Thread: Engine Ice

Spyder Garage

Cool Engine Ice

Does anyone know if BRP will void the warranty if Engine Ice is used? It is reallly hot and humid here in Alvin, TX and I was looking for ways to keep my 2011 SE5 cooler, especially in trafffic. I know about Spyderpops add ons, but I wanted to try and start simple and cheap if possible. I've read alot of good things about Engine Ice, but never used it before. Any feedback?
    Thanks and ride eyes open...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by The Bakerman View Post
    Does anyone know if BRP will void the warranty if Engine Ice is used? It is reallly hot and humid here in Alvin, TX and I was looking for ways to keep my 2011 SE5 cooler, especially in trafffic. I know about Spyderpops add ons, but I wanted to try and start simple and cheap if possible. I've read alot of good things about Engine Ice, but never used it before. Any feedback?
    Doubt anyone can answer your question. Except BRP. Your owners manual makes recommendations on what to use. BRP recommends a ethylene glycol based product, which ICE is not. Pretty much your call unless you ask BRP.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by The Bakerman View Post
    Out of all the things people put on or take off their Spyders that would be the last thing I'll worry about losing a warranty over.
    Its a good product lots of people have been using it in all kinds of vehicles for years with no problems.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ENGINE ICE

Is there a difference between E.I., and "Water Wetter" ????.....Mike....

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

are your spyder running hot ?? as far as i know they are designed to run ad about 220F that is normal

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Brakeman I have the same hot,and humid weather here also, the spyder has never overheated in the two and half years I have had it at times wil get 5 to,5/2 bars but the fans kick in and all is good. I won't but any thing brp does not cover in manual not taking any chances, to delicate of machine, and don't want any warenty questions.

Spyder Garage

Default Difference

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Is there a difference between E.I., and "Water Wetter" ????.....Mike....
    Engine ICE says it is to be used in replacement of ethylene glycol products and recommends never mixing the two.

Watter Wetter says when added to ethylene and propylene glycol systems it improves heat transfer.

Beyond that - is their a chemist in the house?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Engine Ice is great stuff!
    I used it in a 660 Grizzly that we "686ed" with no other change to the cooling system and it ran cooler than it did when stock; even when just plonking down a trail at walking speed with little or no airflow through the radiator.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

ok i don't know what all this stuff is that your all talking about can you give me some details as to what all this ice and watter stuff is and where is it applied to?

thanks

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    ok i don't know what all this stuff is that your all talking about can you give me some details as to what all this ice and watter stuff is and where is it applied to?

thanks

Anti Freeze/Coolant products.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's a link to their website...
    http://www.engineice.com/
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Engine Ice

Your machine should not be overheating in any kind of weather. If the fan is operating as it should, the engine will not overheat. You may see the temp indicatior move up a bar, but that does not indicate overheating. I took a ride yesterday with the temp hovering around 105 with an indicated 115 on the dash (black top road) with no problem. If your Spyder is shutting down with overheating code have your dealer check it out. This is not to say the heat rising off he Spyder does not get uncomfortable for the operator, it does. Heat off the engine is just one of the things all motorcycles have in common. As to Spyderpops, they have a product that forces more air through the radiator at speed, as well as products to route hot air away from your feet. Both work well, unfortunately in stop and go city conditions they are of little help, as the fan only is moving the air while stopped or moving slowly. Be very careful using non BRP approved products. If you check various threads on this site you will find that warranty issues become troublesome when engine or fluid products not approved are used. Having said what I did, Engine Ice is a product with which I am not familiar.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I added about half a bottle of "hyperlube" about a week ago. It received good reviews from what I've read. From what I've come to understand is that it's not a FIX for overheating, but it helps and won't HURT. It was cheap and put a smile on my face at the end of the day....

It is the same color as regular antifreeze and I cannot imagine how a dealer would ever know it was in there. So warranty concerns are a moot point as far as I'm concerned...

Spyder Garage

Cool Engine Ice

Thanks everyone for your input and advice. I think I'll just stick with BRP recommended products. Don't need the hassle.