Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joe schmoe View Post
    WOW!!! Now that's an AWESOME solution and looks perfectly made for the Spyder!!! However, $585 CDN is VERY EXPENSIVE!!!! and that doesn't include paint!

yes, i should have mentioned, NOT cheap... anyone have these already?
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post

You think these look tacky???
    YES!!!
    2009 Victory Midnight Cherry Vision
    2011 Can-Am Viper Red Spyder RT-S

Spyder Garage

You think these look tacky???

Yup.. they do.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Hot air is hot air ...... you may actually be COOLER by having your windshield UP higher or by wearing a full face helmet. I know when I was riding in 109 degree heat I was cooler with my full face shield down... when I would open it -- it felt like an oven blowing hot air into my face....

This could be a cool option.....

http://entrosys.com/

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

WOW!!! Now that's an AWESOME solution and looks perfectly made for the Spyder!!! However, $585 CDN is VERY EXPENSIVE!!!! and that doesn't include paint!
    The Vertica vents are the same ones I mentioned in my earlier post on this thread. The company is called Prestige Auto out of Canada. We ordered these when my wife first began to complain about heat on her new '10 RT over two years ago. By the time we ordered them from Canada, had them color matched, paid the duty on them at US Customs and then paid to have them mounted it was just about $900. The idea is that the air is 'rammed' into the factory vents and forced out through the bottom vent on the RT so that it doesn't collect in the radiator area and fry your leg. We bought them figuring it wouldn't help when stopped or in traffic but on the highway it might make sense.

It didn't. The heat was just as intense, and even may have made it worse. They do look neat on the Spyder however. When we sold my wife's 2010 RT and bought her 2012 Limited, the buyer liked the looks of the vents and liked the 'Ram Air' idea thinking they would help the engine performance. I did nothing to contradict his opinion and that probably helped the sale.

Based on our experience, the Vertica vents are all show and no go.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

The Vertica vents are the same ones I mentioned in my earlier post on this thread. The company is called Prestige Auto out of Canada. We ordered these when my wife first began to complain about heat on her new '10 RT over two years ago. By the time we ordered them from Canada, had them color matched, paid the duty on them at US Customs and then paid to have them mounted it was just about $900. The idea is that the air is 'rammed' into the factory vents and forced out through the bottom vent on the RT so that it doesn't collect in the radiator area and fry your leg. We bought them figuring it wouldn't help when stopped or in traffic but on the highway it might make sense.

It didn't. The heat was just as intense, and even may have made it worse. They do look neat on the Spyder however. When we sold my wife's 2010 RT and bought her 2012 Limited, the buyer liked the looks of the vents and liked the 'Ram Air' idea thinking they would help the engine performance. I did nothing to contradict his opinion and that probably helped the sale.

Thanks for the information...It (the Top Vent) looks like it would funnel air from in front, up into the drivers compartment to help with air flow and cooling...But, it's IMPOSSIBLE to tell based on their web site and videos that they SUPPOSEDLY show an installation of them...

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. I just removed the shields below the mirrors and felt that helped with air flow but misses the target, me, so I'm a little perplexed at how being able to direct the air right to the driver with this vertika setup wouldn't help some? So, can you clarify that it doesn't direct the air to the rider? thanks again for the info.

john
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Hot air is hot air ...... you may actually be COOLER by having your windshield UP higher or by wearing a full face helmet. I know when I was riding in 109 degree heat I was cooler with my full face shield down... when I would open it -- it felt like an oven blowing hot air into my face....

I'm not sure how "cool" it would be when i tell the missus it's her or the air conditioner..

anyone try these one of these things? I wonder if they have a dual tubing model.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

10.57 gallons

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When the Temps. hit 95+ I park it. I ryde in the mornings and late evenings.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

About a month ago I removed my 24" Madstad windshield and went back to the stock RS shorty. Combined with a mesh jacket that definitely solved the airflow problem. I wear a Chill-Towel around my neck underneath the jacket, keep that wet and it helps keep me cool.

THAT SAID... it's a fact that over 95, mesh gear doesn't work. Meaning, any air moving over bare skin-- either over your t-shirt or through your mesh jacket-- is too warm to cool you off. All it does at that point is blow the sweat off your skin before it can do the job of removing the heat from your body. That's why, counter-intuitively, above 95 degrees you should ditch the mesh and wear a closed jacket. Yes, it'll seal you in stifling heat, but your sweat will still work to keep you as cool as you can be (which is, admittedly, not much).

The one exception? If you have a cooling vest that you can keep wet, you can still wear mesh-- the vest will act as "artificial sweat" for your body. But you have to keep it wet or it won't work.

Of course, if you can stay hydrated, OR you can keep the air off of you (a tall windshield will block that air, and keep you sweating), that can also help.

Again, you WANT to sweat. Sweating keeps you cool. If it's 100 degrees out and you're NOT sweating, that's a sign you're in trouble.

The one thing I recommend to everyone NOT to do is to wear a t-shirt/vest/tank-top/no shirt. ATGATT considerations/risks aside, wearing a long-sleeve jacket of some kind helps keep the sun off your skin and keeps you cooler. Last thing you want is heat stroke while riding.

Bottom line: if it feels too hot to ride, it definitely is too hot for YOU to ride-- consider how *you* feel on the bike, you're the one who has to sweat atop it. Be smart and be safe, heat is no joke.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Here looks like a GREAT solution, that BRP should have down to begin with...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ght-side-vents

It appears that a vortex would draw the HEAT off the motor and UNDER the Spyder and completely away from the rider and from the riders feet...Very interesting idea, now why didn't BRP do this to being with???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    We stopped at a BMW Motorcycle dealer today and the K1600GTL has a cool air wing type thing that you move to allow more air on you then it goes back in place and looks good.
    I can attest that those vents on the K1600GTL dump a lot of air on the driver's torso. It would be nice to put those air deflectors under the Spyder's mirrors on a hinge, so they can serve a similar function in the hot months.
    - Carl

2017 Can Am F3-L (current ryde)
    2015 Can Am F3-S (previous ryde)
    2012 BMW K1600 (previous ride)
    2016 Can Am F3-T (wife's)

Spyder Garage

The wife and I went to Chattanooga last night. We took the interstate down and back...Here's the problem. Even doing 75 and 80 MPH, Kathy (Betty Boop) is absolutely soaked in sweat after riding. Granted, it was 100 degrees or hotter while we were riding. She tried adjusting her windshield up and down with no success...However, I was on my Vision and not nearly as miserable or sweaty as she was, on her Spyder...I suggested, that we could take off the clear plastic pieces underneath the mirrors to give her more air. But, she didn't want to do that...

So, my question is: Besides, the baker air wings, are there any other means of directing air onto the driver of a RT-S???
    When the ambient temperature is over 98.6 degrees (your body's core temperature), you do not want more air, you want less air. More air does not cool you down, it heats you up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WaltH View Post
    When the ambient temperature is over 98.6 degrees (your body's core temperature), you do not want more air, you want less air. More air does not cool you down, it heats you up.
    I'm in your camp. HOT is HOT.....HOTTER is not better.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WaltH View Post
    That makes since, but my thought process was that evaporative cooling would take place with more air instead of blocking off the above 98.6...But I see what you're saying...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I just removed the shields below the mirrors and felt that helped with air flow but misses the target, me, so I'm a little perplexed at how being able to direct the air right to the driver with this vertika setup wouldn't help some? So, can you clarify that it doesn't direct the air to the rider? thanks again for the info.

john
    To install the Vertica set up you have to remove the facgory shields under the mirrors. The air flows into the front of the Vertica device and turns down into the factory vent that is under the mirrors. It does not direct air toward the driver. The ram air effect is supposed to 'Flush out' hot air and it does it's job... it's just that we don't need more hot air flowing out of the vent on the right side or out from underneath.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

To install the Vertica set up you have to remove the facgory shields under the mirrors. The air flows into the front of the Vertica device and turns down into the factory vent that is under the mirrors. It does not direct air toward the driver. The ram air effect is supposed to 'Flush out' hot air and it does it's job... it's just that we don't need more hot air flowing out of the vent on the right side or out from underneath.

ah, ok...i thought it came through the vertical device towards the driver or away from...hmmm..thanks.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Default I was burning up

The wife and I went to Chattanooga last night. We took the interstate down and back...Here's the problem. Even doing 75 and 80 MPH, Kathy (Betty Boop) is absolutely soaked in sweat after riding. Granted, it was 100 degrees or hotter while we were riding. She tried adjusting her windshield up and down with no success...However, I was on my Vision and not nearly as miserable or sweaty as she was, on her Spyder...I suggested, that we could take off the clear plastic pieces underneath the mirrors to give her more air. But, she didn't want to do that...

So, my question is: Besides, the baker air wings, are there any other means of directing air onto the driver of a RT-S???
    I have the baker air wings and the heat deflectors listed by our vendors. The deflector for the catalytic converter. The deflector for the right side and opening the panel underneath to exhaust heat from the radiator. The combo truly helps. In the high heat I pour water on my jeans and the air passing over keeps me cool for a good 20 minutes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

That looks like a "cool" system but there's no price and the site is from 2009 talking about preorders for 2010??
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Default 103+ makes for a hot ryde...

Saturday went on a 10+ ryde in my area....this is rattlesnake/sage brush country so trees and water few and far between....BUT I pack at least 2 gallons of water with me....forgot the sunscreen...so had a little of the lobster look when I got home....literally could wring the sweat out of my clothes....but even though some were saying you are getting ...I knew when I got home and jumped in the lake and then slathered on the coconut oil I would be back to my old wrinkly skin and I was....The ryde was wonderful...my Baker Air Wings make all the difference in the world...today is day to get those Monday things done...but it will be on Ms Spyder...had an incredible lightning store last night...better than any TV watching...down side is the fires they start as well as cherry harvest is just starting here and that rain is not good on ripe cherries...
    Wow just had a coyote stroll thru my yard...hope she gets those mice and snakes that I know are out there!!!!! OK...my cup of espresso awaits me...everyone have a great day...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

After reading of others on here doing it, I removed the clear plastic vents under the mirrors just before a 325 mile ride in the heat a couple weeks back. I found there to be a lot more air flow in the waist area than in the past. I am leaving them off till the fall (put the screws back though!) Wont send air everywhere but it does help!
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat

It has been in the high 90s here recently and I once rode through Stockton CA when it was near 110. I found a vest that works great for ryders. It was originally developed for firemen. The vest holds packs in the front and the back. The pack is filled with a non-toxic phase change material that turns liquid at 72. So, unlike some others, you don't freeze body parts as the vest packs keep melting. The packs freeze solid in ice-water in about an hour and the vest loaded packs melt in about the time it takes to run through a tank of gas. On a tour, I keep two very small ice chests. One for pop and stuff and the other for refreezing the vest packs. You start with frozen packs, then swap them out at the first gas stop. I have a double set. Take the frozen set from the ice chest and slip them into the vest. Then put the melted ones in the ice chest. By the time you stop for gas again, they are refrozen. You can keep up this cyle all day. The wing thing just isn't my cup of tea when it's really hot. People have asked me how I can wear an armored jacket in the high temps. The jacket helps to hold the cool in. I've had this thing for 10 years.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Flight Risk's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Shaku View Post
    It has been in the high 90s here recently and I once rode through Stockton CA when it was near 110. I found a vest that works great for ryders. It was originally developed for firemen. The vest holds packs in the front and the back. The pack is filled with a non-toxic phase change material that turns liquid at 72. So, unlike some others, you don't freeze body parts as the vest packs keep melting. The packs freeze solid in ice-water in about an hour and the vest loaded packs melt in about the time it takes to run through a tank of gas. On a tour, I keep two very small ice chests. One for pop and stuff and the other for refreezing the vest packs. You start with frozen packs, then swap them out at the first gas stop. I have a double set. Take the frozen set from the ice chest and slip them into the vest. Then put the melted ones in the ice chest. By the time you stop for gas again, they are refrozen. You can keep up this cyle all day. The wing thing just isn't my cup of tea when it's really hot. People have asked me how I can wear an armored jacket in the high temps. The jacket helps to hold the cool in. I've had this thing for 10 years.
    I just got the same vest this week and went on my first ride with it yesterday (Sunday). I was praying it would work because just two weeks ago I got heat exhaustion. IT WORKED!!! I like your idea about having an extra set of packs in the cooler. When we all stopped for lunch the best I could do was take the vest off and have the restaurant put the entire vest in their freezer. Didn't work all that well because we weren't there long enough......but it was better than nothing. At the very last stop I poured 1/2 bottle of ice water down the inside front of the vest YIKES, COLD....and the other 1/2 down the inside back of the vest. That worked pretty good because I wasn't horribly far from home. This investment is expensive BUT so is everything we spend on our Spyders.......why not spend something on ourselves so we can ride our Spyders year round? By the way it was only 104 here but very humid.
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Drift HD 720 digital video camera w/ remote
    Russell Day-Long Custom Seat and Driver backrest
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka Stage 1 Plus Shocks
    Original Grip Buddies
    Seal Floorboards DLX
    Two Brothers Exhaust
    GloRyders with remote
    Zumo 660 GPS
    2011 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Default air flow...

The vents on top of the upper side panels just behind the air deflectors have puzzled me from the beginning. It seems like the air deflectors would create a negative air pressure behind themselves, and actually pull air from under the cowl rather than push it down. It would be nice to know their exact function.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sinkhole View Post
    The vents on top of the upper side panels just behind the air deflectors have puzzled me from the beginning. It seems like the air deflectors would create a negative air pressure behind themselves, and actually pull air from under the cowl rather than push it down. It would be nice to know their exact function.
    I believe they are to vent some of the hot air out of the upper body. You can feel the heat come off them going down the road. I have warmed my hands on them in the winter.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!