible.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Yes
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

dont need to... 7th degree black belt, 5th degree in Taekwondo...

naw, I'm kidding!

No we do not carry guns, not that I am opposed to it, my husband gets scared when I get upset, he says it's best to keep loaded weapons and sharp objects away from me.

Spyder Garage

I carry all the time (.45 or 9mm) - always concealed. The reality of life these days is that older people are subject crazy people trying to ruin their day and their life.

The only time I unload and lock up is in SC. I choose to carry and am not offended by people that do not, unless they try to infringe on my right to carry as I want.

I plan my trips and do not go where my right is limited (read NY, IL, CA ...).
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

Yes I do have a C.W.P. for Idaho and several other states! In this day and age you just never know. would rather carry it and never need it and need it and not have it with me.

Very Happy Rider

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

While I did carry when I was working I no longer have to. I now carry my wife where ever I go, she's a lot more dangerous than I am with a pistol.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Worry ??

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Feel free to speak for yourself all you want... but please don't speak for those of us who choose not to carry.

I for one have never been 'worried' in any way, shape or form while on the road and certainly have never been worried whether I would require a gun - I didn't ... thought never even enters my mind.

Someone wants my money and Spyder--- take em' --- not worth risking my life (or theirs) over...

To each his own-- carry if ya want. A few of my HD buddies carried on our recent trip and frankly it proved to be more of a pain than anything. Having to constantly unload and lock them up, declare them while going on a ferry, can't take them into bars, etc...... It slowed us down plenty of times.....
    I know now why you don't worry............. you're riding with your Buddies !! ( Their Packin')

zrc

I have a CWP in TN, and I carry in all vehicles pretty much all the time. I have very intimate and serious reasons for doing it, and they are not for an open forum. I will say that in some of the places you least concern yourself or your friends or SOs there can be a need to have something to stop someone.

There have been times before I did carry that if I had've things would have been different and good people wouldnt have gotten hurt. The things that can happen in today's world are terrorifying. And honestly in most places you can still bear arms openly, it is a right of the federal government, most people just freak out.

When and where I grew up everyone had a gun rack in the back of a truck, and 7/11's never got robbed cause 10 trucks with guns openly in them were in the parking lot.

Just some food for thought.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Wow, in this day an age, forgive me but IMHO, those who are unarmed are sheeple. Been riding for 50+ years the last 15 always armed, open carry nothing to hide, proud to be American, it's one of my flags. I have never been questioned by L.O.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by captblack View Post
    I carry all the time (.45 or 9mm) - always concealed. The reality of life these days is that older people are subject crazy people trying to ruin their day and their life.

The only time I unload and lock up is in SC. I choose to carry and am not offended by people that do not, unless they try to infringe on my right to carry as I want.

I plan my trips and do not go where my right is limited (read NY, IL, CA ...).
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaspud View Post
    Yes I do have a C.W.P. for Idaho and several other states! In this day and age you just never know. would rather carry it and never need it and need it and not have it with me.

It's a personal decision. If you're uncomfortable with it or feel no need to carry, then don't.

As a woman, often riding alone, back roads or freeway, I don't leave home without it.
    Following close on the heels of that statement, I want to be quick to add a couple things:
    #1 proper training is very important, and
    #2 leave your ego at home.

It's a Constitutional right (as of this writing, anyway) and comes with an equal balance of responsibility.
    Use it wisely, and ride safe.

Spyder Garage

I carry every where I go. at work It go's in my pocket just as you would a pocket knife. I go to 5-10 homes every day. Its not the Humans so much... its the BIG dogs that would come out of know where when I would be no where near my truck or a tree. A year ago I shot a germane shepperd that jumped me. while he was chewing on my left arm, I put 2 in his chest. Ruger LCP 380. Yes I have a ccw
    Hot Wheels loves to ROCK!

Spyder Garage

Yep, either a 9m, 10m, 380, or my judge I make sure they each get a turn at fresh air. Don't need no jelousy between them

AC
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Spyder Garage

Do the bad guys carry?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DO YOU OR DON'T YOU

My Motto is : I'd rather be Judged by 12 then carried by 6.......enough said......YES 24 x 7...........

Spyder Garage

Yes I carry. Massachusetts lisence. No reciprocity with any other states because Mass. Sucks.
    So I will soon have a Utah and a Florida permit. In the other states I will lock it up.

Ask your Senator to vote for the National carry act so that we can get ride of this patch work of laws that only benefits the lawless

Oh yeah PA ALSO
    Last edited by Mspiv; 07-09-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Added Pennsylvania
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    2012 RT Limited Lava (traded 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Utopia Backrest, Hi mounter tail light, FZ1 fuse box, aux power outlet, CB and Gerbing outlets
    2014 RT Limited Cognac (purchased 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Spyder Backrest, 2012 CB and Gerbing outlets
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.