Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How to deal with the heat???

The wife and I went to Chattanooga last night. We took the interstate down and back...Here's the problem. Even doing 75 and 80 MPH, Kathy (Betty Boop) is absolutely soaked in sweat after riding. Granted, it was 100 degrees or hotter while we were riding. She tried adjusting her windshield up and down with no success...However, I was on my Vision and not nearly as miserable or sweaty as she was, on her Spyder...I suggested, that we could take off the clear plastic pieces underneath the mirrors to give her more air. But, she didn't want to do that...

So, my question is: Besides, the baker air wings, are there any other means of directing air onto the driver of a RT-S???
    2009 Victory Midnight Cherry Vision
    2011 Can-Am Viper Red Spyder RT-S

Spyder Garage

Sorry we missed you in Chattanooga...

1. get a windshield like the ESI F4 (see below) that can move lower enough to get more airflow over the top.

2. Remove the air wings under the mirrors, I do this for the summer...

2012-03-27_12-52-37_685.jpg

Spyder Garage

I know you said "besides baker airings", but I have been ryding in this heat and we had a long ryde 2 weeks ago and it was 100+ degrees the whole time and the Baker airwings were marvelous". I would not be without them in this heat! Not sure what else is out there, but I am glad I have the Baker Airwings.

Spyder Garage

Maybe BRP will come up with something

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Short of air-conditioning... there isn't much improvement one could expect at 100 degree or plus weather... sorry to say.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Maybe BRP will come up with something
    Don't tease us! I took off my deflectors and today was the first ride without them. I can't say that I noticed much difference, if any, but at 100+ it doesn't matter much. I would love to get the Baker Air Wings when I have enough money but in the meantime I'll have to live with Heat-out gear and no deflectors.

We stopped at a BMW Motorcycle dealer today and the K1600GTL has a cool air wing type thing that you move to allow more air on you then it goes back in place and looks good.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default The convection effect

It's been really hot here in MD the last couple weeks, and I equate riding the Spyder in 100+ degree heat to a convection oven. My wife HATES it when it's this hot.

Even with a fan directly on you, it's still blowing 100 degree air in your face.

Hot is hot, and the Spyder doesn't offer much respite from the heat, in fact, they Ryde hot to begin with, so the added ambient temps just magnify an already 'steamy' situation.

I know I pimp them in all my posts, and I swear I'm not on the payroll, but the Spyderpops do help to channel a great deal of the motor and exhaust radiant heat back under the bike and out the back instead of up onto your feet and legs.

Stay strong, Ryde hard. --Pete
    Last edited by donnellpj; 07-07-2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
    2014 Spyder RT Limited , OEM NA Satin Platinum

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Flight Risk's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here in Texas we have been suffering with many 100 degree plus days........so much so that on a 300+ mile ride I was hit with heat exhaustion. It was very scary to say the least. I will be looking at the Spyderpops for sure BUT I also too a leap of faith and a good bit of money and bought a first line of defense type of riding vest. Tomorrow is the first time to use it so I'll report back. I don't want to garage the bike for the rest of our summer .... which is somewhere into October....hoping this works.
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Drift HD 720 digital video camera w/ remote
    Russell Day-Long Custom Seat and Driver backrest
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka Stage 1 Plus Shocks
    Original Grip Buddies
    Seal Floorboards DLX
    Two Brothers Exhaust
    GloRyders with remote
    Zumo 660 GPS
    2011 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donnellpj View Post
    the Spyderpops do help to channel a great deal of the motor and exhaust radiant heat back under the bike and out the back instead of up onto your feet and legs.
    I have all of Harvey's heat stuff on my GS and his stuff really works! I know people with RTs that feel the same way.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When you need more air, take away the biggest deflector on the Spyder..."Windshield". If your worried about protection for the dash. An 1/8" piece of plexy glass will save the dash. Most of the Ryders I see are wearing a fullface helmet. So your protected from flying debri so to speak.
    Also remove the front stuffing inside the helmet, that will allow a bit more air to enter and help with circulation. Most of these helmets have that option so you can clean them and snap'm right back in.
    I pull the shield of my 2 wheeler in the summer and place it back on in the winter. I wear a half helmet and goggles for eye protection.
    But then again I ride for the wind

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fliight Risk View Post
    Here in Texas we have been suffering with many 100 degree plus days........so much so that on a 300+ mile ride I was hit with heat exhaustion. It was very scary to say the least. I will be looking at the Spyderpops for sure BUT I also too a leap of faith and a good bit of money and bought a first line of defense type of riding vest. Tomorrow is the first time to use it so I'll report back. I don't want to garage the bike for the rest of our summer .... which is somewhere into October....hoping this works.
    Hey Flight Risk...what type of vest did you get?

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Flight Risk's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SnoWhite View Post
    Hey Flight Risk...what type of vest did you get?
    It is called a PhaseCore Vest........ firstlinetech.com ask for Randy. They have one that is a "one size fits most" and basically the only one that is short in front so it doesn't ride up on you. They have these saline filled foil like packs. My vest has 16 packs.

We shall see, but basically instead of freezing you for just a short time, or soaking just a vest in water, they actually can "recharge" in the house, takes longer, you can put them in the fridge OR in the freezer. When out on a ride if you can dunk them in a ice water cooler for about 20 minutes the are recharged. They have other vests for firemen, police, outdoor workers, etc. Basically it pulls the heat from your body......mine activates at 82 degrees.

Mine was $340.....BIG BITE but if this works it will be more than worth it!!!
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Drift HD 720 digital video camera w/ remote
    Russell Day-Long Custom Seat and Driver backrest
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka Stage 1 Plus Shocks
    Original Grip Buddies
    Seal Floorboards DLX
    Two Brothers Exhaust
    GloRyders with remote
    Zumo 660 GPS
    2011 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

If you're looking to find something that she can adjust to put more air directly on her. Baker shows some wings that are adjustable and mount to the windshield. I know I've seen many variations of the same over the years. Not sure if they are a permanent mount or something that could be used seasonally. Wouldn't think they would have to be bike specific, the trick would be finding some that would look the way you want them to, and do the job.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default Heat

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    I have all of Harvey's heat stuff on my GS and his stuff really works! I know people with RTs that feel the same way.

I take off the deflectors below the morror in the summer. Also have the S.Pops foot and CAT deflectors for the RT. Added the ISCI FanCan the other day. It's not exactly like wearing an air conditioned space suit, but much much better. Guess the Baker Air Wings will be next. They sure as heck were lifesavers on the Goldwings and worth every penny.

TuckMiddle

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bakers, Spyderpops, cooling vests, mesh riding gear, damp hankerchief around the neck and another one under the helmet....
    and it's still gonna be 100 degree riding weather! I really don't mean to sound... mean, but it's going to be what it is: HOT!
    All that has been said here (before I jumped in), was real good advice, so I'd tackle those avenues of escape from the heat and see if it helps.
    Good Luck!
    Oh! don't forget the iced-tea at the end of the ryde!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by donnellpj View Post
    It's been really hot here in MD the last couple weeks, and I equate riding the Spyder in 100+ degree heat to a convection oven. My wife HATES it when it's this hot.

Even with a fan directly on you, it's still blowing 100 degree air in your face.

Hot is hot, and the Spyder doesn't offer much respite from the heat, in fact, they Ryde hot to begin with, so the added ambient temps just magnify an already 'steamy' situation.

I know I pimp them in all my posts, and I swear I'm not on the payroll, but the Spyderpops do help to channel a great deal of the motor and exhaust radiant heat back under the bike and out the back instead of up onto your feet and legs.

Stay strong, Ryde hard. --Pete
    OK Pete, lets hope your support of Spyderpops is honest and not paid... I, too, have ordered the heat suppressor stuff and will soon see if it is all its cracked up to be. Did 400 + miles in the NY, Mass and CT heat 2 days ago and the wife wanted to kill me 'cause her foot was darn hot most of the day. Gotta cure the heat issue for sure. Maybe the heat deflectors will do it. If not then try the Bakers.

Spyder Garage

Ok thanks for all the comments. One thing I forgot to mention is that Kathy wears a 3/4 helmet. I wear a full face helmet and Alpinestar motorcycle leather boots. My issue is
    1. Her right foot is hotter NOW since adding the block off plate from Spyderpops than before adding as well as more heat on the that side overall.

2. She is soaking wet in sweat compared to me in the same conditions.

3. The Baker air wings are just ugly. Might be functional but are really tacky and mess the cool looks of a Spyder.

Hopefully, Lamontster isn't teasing us and has some piece of insider info of something coming in the NEAR future!!
    Last edited by joe schmoe; 07-08-2012 at 09:38 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joe schmoe View Post
    Ok thanks for all the comments. One thing I forgot to mention is that Kathy wears a 3/4 helmet. I wear a full face helmet. My issue is
    1. Her right foot is hotter NOW since adding the block off plate from Spyderpops than before adding as well as more heat on the that side overall.

2. She is soaking wet in sweat compared to me in the same conditions.

3. The Baker air wings are just ugly. Might be functional but are really tacky and mess the cool looks of a Spyder.

Hopefully, Lamontster isn't teasing us and has some piece of insider info of something coming in the NEAR future!!
    Over three years we have added everything available to counter heat problems with the exception of a fan can. We started with the cold air kit from Prestige Auto in Quebec (over $900 and still didn't help), all the SpyderPops stuff, the Avon Rubber deflector and finally the Baker Wings. Of all these the Baker product is the most effective but when you are turning air that is 100 degrees back into your body it still feels pretty much like 100 degrees.

You think these look tacky???
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

I have resisted doing any of the heat blocking yet, to be honest the heat at the bottom does not bother me. I wear boots while ridding and have not suffered any discomfort. For other reasons I put the seal floorboards on, I think they help as they block the heat from the cat a little.

My issue is the center heat, way too hot where you sit, I ordered the baker air wings should be here next week, hopefully force some air into the seat. I have been testing the air hawk R seat, jury is still out on that one. But suppose to allow more air flow under your butt. Mixed with the air wings, fingers crossed it will drive some cooling air under the seating area.

I'm worried that if I use the block off plates that more hot air will be pushed up the center as it as no where to go, I know you remove the bottom plate.

Need some sort of air duck channel from the front of the spyder that runs through the middle top of the bike that can be closed in colder weather.

I also miss the vent I had in the Golwing windscreen, that little vent really does work. Inspector Gadget added one to his spyder, I just don't have the needed skills to cut into my windscreen. I asked a couple of dealers if they would do it, in short they said no. I tried to see if a couple of windscreen vendors at Americade would do it and again no. Inspector Gadget if you go to sita, please bring some windscreen cutting gear.

Harry
    Last edited by harrypottar; 07-08-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Me? I dig the heat! It's an excuse to stop for ice cream along the way!
    Besides; the Spyder gets stored once Winter hits and the roads are coated with salt.
    I've got to "make hay while the sun shines!"
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have the air wings which i didn't feel helped a lot. I have since removed the shields below the mirror and that has helped some for sure in conjunction with the air wings.

The one thing that has helped 110% is the LD comfort shorts & shirt. These things keep me dry. My arms sweat since I wear short sleeve LD comfort shirt so there is a difference. THis is under mesh pants and jacket. I'm sold on these things.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

another thing I'm contemplating are the "Top Vents" from Vertika.

They look like they belong, where as the airings IMO do not. Anyone have the Vertika top vents? You can direct the air to you and away from you.
    The hassle is they don't come painted or predrilled.

http://www.vertikatrykescanada.com/i...0not%20painted
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    another thing I'm contemplating are the "Top Vents" from Vertika.

They look like they belong, where as the airings IMO do not. Anyone have the Vertika top vents? You can direct the air to you and away from you.
    The hassle is they don't come painted or predrilled.

http://www.vertikatrykescanada.com/i...0not%20painted
    WOW!!! Now that's an AWESOME solution and looks perfectly made for the Spyder!!! However, $585 CDN is VERY EXPENSIVE!!!! and that doesn't include paint!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Me? I dig the heat! It's an excuse to stop for ice cream along the way!

Spyder Garage

Last week Sunday I took a ride from Milwaukee through Michigan, Ontario, new york, pa, Maryland to dc for the 4th. The trip kept the temp at about 90 or so and I only used cooling neck tie that I got from Yol Bolsun! And wife. Everything was fine as long as I kept hydrated and wet down the neck tie at the stops. On the way back I traveled through Maryland, pa, and Ohio before I decided that the thermometer at 104 was probably correct so I hunkered down for the night at about 4.
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator