Spyder Garage

Default Anyone install a gear/shift indicator?

It's so sunny down here that it's hard to see and I have to look down and low to notice the gear if I forget. Perhaps where the BRP logo is between M and S buttons? Whatcha think?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341766937.789486.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tierhog View Post
    It's so sunny down here that it's hard to see and I have to look down and low to notice the gear if I forget. Perhaps where the BRP logo is between M and S buttons? Whatcha think?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341766937.789486.jpg
    Just look at your Tach.........if it's ABOVE 5 and below 9K........you're OK

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS INDICATOR

I'd buy one in a heartbeat, if it overode the STUPID fault message that BRP has programmed into the Nanny.....In my opinion I can't understand why BRP doesn't think you would like to know what gear you are in is beyond my comprehension.....this is because my fault message is false ...nothing is actually wrong....the Nanny only thinks there is ?????.....Do you know if this INDICATOR will tell you the gear even if the Nanny isn't ????.......Also who sells it and where can you get it...????.....Thanks.......Mike....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'd buy one in a heartbeat, if it overode the STUPID fault message that BRP has programmed into the Nanny.....In my opinion I can't understand why BRP doesn't think you would like to know what gear you are in is beyond my comprehension.....this is because my fault message is false ...nothing is actually wrong....the Nanny only thinks there is ?????.....Do you know if this INDICATOR will tell you the gear even if the Nanny isn't ????.......Also who sells it and where can you get it...????.....Thanks.......Mike....
    Why don't you just get your Gear Position Sensor replaced? The rest of our Spyders tell us the gear just fine.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Sorry about your dilemma Blue. Nothing is wrong with my instrumentation, I was simply pointing out that when the sun is to your back or when wearing polarized or dark glasses, looking towards the bottom of the panel away from road is less desirable. The brp badge location would be perfect IMHO for an aftermarket indicator with a bright number indicator close to your viewing area. The riser increases the workload too. Might be a mod worth doing on the RS. Will keep you posted.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Why don't you just get your Gear Position Sensor replaced? The rest of our Spyders tell us the gear just fine.
    Learn to count to 5 not that hard 1'2'3'4'5 then down 5'4'3'2'1 then r if needed lol

Spyder Garage

Default GEAR POSITION SENSOR ?

Scotty, thanks for your help on this...the reason I haven't done this is I am pretty sure it isn't broken. It usually takes about an hour of riding before this happens and then every code the Spyder has goes off...except for the Limp mode.....and since my X-dealer is less than competant and dis-honest to boot it's not likely I'm going there.....and TEXASRIDE try this out, put a piece of tape over the area that shows what gear you are in.....SEE HOW THAT WORKS FOR YOU.....Then you can report back wether you liked it or not !!!!!!!.........Ride Safe ....Mike.....
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-08-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default DEAR BRUISER

Why don't you read post # 7. Then maybe you will have a better understanding of this problem before you ***********, ********** Thanks again Mike

Spyder Garage

Scotty, thanks for your help on this...the reason I haven't done this is I am pretty sure it isn't broken. It usually takes about an hour of riding before this happens and then every code the Spyder has goes off...except for the Limp mode.....and since my X-dealer is less than competant and dis-honest to boot it's not likely I'm going there.....and TEXASRIDE try this out, put a piece of tape over the area that shows what gear you are in.....SEE HOW THAT WORKS FOR YOU.....Then you can report back wether you liked it or not !!!!!!!.........Ride Safe ....Mike.....
    Many times the Gear Position Sensor just needs to be moved a bit and tightened down. It's only about an $80 part if memory serves and you could change it yourself if you do other maintenance. I don't believe it requires a BUDS hook up to do.

I feel your frustration, but I think you're being a bit unreasonable. BRP designed it to display the gear-- and it works quite well..... if you're refusing to take it in and get it fixed (it should be covered under warranty BTW - mine was) --- then I'm not sure how you can really blame BRP......

Not sure where you live--- but if you were close I'd meet you and change it for ya....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default THE SENSOR ? PROBLEM

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Many times the Gear Position Sensor just needs to be moved a bit and tightened down. It's only about an $80 part if memory serves and you could change it yourself if you do other maintenance. I don't believe it requires a BUDS hook up to do.

I feel your frustration, but I think you're being a bit unreasonable. BRP designed it to display the gear-- and it works quite well..... if you're refusing to take it in and get it fixed (it should be covered under warranty BTW - mine was) --- then I'm not sure how you can really blame BRP......

Not sure where you live--- but if you were close I'd meet you and change it for ya....
    I don't understand ...if I have a broken /or faulty sensor why does it take the computer an hour to figure this out on a consistant basis ?, and why do I get all the codes ( flashing neutral, check engine, flashing reverse, "E", DPS, VSS etc. but not the "LIMP MODE",) and yet the Spyder runs perfectly fine. I have had Two different dealers put my Spyder on the " BUDS" and both said.....Nothing wrong...nothing in the memory.....please deposit $175 and leave we have other customers with cash we plan to take........Mike.....

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

my 2012 RS has one in instrument panel

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Wow touch a nerve I have ridden many mc that did not show what gear you are in this is not,rocket science gee lighten up due you gona stroke out .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

... But we all can understand how a little bit of frustration can get folks on edge...
    hang in there Mike! Whatever's going on in there has an easy fix to it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I don't understand ...if I have a broken /or faulty sensor why does it take the computer an hour to figure this out on a consistant basis ?, and why do I get all the codes ( flashing neutral, check engine, flashing reverse, "E", DPS, VSS etc. but not the "LIMP MODE",) and yet the Spyder runs perfectly fine. I have had Two different dealers put my Spyder on the " BUDS" and both said.....Nothing wrong...nothing in the memory.....please deposit $175 and leave we have other customers with cash we plan to take........Mike.....
    Often the problems with the GPS don't appear until the unit gets real hot, which would explain your delay. Wiring problems can work the same way, so I wouldn't rule out that, either. A battery or ground issue could trigger such problems. Many faults will trigger other faults in related systems, as the first fault shuts down those systems. BUDS should tell the sequence, though. Your lack of a BUDS trail is odd, and needs to be investigated. If I were you, I would contact BRP Customer Service to discuss the problem. They can put you in touch with their tech experts, who can then instruct the dealer on what to look for. It is fortunate you are not getting limp mode, but this still is a problem that needs to be cured. I can understand your frustration, and your anger at being charged for the diagnosis of what should be warranty issues, but I hope you have the persistence and patience to get this problem addressed and repaired. You will like your Spyder much better if you do.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

If your dealer is charging you for hooking up to buds and clearing / checking codes--- then I'd find a new dealer!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

one-hundred percent!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default SENSOR ISSUES

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    If your dealer is charging you for hooking up to buds and clearing / checking codes--- then I'd find a new dealer!
    Fly, I live in Vermont and I know of only TWO dealers. In my original Post about this I didn't accurately describe what I was annoyed with BRP about. It wasn't the fact that I was getting a WARNING, It was that they put it in place of the GEAR numbers......Why couldn't they have put it somewhere else was all I meant......AND TEXASRIDE IF YOU CAN'T BE HELPFUL .....SHUT YOUR TRAP......I love my Spyder and do not intend to get rid of it because I can"t see what gear I'm in.....So there............Thankyou to those who know what Spyderlover's is all about......Mike.......and Scotty I will try to track down the codes when they are active.....should I do this immed.while the spyder is running ?
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-09-2012 at 08:22 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default FOOTNOTE TO SENSOR ISSUES

Approximately a year and one half ago I had all the same problems as previously stated above...This is something I have posted as " my Phanthom Codes Issues ". At the reccomendation of an excellent mechanic who I trust, I took apart every electrical connection, fuse, relay, ground, etc. cleaned them...wiped them with acetone...then swabbed them with di-electric grease before re-assembly.....I did this one at a time so I wouldn't screw it up when I re-assembled.....Well all my code problems stopped for 1 1/2 years, untill just recently.....and you are right Bob about frustrating.....The only saving thing here is I'm so used to seeing my instument panel lit up like a Christmas tree I just drive on.....I just wish BRP had located the " ERROR " message somewhere else.......Thanks again for the help and sympathy......Mike....

Spyder Garage

Fly, I live in Vermont and I know of only TWO dealers. In my original Post about this I didn't accurately describe what I was annoyed with BRP about. It wasn't the fact that I was getting a WARNING, It was that they put it in place of the GEAR numbers......Why couldn't they have put it somewhere else was all I meant......AND TEXASRIDE IF YOU CAN'T BE HELPFUL .....SHUT YOUR TRAP......I love my Spyder and do not intend to get rid of it because I can"t see what gear I'm in.....So there............Thankyou to those who know what Spyderlover's is all about......Mike.......and Scotty I will try to track down the codes when they are active.....should I do this immed.while the spyder is running ?
    I get the gist of your worries now. Having part of the display disappear is inconvenient, to say the least. Still, you should never be seeing "R" at all while in a forward gear or neutral. I still think the GPS is wonky. Given your previous problem with phantom codes, I'd suspect wiring issues again. A second cleaning and application of dielectric grease could help. I'd certainly contact BRP Customer Support and explain that the previous issue has reappeared. If the specify (and authorize) the fix and contact the dealer, it usually goes better. Hopefully they will ask for a wiring harness replacement.

You can get the codes while running...in fact you should get them ASAP while they are active and the warnings are active. For ammunition, I'd take a pic of the warning(s) on the display, then take pics of the fault codes or the blank screen if there are none. That will help in the diagnosis. You may even want to email them to BRP customer service.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default FOOTNOTE TO MY FOOTNOTE

I get the gist of your worries now. Having part of the display disappear is inconvenient, to say the least. Still, you should never be seeing "R" at all while in a forward gear or neutral. I still think the GPS is wonky. Given your previous problem with phantom codes, I'd suspect wiring issues again. A second cleaning and application of dielectric grease could help. I'd certainly contact BRP Customer Support and explain that the previous issue has reappeared. If the specify (and authorize) the fix and contact the dealer, it usually goes better. Hopefully they will ask for a wiring harness replacement.

You can get the codes while running...in fact you should get them ASAP while they are active and the warnings are active. For ammunition, I'd take a pic of the warning(s) on the display, then take pics of the fault codes or the blank screen if there are none. That will help in the diagnosis. You may even want to email them to BRP customer service.
    Scotty, thankyou,thankyou, thankyou, just so you know I have only these TWO wiring add-on's , both of which were done six months ago..I added a stereo which has a fused power source and ground....and a spliced in wiring harness connector ( that has a convertor specifically designed for MTC. that has separate brake/turn lights )...and neither one of those triggered any problems in the past six months ( 12 mos for the stereo )..this is just info for possible consideration/elimination of the causation......Mike....
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-09-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

If you are trying to prove to the dealer that something is wrong try mounting a video camera so it is watching the dash then go for a ride until the error shows and show the video to the dealer and tell them to explain it.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

ight
    Last edited by texasride; 07-09-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

You guys need some beer lol. I have sport bike past, and I fully embrace the spyder platform. On rare occasion I throwback to old ways and the gearshift position light was a welcomed sight on my ZX-6R. I tear up the road on my spyder and simply miss the heads up position of it.

I can count quite well. When I ride, I sometimes take in the scenery and blissfully forget what gear I'm in when downshifting. In addition, I look for a 6th that's not there

It's. 50$ non invasive install...if and when I do it, I'll post it. Everybody have a nice week.